close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Discovery and Bear Gryllis part ways

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Bilbo Bagins, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

2. Blankshooter

Blankshooter
    Expand Collapse

Finally it's gone. I think it's been about a dozen times that i've told myself "Hmm, it can't be that bad, I'll try and watch an episode . . . " only to barely make it through the intro credits and turn it off.

As for him launching the survival show concept? No, he did it 2 years too late, and horribly. Les Stroud did it first, did it better, and did it without a camera crew carrying his matches and first aid kit for him.

3. Babynine

Babynine
    Expand Collapse

Les Stroud? What about Ray Mears?

4. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

Just curious, what advice has he ever given that was patently bad or wrong?

5. Akita

Akita
    Expand Collapse
    gone

Stroud launched that TV genre.

Gryliss sleeping in hotels and staging (ie Lying) stuff was proven. Add to that crap that he traveled with a committee, camera crew and more med staff than your average HMO and you can see why he is the laughingstock of people that take this seriously.

I mean, Come On. Stroud carried his own camera and lives in the wild even when not filming. That dudes for real. Gryliss is a TV actor.

6. Unistat

Unistat
    Expand Collapse

I like Bear. He's entertaining and the show says right up front that some of the situations are set up to provide an interesting scenario.

If you watch any of those shows (Survivor Man included) looking for more than entertainment and the occasional good idea, you are making a mistake.

7. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse
    Isaiah 53:4-9

I always liked Les Stroud, because he always looked like a guy who took a nap on a couch, and his buddies dropped him in the middle of nowhere. He wakes up, dusts off the cheetos, and says, "Oh, crap, where did they dump me this time?"

8. Donn57

Donn57
    Expand Collapse
    Just me

Grylls, not Gryllis. If you're going to pound on the guy, at least get his name right.

9. Blankshooter

Blankshooter
    Expand Collapse

Ray Maers is a good one, but his show aired on th BBC after Baer Grylls

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. Aceman

Aceman
    Expand Collapse

This - at the end of the day people forget it's edu-tainment. If it were not for Bear, there wouldn't be any others. Survival fans are often wound a little tight. Bear's message has been beat into people very well. Find the high ground, get to the river, follow it to civilization. Do this fast. Greta advice for most people. Not you guys - but you are not most people if you are reading this.

Bear had a good run.

Most of Les Stroud's show looks like a guy sleeping on the couch. He has often put me to sleep while i was on the couch.

#10 Aceman, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  11. Syclone538

Syclone538
    Expand Collapse

I don't watch much tv, and had assumed his show went off the air a long time ago. I watched a couple episodes the first season, and couldn't believe the risks he would take. I guess entertaining for some, but horrible advice for someone that really was lost by themselves.

I liked Les Stroud, but he would basically just fast for a week, so his show wasn't perfect either.

#11 Syclone538, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  12. r3dot

r3dot
    Expand Collapse

He launched the survival show concept? REALLY? HAHA. Not even to begin counting the old school PBS type crap, but did you forget about Les Stroud? The one who had no crew? The one who actually spent a full 7 days alone, filming himself, and only quit doing the show because of the mass physical and mental strain it had on him? Screw Edward (aka fake name, Bear Grylls).

13. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot
    Expand Collapse
    OIF 04-05

Bear's show was Ok. Les Stroud is booorrreeiiinnnggg. Les spends more time with moving cameras than he does teaching survival skills. I rather watch Duel Survival.

14. pugman

pugman
    Expand Collapse

Not a big watcher of the show; but as I pointed out to my wife IMO Bear's biggest problem was he showed people, in a survival ideology, some pretty dangerous stuff. The whole "I'm going to launch myself down a raging white cap river rather than walk the bank" is just plain stupid and dangerous (of course during his shows he had a life vest under his shirt).

Several times he made some jumps into water which clearly were unnecessary. I know in a survival mode you may need to do some dangerous things but the only rule in these situations is to come out alive. I'm sure he had a member of the film crew check to make sure there were no rocks...then jumped...where in a real emergency situation like this you don't have this luxury.

Having watched Survivor Man and Dual Survival at least they seem to be a little more common sense oriented. I don't recall anything Les did where I though "Ok, that is really dumb."

Dual Survival seems to have some Darwinian moments like going after the honey in a hive of Africanized Honey Bees but for the most part seems pretty responsible

15. Unistat

Unistat
    Expand Collapse

Dual Survival is actually my favorite. Dave and Cody's sometimes opposing views on proper techniques make the show pretty interesting.

16. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

The way he moves across terrains. Jumping off a 40 foot cliff into a boulder filled lake, using just your body to ride a raging river, and climbing up a 100ft rockface will significantly decrease your chances of survival, but I'll be honest, it makes for great TV.

Like I said, I like Bear as a person, and I hate to see him go. My kids love his show for the action and the gross out moments, and I admit they picked up a few geography, and plant and animal facts here and there. Les Stroud may have started first, but I could never sit through an entire show. Les whines, is too serious, and a snoozefest.

17. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Yep - the only thing I found worse, among survival shows, was all of the other survival shows.:upeyes:

Don't get me wrong, I think people who believe it's some kind of reality gameshow, where he's supposed to really be surviving unassisted are idiots. The point of the show is to show how to survive - it's irrelevant whether he leaves the hotel to shoot for 4 hours a day before hitting the bar. However, aside from Gryllis, where do they get the creepy, city-living hippies they put on these shows? They are making survival shows with what seem to be couch potatos who read survival books.

18. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa
    Expand Collapse

who were the two guys --one of them is barefoot almost all the time?

19. itstime

itstime
    Expand Collapse

Being a good friend with A guy who is good friends with one of the persons mentioned in this thread I can say for certain the people who work for the network have more to say what goes on the show than the "experts".

I was told stories where the person didn't want to do what was told to do because he didn't believe it was good advice but had to do certain things anyway.

20. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

I know people who work in the TV and Radio industry and I totally believe what you are saying there.