close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Discovered new grips!

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by PPP, Jan 22, 2010.

1. PPP

PPP
    Expand Collapse

http://www.docgrips.com

Hey all!

A few months ago I was shooting with a buddy at our local gun club and he had some new grips on his comp 1911. I asked him about them and gave them a whirl myself. He said that he had purchased them from a mutual acquaintance who is a firearms instructor.

This gentleman had made them for his own competition guns and a few folks noticed them, liked them, and asked to buy a set, so he made them some.

Though I most often shoot a Glock 34 at the local IDPA matches I noticed quite a few guys sporting this gentleman's new grips on comp day.

I told my wife that "hint-hint" I had tried some new grips that I would love to find under the tree at Christmas.

Sure enough she had a set for me over the Holidays.

I have used the grips quite a bit over the last month and really like them.
    I liked them enough that I thought others would like them too. There might be a small opportunity in this. So I went by the fella's shop today asked him how he would feel about me purchasing his grips and selling them online and we were able to work out a deal. I purchased 10 sets to test the waters.

The guy who makes them is a Dr. as well as a shooter- everybody calls him Doc.

They are quality Micarta grips that he does a treatment to that makes them very aggressive. Each individual can sand them down to their desired level.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260541794859&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_2121wt_923

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!

Attached Files:

• KIM2.jpg
      KIM2.jpg
      File size:
      216.9 KB
      Views:
    • SW2.jpg
      SW2.jpg
      File size:
      258.4 KB
      Views:
    • taur2.jpg
      taur2.jpg
      File size:
      337.4 KB
      Views:
    • Doc.gif
      Doc.gif
      File size:
      12.2 KB
      Views:
  2. PPP

PPP
    Expand Collapse

More pics

3. Cobra64

Cobra64
    Expand Collapse
    Deals in Facts

This?

[​IMG]

4. PPP

PPP
    Expand Collapse

Thank you sir!

#4 PPP, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  5. JustShoot-IT

JustShoot-IT
    Expand Collapse
    GrudgingGlocker

They look great. I'm close to getting a set but a few questions. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Could Doc reverse the pattern, for us lefties? <o:p></o:p>
    Approximately how thick are they? (I have XL hands and wouldn't mind if these grips added a bit to my 1911.) <o:p></o:p>
    What kind of sandpaper/emery cloth would it take to make the grips a "little bit" less aggressive, more concealable-friendly?<o:p></o:p>
    Are they black or more gray in color? <o:p></o:p>
    Would any fixes need to be made to the finish after sanding? (Obviously I'm not familiar with micarta.)<o:p></o:p>

6. PPP

PPP
    Expand Collapse

I believe he can reverse the pattern though I didn't order any that way for my first lot.
    I can order them if you like.
    A simple 60 grit sandpaper does the trick nicely.
    Afterward wipe down with a rem-oil type product to get rid of sanded fibers and restore to a true black appearance.
    This pic should give you a good idea though the flash makes them look shiny and they are more of a matt finish:
    [​IMG]
    The process took me less than 10 minutes. I think the advantage is the truly custom level texture but if you would like I'm glad to sand them to my preferences pre-shipping.
    I send sanding instructions in the package.
    They are "standard" rather than "slim-line" grips; we are currently testing a thin/"slim-line" grip for those interested.

(I will measure them next time I get to the shop.)
    They are slightly thicker than the grips that come on most 1911s quite a bit thicker than the grips that come on the PT1911.

I have only posted them on ebay. Anyone who would like to circumvent the ebay process can email me at brian@docgrips.com

#6 PPP, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010