close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Discouraged

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by pal2511, Nov 26, 2011.

1. pal2511

pal2511

Sep 15, 2002
    KS
    Arrested a gal a month ago for driving while suspended/no vehicle registration/no insurance and 18 over in school zone. Found out court clerk dismissed all of it except speed. Also I arrested same gal a year ago for dws. They dropped that to an infraction with a fine smaller than a speeding ticket.

Saw same person today driving 14 over...figured why bother.

Small town police work has its pluses this is not one of them. I could go on and on. Wtf

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. Revolving door justice discouraging? Absolutely.

So you do what you're supposed to do. Anything after that is beyond your control. So don't take it personally and don't let it bother you. (I know, easier said than done).

Look at it this way, when that person eventually kills some family because she was driving while drunk, and the news media begins to do an investigation, it'll show how the local LE arrested her many times over but it was the rest of the criminal justice system that let the community down.

Remember the old adage that you only worry about what you have control over. Anything beyond that, don't take it personally-it's only business.

Good luck.

3. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    meh the way i see it at least they are paying court costs and taking time out of their day to go to court

4. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Dec 31, 2000
    AZ
    I have a few questions...

- Why is the court clerk dismissing the charges? I know the REAL reason is due to the friendship, but what is the legal justification?
    - Does the clerk have the authority to do it, or does the judge have to approve?
    - Does the judge know about it?
    - Would it be worth sending a written memo to the judge voicing your concerns?

Personally, I would continue writing legit citations to this individual, but make sure you have your ducks in a row.

5. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    I figure in this day and age of Statistics Oriented Policing every stat helps no matter how pointless.

A few years back our managers started comparing how many FIs we wrote and said we weren't writing enough. Most of us were just writing them when we stopped and photographed similars to a crime or gang members. Apparently our managers gazed into their coffee one morning and decided we weren't soing enough. So now every hobo we tell to move along we fill out an FI card. Investigations hates it because they get all of our FIs. Instead of maybe a dozen rock solid usefull FIs they get hundreds of crap and a dozen useful ones.

As far as the revolving door of justice...don't get me started on my county's theory of juvenile justice. Their goal is not not have any kids in juvenile hall...even if that means cutting kids loose who should be in there.

6. trdvet

trdvet

Oct 2, 2004
    I saw this line somewhere, maybe here.

You are only responsible for the effort, not the outcome.

You can beat yourself up for things that are out of your control but you won't last very long.

7. I had one from way back. The ahole gave us a hard time on a DWI arrest. Then he said we took his money / belongings. I went to court ready to hammer this guy. It turned out he was friends with the judge, and got off with the minimums.

It stinks.

8. pal2511

pal2511

Sep 15, 2002
    KS
    Arestee is a business owner in town and loved to throw that around both times. Made stuff up on what I alledgedly did last time. Arestee offered clerk a discount at her store but clerk supposedly denied it

The clerk can call prosecutor and most of time he will dismiss it. Also prosecutor works as a private defense attorney during the day and city prosecutor at night

9. pal2511

pal2511

Sep 15, 2002
    KS
    At least he was charged. Why should honest people that take their lickings when they mess up have to pay when the turds get off on it?

10. Yep I don't know.

11. Although both my hands are on the keyboard, I'm about to ejaculate with this potential conflict of interest. Oooops, did I just say a George Carlin bad? :embarassed:

12. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Why not just file the appropriate state charge, then? Take the city attorney out of the equation.

13. pal2511

pal2511

Sep 15, 2002
    KS
    My boss is the one that decides where it goes otherwise I would

14. pal2511

pal2511

Sep 15, 2002
    KS
    To top it off its in the same county!!

15. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    Is he the judge too? Or just the bailiff?

16. pal2511

pal2511

Sep 15, 2002
    KS
    Nope :)

He is defense Atty for county and city prosecutor in same county

17. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Not a chance
    WTF get out now!

That has all the makings of an I team investigation....

18. Big House

Big House Biggest member

Sep 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    SE Kansas by chance?

19. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Dec 31, 2000
    AZ
    Maybe a call to the state AG's office would be called for.

20. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Stuff like that is why you should cultivate friends who are reporters, they are always looking for a juicy story from an anonymous source.

There is always more than one way to skin skunks.

My motto was "I don't get mad, I get even."

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011