Disappointing DT chrono today from my G20 !!!

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by alpha6164, Jul 30, 2010.

1. alpha6164

alpha6164 alpha6164

So have been meaning take my G20 to the range for sometime to check some numbers and compare DT to some of the other 10mm i have piled up. I just purchased a nice Chrono at Midway and decided to try it out. Weather was 93deg today so definitely nothing that should limit velocity.

I am just going to list the average of 5 shot string from each load.

DT 135gr = 1463 ft/sec
    DT 200gr XTP= 1089 ft/sec
    DT 180 XTP = 1211 ft/sec

Win Silvertips 175gr = 1189ft/sec
    Federal Hydra 180gr = 1070ft/sec

For comparison i also chrono'd some 9mm and 5.56 rounds and those numbers were right on to where they are supposed to be so it is not a equipment issue..

Out of M&P 9mm compact

Federal HST 147gr = 950 ft/sec
    Federal HST 124gr +P= 1135 ft/sec
    Ranger T 147gr = 946 ft/sec
    Corbon DPX 125gr = 1130

Out of 14.5" barrel Noveske=

Privi M193 55gr = 3042 ft/sec
    XM193 55gr = 3056 ft/sec
    Brown Bear 62gr = 2780 ft/sec
    Silver Bear 62gr = 2777 ft/sec

The DT rounds are significantly slower than "advertised" numbers. I understand that the loads i have are not currently available. Since it looks like DT no longer uses GD or XTP bullets. But i doubt the velocities listed currently should be much different for same bullet weight.

DT shows 1600ft/sec for their 135gr and 1300ft/sec for their 180gr and my numbers are way off. They dont even show the 200gr hollow point anymore. The Win Silvertips peformed basically identical velocity wise compared to the DTs.

Also, any thoughts on the current line up of DT 10mm ammo? Are they still the go to guys for 10mm since they no longer carry the GD or XTP? All inputs appreciated.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr GAPist #1944

Which chronograf?

How far away did you place the screens?

Did you correct to muzzle velocity?

Barrel length?

3. PATRICE

PATRICE . . . . .

#3 PATRICE, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  4. alpha6164

alpha6164 alpha6164

I got the Competition Pro from Midway. It has gotten a lot of positive reviews. The screens are a fixed distance apart from each other. I stood 7feet back. I never got an error during the entire session. I did not correct anything, i doubt that at 7ft velocity will drop more than a couple of feet. I have the standard Glock 20 so standard barrel which is what is listed on DT website.

It can not be equipment (chrono) because both my 9mm and AR which obviously have huge differences in velocity range were right on the money.

5. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

As a former customer, I remain unimpressed.

I am very impressed with all the reloading and testing that Mike McNett shared here on Glock talk, and I have no doubt that he is one of the most knowledgeable people there is concerning loading the 10mm cartridge. I think he has a very good idea of what limits stock 10mm chambered firearms can take, but the bottom line is that whenever anyone has tested Double Tap ammo against a chronometer out of their personal gun, the velocities come up short - based on what has been posted on this forum.

I am very much looking forward to the day when I can purchase a chronometer so I can compare the rounds I have to my handloads. I will be surprised if my 200gr. xtp handloads (even the ones below max published #s) don't perform superior to the rounds I purchased from Double Tap in both high velocity and consistent velocity (and I'm only using amateur equipment + stock primers, powders, etc.

As you can see in this picture, Double tap clearly stated the published velocity on the side of their 200 gr. xtp (SIC! These are Montana Gold bullets) "controlled expansion" bullets.

[​IMG]

6. I have heard many issued with DT over the last couple years. It has definitely turned me off of the company. I will deal with Buffalo Bore instead.

7. Isn't Buffalo Bore using the same MT.Glod bullet in their 10mm 180grn hp load - for a lot more money? DT is still the better ammo, I just wish they would go back to premium bullets. XTP and GD .40 bullets are in short supply.
    Better to "roll your own", if you can find the projectiles!

8. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

The last 180 gr BB that I bought had MG bullets. They did not put GDHP on the box though so not misleading.

9. Hmm, I just came on here to see if there was any new info on DT ammo cause I was thinking about ordereing some more. And wouldn't you know, it's the first thread I see. I've been using Georgia Arms for plinking but I have a small stock pile of DT ammo from a couple years ago for defensive ammo and when I want to practice witha little more power. I was thinking about restocking on the DT but maybe I'll hold off, as this isn't the first thread I've read with complaints about them recently.

I recently got a "Hammie Down" Dillon SDB so maybe it's time to gear up, do my research and get to reloading.

10. Angry Fist

Angry Fist *******!!®
    Lifetime Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

Anyone chrono DT's 155gr. BarnesTAC XP? It's my carry load, and said to go 1400... :dunno:

11. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

Join the crowd. I posted a long time back the low numbers I got out of my G20. If I remember right, the 200gr WFNGC did about 1100 FPS (DT claims 1300!). 180gr Gold Dots did the best, around 1250, only 50 fps off. The 155gr Gold Dots did just over 1300 fps (DT claims 1475!). Not terrible compared to some other 10mm loadings, but when you pay velocity, which is essentially what DT is, then you should get it, or at least reasonably close. I can get those numbers using the .40.

However, I did manage to Chrono some DT 357 SIG 115gr Gold Dot and they actually averaged faster than what DT claimed! But in reality, you can expect to get a bit less velocity than what the box says, even with the major manufacturers. Reloading is about the only sure way to really get what you want out of any given cartridge.

#11 SDGlock23, Jul 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  12. i think most of us on glock talk are former customers. i can deal with fraudulent velocities inflated to help sell the product. i just cant deal with a company that labeled a box of ammo with 200grain controlled expansion and send me 180 grain montana golds. i refuse to use any of there ammo for self defense and wont purchase again from them once i use up the last couple of boxes i have.

13. problem is double tap is about the only show in town.

14. I've come to expect the #'s are slightly inflated. I've been shooting it since he opened for business in 2004, I think. It may have been a bit hotter then but getting sued for something or other is always something a good business owner is going to consider. BB does seem to live up to it's #'s. Without a chrono, you could expect DT #'s to match up with Corbon's for weight at a much better deal in nickle plated brass. I have a hard time believing the Barnes load ballistics. That stuff is softer shooting than .40. It makes an excellent SD choice in 10mm IMO.

15. this is true to a point. BB and Cor-Bon make $1+ per round 10mm ammo that is supposed to be a descent h.p. bullet and true or near true speeds.

there are quite a few fly by night companies that go in and out of business (production) periodically....swap fox, elite ammunition, grizzly......none stay in the game long, usually man power, supply problems, personal illness or problems with help, they are small companies sometimes one man deals....so it doesnt take much to put them **** up.

even Reeds ammo which is surprisingly reputable for a small time operation has problems with 10mm componants.

none of the "big three" care enough to do the 10mm properly, and it seems DT has joined them.

16. Where have you been? People have been complaining about DT's velocity numbers for a while. I won't ever shoot it again after the dangerous looking smileys I had on some of his 165GD loads - the closest I ever came to a blow out.

I now shoot handloads exclusively and push a 180gr XTP anywhere from 1200-1290fps with 9.1-9.4gr of longshot and 1.260 OAL. My load I make most frequently is 9.3 gr longshot which averages about 1260fps. Absolutely zero signs of overpressure, no smileys and 100% consistent through over 500 rounds now.

If you like the 10mm my advice is to start reloading. Doubletap is no longer a viable option to many of us 10mm lovers and Buffalo Bore is overpriced and is substituting bullets.

The only commercial load I like is the corbon DPX - out of the G20 there is very little recoil and the x-tac is a great performing bullet. My next endeavor is to buy some xtacs and experiment with longshot. Not much data out yet for these bullets.

17. vaquero aleman

vaquero aleman "ah-lay-mahn"

I've often wondered why the GA Arms 165gn @ 1250fps had as much kick as the DT 135gn @ 1600fps. I guess it's all coming to light now!

18. The recoil of the 135 is so light that i GREATLY doubt it is close to 1600fps. I havent chronoed their crap lately because i prefer retaining all of my fingers. Quality control from DT has been getting scary.

Has anyone handloaded xtacs yet. Recipes? I dont think they need to hit 1400fps to be effective. Corbon loads them to 1200. You may not gain much overdriving these rounds. I love the very light recoil. Velocity window?

19. bullet design and all that jazz aside, id like to find a reputable company that sells affordable 10mm at the original specs, 170gr. @ 1400 fps, 200gr. @1200 fps. those numbers were from a stock gun 5" bbl.

if Win STHP was anywhere close to their claims it'd be a good 10mm round instead of a .40cal round in a 10mm package, and Rem. and Fed dont even come close either.

Cor-Bon is semi close but very expensive, and BB is expensive and only offers heavy loads best suited for hunting.

20. Hardly.