close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Disappointed in DuraCoat so far.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Glockster_221, Feb 13, 2010.

1. bushjumper

bushjumper

Jul 12, 2002
    Arizona, USA!
    On this I agree with you. based on the looks of their website I don't think they actually photographed any of their colors. it looks like they used photoshops color picker and input the color values that best matched their formula.

your best bet is to look for actual photos of finished guns and find out what colors were used.

2. M4J0R T0M

M4J0R T0M

Jan 8, 2010
    GA
    Why not give it a try yourself? That's what I'm doing. If you have the time, talent, and space, you can save a lot of money. So far, I've got the space, still working on the other two.:upeyes:

3. hoffy

hoffy

Jun 12, 2007
    Ohio
    :supergrin:Had to say it, besides I got an older G-21 that has some serious holster burn I been thinking about doing something about, but when I think paint I think WWII Enfields, not a fair comparison,(nothing against Enfields, I have got off 10 rounds in 10 seconds when I was younger) but I have seen some botched Duracoat jobs around here by more than one guy, not Lauer's fault. I probably won't do anything to it, hard chrome maybe......:whistling:

4. ssgrock3

ssgrock3

Aug 10, 2003
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    I agree with the OP, choosing colors online is tough at best. But just like painting in a home, it is not ever going to be a perfect match to the paint swatches, even worse about choosing online, is as said the monitor it is viewed on.. My bosses new computer with a huge hd monitor makes Everything look better, but I still couldn't tell if that is what a color is going to look like in person or on a particular surface. quiz the heck out of whomever is gonna do your gun. If it is that important to you, send them a surface or ask for one of the color you want or colors on a piece of polymer like your gun. I have seen people spend a lot of money getting their colors perfect for them. It is important to them and to you it looks like, don't short yourself over a few bucks, and beating up the vendors is not going to help. They can only do so much for a guy researching their product. but you could probably even ask them for the same type sample of the color on a piece of material, yes they will charge, but it will give you a better perspective. Good luck. Show us pics once it is done. Are you going to do the whole gun or ?

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    A while back I wanted a Glock frame sprayed in MagPul foliage green
    I sent the frame and a rail cover to Gary. He nailed the color, simply outstanding!

6. Rick from Kali

Rick from Kali

Sep 21, 2002
    Kalifornia
    Glockster_221,
    here is a photo of my girlfriends 10/22 that i did three years ago and i have to say that it looks just as good today as the day i finished it. the DuraCoat finish is very durable. they also have a bake-on DuraCoat finish which i am going use on a 1911 of mine in the spring. the trick in makinging the finish stick well is to bead blast the piece with 120 grit aluminum oxide which is what i did. so when you get back down this way during one of your breaks and you finally have picked out the color you want i can finish your pistol for you no charge. all you have to do is supply the DuraCoat. would take about a week to do. call me on the phone if interested.
    Rick
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  7. Nice work on that 10/22. I appreciate the offer, I'll think about it, even though I'm pretty set on Oakridge Custom Finishing.

8. I've decided that I'm going to get the frame coated in Desert Beige. The slide, trigger, slide release, take down levers, and pins on the top will be in black. The mag button and mag wells will also be in Desert Beige. It's going to look GORGEOUS.

Rick: did you do ALL those colors yourself or just the barrel? Simply outstanding!

9. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

Aug 10, 2008
    the old cliche- there are so many things wrong with this thread

Color swatches
    Complaining about 4 bucks. I think I tip more than that at lunch. BIG DEAL.
    Saying how a gun will look GORGEOUS.

There goes the neighborhood:tongueout:

10. A computer monitor screen's color is NOT accurate unless you have it calibrated to some known and accepted standard, the last time I check the device was $500.00. :whistling:

11. guns54

guns54 toni

Aug 10, 2008
    Ohio
    by the bus boys in 1980.

12. doc540

doc540

Apr 25, 2007
    Deep SE Texas
    Sorry to hear you're having problems.

I went the no-brainer route:
    [​IMG]

13. blackdevil

blackdevil

Feb 18, 2013
    wpb, fl.
    duracoat is ok, but i switched to cerakote.on a piece ofsprayed paper. the color will be different. same goes for a piece of sprayed pvc.all colors will vary.did they take gun back, and re do for you.i would.louis blackdevil firearms. 561 635 0000.