close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Disabling a Touchpad-- WinXP

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by IndyGunFreak, Oct 25, 2008.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I've got a friend w/ a laptop that is running XP Pro, and she wants to disable the touchpad, and use a mouse. It definitely can't be disabled in the BIOS, any clues? You would think this would be very easy, but I can't find an entry for it in Device mgr. to disable it..

IGF

2. havensal

havensal Nozzle Jockey CLM

Aug 14, 2003
    Western, NY
    What kind of laptop?

Many Dell models have an option to disable the touchpad when a mouse is connected. :cool:

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Hmm, well this looks like its gonna be a ridiculous exercise.

Its an Acer laptop(the exact model escapes me, but its similar to mine)...
    I did some googling on "Disable Touchpad WinXP" and got a lot of references to the Synaptic Touchpad utility, and needing to install her touchpad drivers inside of the STU.

I'll have to look more in to this later, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

IGF

4. srhoades

srhoades

Jul 14, 2000
    Is she a really clumsy typer that she often hits the touchpad? Otherwise it is not required to disable the touchpad in order to use a mouse.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    That is indeed the problem... shes constantly hitting the touchpad.

IGF

6. dotsun

dotsun Shark Stomper

Mar 25, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Speaking as the only person I've ever met that hates a damn touchpad, I can say that the synaptics driver will indeed let you disable it. Those things are the spawn of satan. :)

7. DragonRider

DragonRider

Jun 6, 2002
    NoVA
    You should also be able to change the sensitivity of the pad as well.

8. srhoades

srhoades

Jul 14, 2000
    If you don't have the synaptic driver installed it should just show up as a PS/2 compatible mouse in device manager. You should be able to disable that.

9. justinsn95

justinsn95 Im in jail...

Exactly. Or use Msconfig to find it on startup, thats what i did. I had to find it (if im not mistaken i think i asked here) cause i imaged my laptop drive over to a desktop computer and that little driver was hogging up 99% of my CPU cause i guess it was looking for what to do or something. Found it, fixed it.

Should be this: syntpenh.exe

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I tried that, but it doesn't give me the option to disable it...

11. Many laptops simply have a button somewhere around the touchpad that lets you turn it on or off. all three of mine have one directly above the touchpad that turns it off completely.