DirectTV

Discussion in 'The Furball Forum' started by bustedknee, Sep 3, 2010.

1. bustedknee

bustedknee Curmudgeon

There has been a rash of 771 and 771a trouble codes recently. I suspect it was the recent software update. They are charging $50 for a service call. How is that for a scam?

Or you can pay $5.99 a month for the service contract. It is for a mininum of one year and if you cancel it early, there is another fee. How is that for a scam?

If you say, "Screw the service call, it is your equipment and it don't work.", they will cancel your service and then charge you a fee for ending the 2-year contract early. How is that for a scam?

Here is the fix. I have both an HD and a standard receiver. I canceled the standard receiver. That saves me $5 a month. That almost pays for the service contract.

I will reduce my service every time they raise their rates or add a fee until I am down to the very basic and at the end of the contract period I will go to another company for my monthly screwing.

In the mean time, I may need a service call once a month. :winkie: Wink, wink.

I can't believe Direct TV can be so stupid as to put themselves out of business.
    :animlol:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    DirectTV or Dish Network - which one and why or why not... The Okie Corral Jun 11, 2015
    DirectTV HD installation problem Tech Talk Nov 20, 2006

3. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

If you don't like DirecTV, you will definately hate Dish network.

4. bustedknee

bustedknee Curmudgeon

That is not good news. :crying:

ComCast is really hated around here. :rant: Everybody is a scammer nowadays.

Which reminds me, What is wrong with the economy?

5. Netflix streaming is the answer you seek.

6. comcast is expensive, but my internet is fast, and HD is great. I can even watch pretty much any tv show on the computer on demand with Xfinity. Expensive, but I think Comcast is the most trouble free provider of Digital cable. Started with them like 10 years ago and have not had a single "service call". Lol.

7. bustedknee

bustedknee Curmudgeon

If this ever happens with DirectTV. They will layoff all their technicial people.

I'm considering starting my own DirectTV service call service.

For 25$ I will show up at your home, do the level checks, inspect connectors, cables, dish alignment, tighten nuts and bolts, ship parts, etc.

If I have to initiate a real $50 service call I will not charge. :animlol:

8. bustedknee

bustedknee Curmudgeon

Problem fixed!

Contract expired so I went with Citizen Cable (7 SW VA counties) for Phone, Computer, and TV.

Any problems - they show up. And cost is less.

They ran an underground cable to my house so as to not ruin my view. Wow.
    No contract period unless I want their only scam (so far, at least) a "free" Blu-ray player.

I still get junk mail from DT offering me all sorts of scams. It never fails to give me a good laugh.

9. I had the same exact problem with Direct TV years ago. I started losing channels gradually until I was left with 3. I call up and tell them that I need it fixed. They tell me I have 3 choices:
    1. I can pay $90 for a service call
    2. I can pay $12 a month for a "protection plan"
    3. I can try to adjust the dish itself

I choose option 3 after arguing about the cost of the service call. I lose all 3 remaining channels. I call up Comcast and schedule re-hook up with them. I call Direct TV back to cancel. They offer a free service call to keep me as a customer. I tell them to f off, it's too late, they should have done that sooner. An insider in the industry told me they do this to their customer every 2 years and it is absolutely a software issue on THEIR end.

10. bustedknee

bustedknee Curmudgeon

They left their dish on the hill behind my house (in my yard) -- just in case. Haha

It looks like a target stand to me. :animlol:

11. RichardB

Silver Member

Those of us who use the cable pay more and whine also. I can get one good channel with rabbit ears and 4 more with a full TV antenna. My short wave radio picks up dozens of Spanish language stations.:cool: But regettably I don't understand that language, yet

12. Have had Dish since 2004. Never had any problems. Thing just works.

13. as soon as my contract is over... no more Direct TV for me.

14. unfortunately i contracted a "bundle package" with Verizon and Direct TV; big mistake. no more packages for me... when two separate companies are wrapped up in services that i pay only one of the companies for.

15. Billua

Billua Lake Mead Explr

It must be the part of the country. I live in Vegas and the cable company is Cox Communications.

They had been raising their rates continuously to a ridiculous point while their dvr offerings as wells as HD offerings paled Directv's.

We switched 5 years ago and are very happy with the Directv product and have had zero problems.