close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Dillon Roller Handle

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ron59, May 4, 2010.

1. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    Got my Roller Handle today to replace that "ball" handle the 550 comes standard with. I loaded 15,000+ with that thing, and I could shoot myself for not having done it sooner. Oh. My. Gosh.... that roller handle is too cool. I only loaded 50 or so to try it out, but it was alot nicer. I would get some hot spots on my hands with that ball handle when loading 400-500 rounds, as it doesn't move, your hand has to.

Does everybody else also use the Roller Handle, or stick with the ball ?

Also got my Redding Competition Seater die... didn't take the time to set that up, probably this weekend.

I love new toys!!

2. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I got the metal roller handle. I like it a lot. I have it a little bent in towards me. Try that as well.

I am really curious how you like that Redding Seater Die. Post up some pictures on the press for us please.

3. MarcusT

MarcusT

Jan 1, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    I Have not used it on the 550 yet but on the 650 it is great. When I get back to using the 550 I'll have to give it a try.

4. kshutt

kshutt

Aug 24, 2001
    Oklahoma
    Ron,

Man, if I loaded as many rounds as you do, I might have to buy a roller! I've just stuck with the stock handle, but I'm not opposed to ordering one the next time I need something from Dillon. I might give it some thought if it made that much difference to you!

5. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    I love my roller handle. I've never even tried the ball on a 550b, but on my singles stage presses I hated the ball. The roller is a huge improvement.

6. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Makes all the difference in the world on the LNL, probably going to order a second one. Haven't been using the 550 all that much lately but after feeling the difference I'm not opposed to changing that one either.

Was very much surprised at the difference.

Jack

7. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Roller handle is the only way too go.:thumbsup::thumbsup: I took the straight handle that was on my Rock Chucker off and put the Dillon round ball on it.
    The strong mount and bullet tray makes a big difference also.

8. BBJones

BBJones

Mar 2, 2010
    Darn you guys! Always giving me new ways to go spend money.

9. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Thanks! I didn't know Hornady made a roller handle for the LnL.

10. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    I'm pretty sure he bought a Dillon roller handle and painted it red:whistling:

11. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

:rofl:

12. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    I ordered it when I first bought my XL650 per the advise of someone who had the ball.

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    :rofl:

Hornady doesn't, it's something somebody else out there came up with... Frankly, that's an idea Hornady should have had from the beginning, and they let an end user beat them to the punch.

http://ultimatereloader.com/?p=340

14. Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law

Nov 1, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Until I got the new handle, I use to sometimes use a "golf" glove on my right hand pulling down the handle. With the optional roller handle things are much better and a tremendous difference on the hand......not to mention your wrist!

:supergrin:

15. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    A couple of years ago someone posted a picture of there LNL that they installed a Dillon roller handle on it.

16. tlafrance

tlafrance Missing AZ

Feb 5, 2001
    Connecticut
    With the old ball handle, the 550 gave me a blister right in the middle of my palm. Folks used to ask just WHAT I was doing to get one there:wow: I added a plastic roller handle of the first generation when they originally came out. It differs from the current model in that it was tapered from LARGE to Small towards the handle causing my hand to drift all the time. Years later, I replaced it under warranty with the new design which is triangular and the same thickness throughout, MUCH better. In retrospect, I'd recommend getting the aluminum type and never look back. For you folks in colder climates where the handle gets chilly, grab some hockey tape and give it a few wraps to keep your hand from freezing up :tongueout:

Tom

17. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    Yep, mine is slightly "bent" towards me as well, I'll probably play with it some over the next few weeks.

And I'll definitely get some pics up of the seater (and my reloading area), probably over the weekend.

I waited as that was the only thing (at the time) that I was wanting from Dillon, and just didn't want to plop down the $40+ for it. But when Steve (C4W) told me about that Redding Competition Seater die, I saw that Dillon sells it for close to the same price as Midway, I decided to get that along with the maintenance kit and some more primer pickup tubes.

I've got 9 pickup tubes now, so I can basically load an entire brick of primers at one sitting (put the first 100 straight into the machine after picking them up), then fill 9 tubes. I know some guys say they like to take a break and pickup primers between loading 100, but I like to just drop primers in and load whenever I have a few minutes. Minus the primer pickup part, I can load 200 in 20 minutes or so.

I'm loading so much... within the next few years I can see jumping to a 650 (1050?) with a case feeder and get one of those Mr. Bullet things... all I'll have to do is pull the handle, and keep the supplies (case feeder hopper, powder hopper, primer feed tube) loaded up. *If* I'm still loading at my current rate in another year, it will happen for sure.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  18. 21 shooter

21 shooter

Aug 22, 2001
    NC
    The roller handle is the best money I have spent in a long time. The round ball was causing me problems in long loading sessions.

19. Matt Berry

Matt Berry

Dec 4, 2007
    I agree, the aluminum roller handle was the best thing I have bought for my 550b, it made a huge difference.

The other things that have been more of a convenience is buying another primer assembly (reduces switching from LPP to SPP) and additional powder measures.

20. proraptor

proraptor

Aug 8, 2007
    California
    I also have the blue roller handle on my 550B and love it so nice and smooth