Dillon, Lee, Hornady Progressive Comparison

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by EL_NinO619, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Picture of the LnL and it's primer setup screwed into the subplate. You can see half the primer punch setup.

Picture of the Dillon Setup on top of the same plate. You can see how big it is in comparison. It has ample primer punch movement because it's 5X bigger.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. [​IMG]

This is the most important part on the Case Feeder slider setup. You can see it captures the rim of the case, it also has a channel for the primer to move in if there is any primer flow around the firing pin. This is common on brass fired out of a Glock. With out it your just trying to push a case that doesn't sit flat on the subplate into the shell holder. Sometimes it will work, occasionally you will have issues. Hornady simply does not have this part. And on top of it all your moving the case over the spring which is not flat and aggravates the issue.

3. I have owned A few Lee presses and two LNL's (pre and post EZ), only progressive metallic reloading machines I have now are Dillons.

Sometimes it's fun to tinker with things but sooner or later you just want something that works.
    #23 jmorris, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  4. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

It's funny because the Pro1000 has no controlled feed. The cases flop down on a flat slide and are pushed into the shellplate by a concave slider. There's no relief for fired primers either. It works great.
  5. My Load Master slider was the same. It worked better then the LnL as well. It's more then likely the spring recess causing the majority of issues on the LnL.
  6. IndyGunFreak..."Curious.. which Dillon are you considering?"

I have found that reloading presses are like the ammunition we shoot - it is specific to the shooter and the gun he/she is shooting.

For my reloading needs and anticipated ammunition use the 650 with several optional toys is my first choice. I know this will be a substantial investment but as I pointed out I like to buy things once. Based on others personal experiences, what each company offers, track record, and about 1/2 a dozen other things (pressure to buy a Dillon not being one of them), I feel for as along as the good Lord lets me live down here, this press will serve all my needs... and I am quite sure my son's after me.
  7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak KO Windows

Given some of your past posts, I'm fairly convinced you could figure out how to turn a washing machine into a reloading press.

If the LNL annoyed you to the point you went Dillon, I'd take that as a pretty good indication to stay away.
  8. shotgunred

shotgunred reloading nut

You won't be disappointed with the 650.
  9. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

I agree with what he said on the LnL. And I am not saying anyone is a liar on this forum. He really should not even be comparing a 650 to a LnL. My LnL works, I have no problems with priming. It never jams because of spilt powder, though I don't spill a lot of powder. The lock and load bushing I have are all uniform and tight. I simply have never seen this write up and was sharing it, that's all.
  10. EL_NinO619

1) How is it not mostly controlled, I have never had a issue with the ramp our drop tube, only with the bowl.

2) Never have had this happen in thousands of rounds.

3) I have witnessed Dillons powder measure and I disagree, Hornadys is way better. Just as accurate to .01 gr, throws stick powder a million times better. The Dillon just will not throw stick. I also have seen and had squib loads using Dillons powder measure, the bar jams up.

4) I prime with ease, but I did add a metal shim to reduce the dimple travel. I also like the primer change over better on the LnL.

5) Agree, but I don't think its that big off a deal

6) Hornday is a lot quicker and cheaper as far as caliber changes PERIOD.

All this said, I still want a 650 and a 1050 especially a 1050. I own many Dillon products and they are all great, same with hornady. Some have flaws, some do not, each product is different.

The 650 is a better machine PERIOD, but it is also twice as much if you included tool heads. The LnL takes some tweaking, Some of the machines are purely flawed apparently (Ex Colorado) but not all. I think the article has value, is it the bible on which press to get. Hell no. But neither is the words of a Dillon owner or a Hornady owner.
  11. Yes, the 650 cost more, yes the caliber conversion with the primer change is more time consuming if you have to switch primers sizes. You can buy a primer setup and it won't take long at all. But when it comes to a press that can crank out 100 rds in 5 mins for under 1K the 650 has no peers. it's that simple
  12. Can the Dillon 650 be used without an automatic case feeder?
  13. shotgunred

shotgunred reloading nut

yes you manually fill the case tube.
  14. XDRoX

Yes. I don't know why I don't come around here more often. I forget how fun these threads can be :supergrin:
  15. EL_NinO619

I guess I have a knack for riling up Colarado4wheel. :supergrin: Just kidding man. I already said the 650 is better, what else do you want? :embarassed:

But I think someone just bought a LnL to prove it does not work.......:steamed:
  16. Yes. That is what me and Boxer both did. Risk loosing money, and 5 months of agony. Failure to fire ammo in matchs. Just to make a stupid point. That makes sense.

When I got my LnL pretty much everyone I talked to said it was a good press. Remember Jack has two and I got to play with them and watch them work.
  17. EL_NinO619

I kid I kid. But it would be cool just to buy another color press and make it "not" work just to ruffle feathers. :rofl:

I really I'm contemplating selling one of my LnL's and getting a 650, or save a little while and get a 1050.
  18. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Just to be clear it wasn't me that bought one as well... it was Shotgunred. I did get to play with one for several hundred rounds prior to buying my 650 and occasionally load on one a buddy has when I need some .45ACP as I like to shoot "heavy metal" 3-gun with a borrowed 1911 and my AK once in a while.
    I read that review article you posted Justin back when I was making my decision to move to a case feeder progressive. That gentleman did a pretty good job. Though the one thing he stated that his requirements of only 500 an hour is what turned me off actually even trying the LNL. At that rate I would have stayed with either one of my SDBs. My needs are for a press that absolutely minimizes my time at the bench. I never had any faith in the LNL case feed shuttle, the 650 station 1 locator is clearly to me a better design. One thing I did notice right away in differences between the two presses is the leverage of the 650 is far greater than the LNL, in both sizing and priming. The advantage on the 650 is if you do have a military 9mm crimped case sneak by it's easily detectable.
    The 1050 is a beast. I've had 2 friends come over to prep brass on the 650 and them load on the 1050 and they just can't say enough to echo my feelings on the set-up. For me it money well spent, as must as I thought the super swage was pretty good.... it was an chore. I love having the ability to just literally start from scratch with clean .223 brass... size and trim 300 cases in 20 minutes, tumble for 30 minutes to remove the lube... toss the brass in the 1050 case feeder and load then up in another 30 minutes. :supergrin:
  19. shotgunred

shotgunred reloading nut

I am way to much of a CRB to spend money on a press just to ruffle feathers. If I had not already owned the 550 I would have figured out all the issues of the LNL. However I just couldn't couldn't see keeping a press that cost more that the one I had when it didn't work as well for me. Any of the major presses out there are capable of making more ammo than the average person needs. Buy a press figure it out and make some ammo.