close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dillon Electronic Scale: 50 gr calibration weight

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Kwesi, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Kwesi

Kwesi
    Expand Collapse

Just curious if anyone has checked the accuracy of their calibration weight? While I check the calibration regularly, last night was the first time I actually weighed the weight.

Mine reads between 50.02 - 50.04 on AC power, no fan or A/C running and inside the home. I called Dillon and was told that is not a problem and basically in spec. Unfortunately I do not have any match weight tips to check it against. I did check a few PD 115gr tips and they varied as well 115.02 - 115.04.

I'm assuming this is not an issue that I should be concerned about since in the end my loaded charge will be .02 - .04 light. I'm loading near the upper end of the load range.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

Most scale manufacturers advertise that their scale is with in .1gr accuracy (1 tenth grain).

Yours in within .04gr accuracy (4 1/100s?). Pretty damn accurate.

3. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

You can never use bullets as check wts, they can vary quite a lot. My Dillon check wt weighs right on at 50gr. I have cross checked it w/ a set of Lyman check wts, within the 0.1gr tolerance.

#3 fredj338, Oct 30, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  4. tac_driver

tac_driver
    Expand Collapse

Mine is 50.00 grams. When you measured it did you put the wind screen on? It has a metal strip that is suppose to cancel out any static charges.

5. Kwesi

Kwesi
    Expand Collapse

I put the wind screen on and it settled at 50.03! My neighbor has the same scale so I'll weight it on his.

6. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

How can you check the weight? If you calibrate the scale the scale assumes that weight is 50.00 so then it's not going to show the weight as anything other then what it was calibrated too. If you don't calibrate the scale then it's not as accurate.

7. Kwesi

Kwesi
    Expand Collapse

First I calibrated per the manual = Cal F then put the 50gr weight back on & it 's +.03. I was thinking that I could possibly verify by checking by using my friends scale with my 50gr then vice versa.

From your reply it appears I'm overlooking something?

8. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

From my understanding of how they are supposed to work.....

If you calibrate a scale with the weight then it should read that weight. So if the weight is 49.8 grams but the scale thinks the weight is 50gr it's going to adjust that calibration up to 50gr and the scale would be off.

9. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure if your scale is different than mine. I have the older model with the 700 grain calibration weight. But if those are the only steps you are taking, it sounds like you are just using the weight as a check weight, instead of a calibration weight.

My manual says

1. Without the powder pan, zero the scale
    2. Press and hold the grains/Grams key for four seconds until the display indicates "700 grains" blinking
    3. Press the off key once, the display will show "Cal 0"
    4. Gently place the calibration weight on the platform and wait until "Cal F" is displayed

The scale is now ready to use.

Again, the newer scale may be calibrated differently, but that is how mine works.

10. Kwesi

Kwesi
    Expand Collapse

That's exactly what mine states except is blinks 50.00. The manual goes on to state "if you would like to check the calibration, replace the 50 gram weight on the platform and the display should read 50.00". I'm then at 50.03.

11. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs
    Expand Collapse

I think there is nothing wrong with your scale. The cal weight probably simply weighs 50.03 and that is what the scale is calibrating to. That is most likely well within design range, as Dillon stated, or you would get the error message instead of the actual weight display.

If you think about it, the manual states that the resolution is .01 Grams, and 0.1 grains. If you are getting a .03 figure on the cal weight, that should be increasing your confidence in the machine even more because you know it can read that low. The machine is doing what it is claimed to be able to do.

As long as it states 50.03 during cal, and when you are simply checking the cal weight, with some degree of repeatability, you are golden.

If it said 50.03 during cal, and 49 or 51 when you just weight check, I would be worried.

12. Homechicken

Homechicken
    Expand Collapse

0.03 is a minute error, and not worth any concern. If it were reading 50.3 I would be concerned. 49.9 to 50.1 is within specs. Buy a set of check weights. I have check weights ranging from 0.5 to 20.0 grains. Since I load only pistol calibers at the moment, I use 0.5 to 5.0 grain weights after I calibrate to be sure the scale is reading accurately. Taking into account the +/- 0.1 grain specs, I never load to minimum or maximum. Always 0.1 grain over min or under max just to be safe. But then I usually find charges somewhere on the low side of half way in between min and max work best.

13. Kwesi

Kwesi
    Expand Collapse

Ok. It's just that I've only been reloading for about 8 months and I'm really trying hard to be accurate and safe, especially when I'm close to a max. weight.

14. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

All these people using "grains" and "grams" interchangeably and someone's going to be so "calibrated" they are going to blow something up. Oh well, if they do, they can always blame it on an unsupported chamber.

15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

.o2 Grams is .46 Grains

Thats not a insignificant mount depending on how that translates down to the lower part of the scale we use for pistol.

You guys need REAL check weights in the grains that you actually are using. Before I bought some I made a 5gr weight. I would zero the beam scale and then check it at 5 grains. That gave me some confidence in the scale. It doesn't matter if its dead freaking on. It just needs to be consistent.

16. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo
    Expand Collapse

My RCBS RangeMaster 750 uses a 30g weight to calibrate the 50 gram section. This 30g (462.96grains) is right on..., well within 0.1 grain on my 50yr-old Ohaus 505 balance beam scale.

Note this: 1 gram = 15.4323584 grains
    Also, your one pound of "any" powder contains 7000 grains, so you can easily calculate how many cartridges you can load from that pound of powder. With our handgun ammo... we can approximate that 7000/5 grains = 1400.

As mentioned previously, some folks say grams when they mean grains. Obviosly, not a good idea.

Sonnytoo

#16 Sonnytoo, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  17. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs
    Expand Collapse

I looked over the entire thread again. I still don't see a single person using grains and grams interchangeably. The scales being discussed can weigh in grains and grams, and are calibrated in grams.

18. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

People are posting about how the OP's scale is accurate to X.XXg so that it must be accurate enough since it only is supposed to be accurate to X.Xg. So he's talking grams, they are talking grains, everybody is switching back and forth, and for what?

The more people dick around with trying to split atoms with their powder charges, the more they seem to post pictures of blown up guns. The powder itself varries more than the scale or the measure that dumps it. So maybe everyone should start doing their own mass spectroanalysis or whatever it is and waste even more time and blow up more guns.

People would be better served by having a better understanding of why powder scales are calibrated in tenths of a grain. It's because that's all that matters. Do carpenters send their tape measure to the Bureau
    of Standards to be calibrated to the thousandth of an inch?

Furthermore, that check weight so many people spend all day trying to get their scale to match to the seventh significant digit, changes too. Do you touch it with your fingers? Does it oxidise? The oil on your fingertips and the oxygen in the air will change the weight of that check weight.

I don't know why the checkweight would be in grams when the scale is being used for grains. It's just asking for trouble. Lyman and others sell checkweights in grains, which is what matters. 50 grams is 771 grains. Why is the scale being checked for accuracy at 771 grains unless y'all are weighing 50BMG bullets?

19. Kwesi

Kwesi
    Expand Collapse

Actually 50 grams = 771.616 grains ;-)

20. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Exactly. Thats why I suggest just making your own test weight in the area you use the most. For me I just used a blue tip from the primer tube of my 550. It was 5grs on my scale and it never changed so that was good enough for me. I now have real check weights. I can use them to zero the beam at 3grs and know that I have 3 grs. In the end the beam is balanced at 3grs and zero grains so it makes zero real difference.