close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Dillon 550b powder filler crushing 9mm cases

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by YamaLink, Apr 24, 2010.

1. YamaLink

YamaLink

Mar 11, 2010
    In the last day of reloading many of my 9mm cases have not been going in straight and the rim is being crushed: station #2 in the Dillon 550b.

Glock 34. No issues with casings the last two or three tumbles. Low powder charges of WSF at 4.9 and oal of 1.150 with MG FMJ 124.

Once in a while the top of the case will be crushed by the powder filler. I'll see it and push the case over a hair and then the powder filler goes in straight.

Everything is tight on the Dillon. Once the powder-filled case goes to the bullet seating station everything is good to go.

Mixed brass. Used about 5 or 6 times.

Are the cases getting weak and unable to withstand the normal "push" to the side of the powder filler?

Not all my cases are doing this. Maybe 25%. Just the last day.

2. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Make sure you have the right "buttons" in. Take a piece of fine 600g sand paper & polish the nose of the powder thru expander. Then just slow down a bit. The faster you go, the more momentum yo ugive the little cases & they start moving around.

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Check what Fred said. Beyond that I say machine is out of adjustment in some way.

4. YamaLink

YamaLink

Mar 11, 2010
    Thanks! I was concentrating on the upper part of the reloader and didn't realize..... The shellplate was a bit loose and not all the cases were seated straight up/down. Visually, obviously, sideways on those "bad" cases.

5. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

May 21, 2007
    i had the same issue. Make sure your shellplate is not too loose. tighten it all the way down and back it of till your shell plate can index with finger pressure

6. Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law

Nov 1, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    It's the shell plate that's causing the problem. Tighten it up a bit and all will be well. The same thing happened to me while loading .223. Simple fix and you'll be back in business.

7. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Sounds like too loose a shellplate (or the wrong one or pins).

Too loose a shellplate won't hold the brass vertical and won't click into the index ball properly. Do you have the brass tip screw tightened down?

8. rifleman56

rifleman56

Nov 28, 2005
    Mckinney, Texas
    I"m having the same problem. I didn't know the pins were different. how do you know which one goes where?

9. kimberguy2004

kimberguy2004

Jan 14, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    All of the pins in a given conversion kit are the same. He was taling about using pins with the wrong number stamped on them..

10. mteagle1

mteagle1

Oct 17, 2008
    Great Falls, MT
    9mm locator buttons have a 3 stamped in them.

11. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

May 21, 2007
    just loaded 400 9mm

no problems #3 buttons tighten the shellplate all the way down and then back off till it turns with finger pressure.

BTW loading with lubed brass rocks

12. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    Been having the same problem the last week.
    Polishing the powder funnel didn't make a difference. I took the shell plate off and cleaned everything. maybe I just like my plate to loose. It sure doesn't happen with the 40.

13. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    If your powder funnel is crushing cases your either got the wrong buttons or your shellplate is loose. Thats about all I can think of. Polishing the funnel will help with any sticking but not with crushing cases. Crushing things is a alignment issue.

14. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    As already stated, the problem is caused by a loose shellplate. Been there, done that. I have a thread here somewhere with pics of three 9mm casings that I'm sure look just like yours do.

Loosen the set screw for your shellplate bolt, remove the shellplate and give the area under the shellplate a good cleaning. Reinstall and tighten to just allow indexing. Don't forget to retighten the set screw.