close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dillon 550 Do I really need all this

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Rickenbacker53, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman
    Expand Collapse

2. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

If you forgo the strong mount, the next time you go to the grocery store pick up a package of bullet trays (low height Glad-lock storage containers). They're a lot cheaper there, and work well just sitting on the bench. I also use the large containers for holding cases when performing case prep on a large batch of .223.

3. CA Coach

CA Coach
    Expand Collapse

I dunno.... Just sayin' what I've seen. Like I said, other dies WILL work just fine, but when humming along at a good pace the Dillons seem to bind a little less, and I know they're built different for that reason. :dunno: Not meant as a slam on other brands at all. And by "your press won't go" I didn't mean it is catastrophically seized, I just meant I've seen people have to wiggle the ram a little to make it go.

#23 CA Coach, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  4. frickster

frickster
    Expand Collapse

If you are keeping the lee you can use the auto prime as a flip tray by flipping them back onto the clear cover and picking them up off of it.

5. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

The only die that this really helps with is the Sizing Die. And when loading .40 shoot out of a Glock it's the first die to get replaced by a Lee or other brand because the Dillon doesn't size low enough for some people. The have chambering issues. So it's kinda hard to push people on the advantages of the Dillon when you run a chance it won't work if the guy is using Glock brass in a 1911 style .40.

6. kcbrown

kcbrown
    Expand Collapse

Wouldn't a Lee factory crimp die take care of this issue?

7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Not always. And it's not recommended with lead. I stopped using mine anyway. I use a regular crimp die for everything.

8. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman
    Expand Collapse

The lee website has a video of them using the factory crimp die on a lead bullet

Reloading process demonstrated

under help videos

#28 Hydraulicman, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  9. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

IMO, the LFCD is designed to fix minor problems that can occur from slighlty sloppy technique. I have not used a LFCD & have not missed it. A taper crimp die works well w/ all bullet styles. While you can use the LFCD like a taper crimp die, over crimping on plated & lead bullets hurts accuracy.

10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Opps, double post.

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Well, they sell the thing, of course they want you to use it. I used to think it was best thing. Then I took it off the press when I started using lead, then I tried it with my jacketed and noticed it was sizing about 1 out of every 10 rounds "just a little bit". It bugged me so much I just don't use it. It makes zero difference because the standard Lee die I have seems to size a little smaller then some others. So needing to resize is just not needed. I case gauge everything now and never have anything fail due to a sizing issue. That has really sold me on not needing a FCD because my ammo always passes the casegauge unless it's a defective case and then the FCD isn't going to make a ounce of difference.

12. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman
    Expand Collapse

Back to the original topic ......:whistling:

13. dudley

dudley
    Expand Collapse

I have a Dillon 550, but use it to load only target loads.

Self Defense Storing for SHTF I use a single stage press

14. paintballwannab

paintballwannab
    Expand Collapse

I actually had Dillon dies in my 550 and had to switch to a lee undersizing die for .40 because the Dillon die wasn't working correctly.

15. LightningCrash

LightningCrash
    Expand Collapse

5 star thread... I was looking at buying a 550 and was googling for what accessories I need, found this.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

16. Dexters

Dexters
    Expand Collapse

I'd suggest getting the manual first and then determining what is needed.
    I see a few things missing from the list e.g. - caliper, scale, impact hammer

Lee has good products.

17. Narc1911

Narc1911
    Expand Collapse
    Anchora Salutis

550B in a caliber you load

Scale (Assume you own)

Primer Flip Tray

Reloading Manual (Assume you own)

Caliber conversion kits in each additional caliber you load

Above is all that is required to load what you want.

Things like the strong mount, roller handle, additional pick up tubes, and toolheads are all nice, but they can be bought later to soften your initial investment.

I prefer Dillon dies, but I reloaded thousands of round on Lee dies before I felt the need to switch to Dillon.

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Well, considering he's loading on a Turret, he's probably got those 3 items...

That said, there's some stuff on there you should definitely have, like manuals. Do you load w/o manuals on your LCT?

IGF

19. oldsoldier

oldsoldier
    Expand Collapse

Go here: http://brianenos.com/ Check this website out for great information on the Dillon presses. Then give Brian Enos a call and talk it over. He will not sell you anything you don't really need to get started.

20. RustyFN

RustyFN
    Expand Collapse

Your Lee dies will work in the Dillon. I have used both dies and prefer Lee dies.