close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Digital scale recommendation for noob

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by TQuigg, Aug 29, 2012.

1. TQuigg

TQuigg
    Expand Collapse

Hi all:

Back again with yet another noob question.

Digital scales.... looking for recommendations.

I've searched the forums and read several posts regarding this topic with great interest. I've got somewhat of an idea now what to look for.

The Lee beam scale that came with my reloading equipment seems to work well, but is a bit cumbersome. I'd like to get a digital scale to use in conjunction with my beam scale to cross/double verify the charges I'm throwing.

I realize that asking for recommendations/opinions about what digital scale to purchase may open up a heated debate. And I realize you get what you pay for. Just curious if you all have had any bad experiences with certain brands, and what you recommend I should research further, and what ones I should definately stay away from.

As always, thanks for your time folks. I've received a great deal of help and information so far from all of you, and it is greatly appreciated!

Best Regards
    Tim Quigg

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Mombo
    Millennium Member

I like my RCBS 750 a lot. Good range (for those 45-70 bullets) and very accurate and easy to set up.

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

If you hadn't bought the wrong "Kit" or Scale to begin with and had just gotten the Dillon Eliminator (like recommended in the sticky) then you wouldn't be looking at a "High Priced" digital. You probably don't realize that you are looking at a High Priced Digital but that is what you should buy if you buy the digital. Not some cheap scale. So CED has a $110 one and Dillon has a nice one. Don't buy the cheap CED.

OR

Just get the Dillon Beam or Redding like you should have from the beginning. It's not cumbersome or a PITA like the Lee at all. But because you have been using the Lee you may think all beams are a PITA. For occasional powder charge verification all you need is a good beam scale. If you doing a lot of measuring of randomly weighted items a digital is real nice. But most the time you just want to know the powder charge is the same as it has been and a beam works great for that.

4. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

This gets said often & until I can be proven wrong, I'll keep saying it. There are no cheap/good dig scales. Expec to pay $100 & up. The RCBS 750 & Dillon are the benchmarks. The new larger Hornady seems good but it's not been out very long. The cheap $30-$50 scales just don't cut it over time. They drift, won't hold zero, PITA. Spend good money on your scale & measure, it's the heart of reloading equip. Press & dies can be done on the cheap, but the gear to measure the stuff that goes bang, priceless.

#4 fredj338, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  5. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

I use a Dillon Eliminator and bought it from the recommendations here. When I buy a digital I will most likely spend the money on a Dillon D-Terminator. I feel spending the little extra money on quality weight and measurement equipment is worth it and that includes a quality caliper from a company like Mitutoyo, Starrett and etc.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/co.../7/Dillon__039_s___039_Eliminator__039__Scale

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25213/catid/7/D_Terminator_Electronic_Scale

#5 dkf, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  6. Rinspeed

Rinspeed
    Expand Collapse
    JAFO

Whatever you do stay far away from the Pact BBK. It's the biggest POS you'll ever come across. The Dillon Eliminator on the other hand is awesome.

7. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

+ 1 on the POS BBK and go Dillon. SJ 40

8. emtjr928

emtjr928
    Expand Collapse

As a relative noob myself, the Dillon Beam is sweet, simple, dependable and therefore safe.

9. F106 Fan

F106 Fan
    Expand Collapse

Dillon D-Terminator without question. I think the hard case is extra. In any event, make sure you get one to protect the scale.

Richard

10. ColoCG

ColoCG
    Expand Collapse

I would have to disagree with both of you unless their quality control has slipped greatly. I have been using a Pact scale for almost 20 years since they came out with them and only had 1 problem that was taken care of with a phone call. They used to make scales for RCBS and others. American made, Lifetime warranty, and reasonably priced. Mine works great! :dunno:

11. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

The two digital scales that I would recommend depending on what you want to use them for are the Dillon and the RCBS Charge Master combo. The next thing I would buy is a good set of check weights. The weights that come with most of the scales are calibration weights.

12. alank2

alank2
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I love my RCBS 750 - does everythig I need.

Good luck,

Alan

13. CanMan

CanMan
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

I've used my Dillon for thousands of reloads.... never a problem :)

14. SBray

SBray
    Expand Collapse

I have the RCBS Charge Master 1500 combo and have been quite pleased with its quality.

Steve

15. F106 Fan

F106 Fan
    Expand Collapse

Yes, you absolutely need check weights. The Dillon D'Terminator calibration weight is 50 grams (771+ gr) and that may be fine for calibration but it is too far above a charge weight for me.

Here are some choices:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=check+weights

I have the RCBS Standard Check Weights

Richard

16. Beware Owner

Beware Owner
    Expand Collapse
    NOT a victim.

If you want cheap, get the RCBS or Dillon beam scale with a powder trickler and call it a day. You can't put cheap in the same sentence with digital and scale and expect to make something good of it.

17. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

You may disagree but the one I had was back to them five times and each time would go to err1 or err 2 . The sixth time I talked to them when technician called,they ended up keeping it and sent a refund. SJ 40

18. Rinspeed

Rinspeed
    Expand Collapse
    JAFO

My PACT BBK has been back for a new load cell five or six times, shipping on my dime, and now has to go back again. Now the ****ing idiots want me to pay for a new load cell even though I bought it with a lifetime warranty. To say I'm pissed would be an understatement. For the last five years I've babied the hell out of it too. :steamed:

19. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

My suggestion for a digital scale...don't bother. My Lyman is only useful as a digital estimator...after getting the powder charge close, I always move to the Dillon beam scale.

20. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

Go Dillon D-Terminator, zero frequently, calibrate on a regular basis and use check weights (I recommend the Lymans)...