close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Digital photo editing software

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by Rollo Tamasey, Apr 13, 2009.

1. I am unemployed now and looking for a job so I do not want to buy photo shop right now. On the Kim Komando shows websit: WWW.Komando.com
    she has free photo editing software you can download. I am looking for software that can do more than getting red eye out of a portrait. I want something that I can use to hide blemishes on peoples face. Do any of you know if any of the ones on Camandos site that can do this or any ones I can buy that are cheaper than photo shop that will do this.

Right now I just have the free basic Cannon software that came withthe camera.

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Jun 3, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    Too bad you didn't provide a link to where she recommends those software packages. Her site is extensive.

However, if you want a serious free photo editing software, you might try Gimp.

If you do not mind spending $100, an even better move might be to buy Photoshop Elements, since it will help you learn the interface of the full-blown version and provide about 80% of the functionality you will ever use.

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    Are you interested in a tablet? You can get one with PSE for about the same price as PSE by itself. I picked one of these up as a Christmas present to myself a couple years ago and I *love* it. It's small but plenty big enough for my needs. I thought I would just throw this out there if you were going to buy PSE. :)

[​IMG]

The Bamboo Fun small for $99 comes with:

Photoshop Elements 6.0 (4.0 for Mac)
    Nik Color Efex Pro 3
    Painter Essentials 3

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/520804-REG/Wacom_CTE450B_Bamboo_Fun_Tablet_Small_.html

4. Thanks for the info guys. The esentials version of photo shop sounds like the way to go for one that you buy. I like the way it might help train you in the basics of the real photo shop.

5. hatidua

hatidua

Nov 21, 2004
    right here
    I use NIK software a bunch in my retouching and manipulation of images. I think you can get a free 15-day trial of it before buying (www.niksoftware.com). I think you'll need something in conjunction with it though, I use CS4 but I suspect other products will work.

6. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Nov 19, 2007
    Debris Field
    Disclaimer - I've since bought the below-mentioned software!

However, before purchasing, I downloaded a pirated version of Adobe Lightroom 2.3 via Bittorrent. Lightroom and Gimp keep me busy. I'm not sayin it's legal....I'm just sayin'....

I simply cannot justify $1000 for full Photoshop CS4.
    If you have any friends who are still in college, they can purchase software at vastly reduced prices. It's the software equivalent of a straw purchase, only it's legal (but immoral).

7. Glkster19

Glkster19

May 12, 2001
    Lansing, MI

I've found the student version is only able to be loaded on 1 computer only so make sure your friend doesn't want it also. My understanding is 1 title per student, ie. can't buy a copy for yourself and a copy for a friend. I wanted to buy 2 copies since I do editing on my desktop and on occasion my laptop. Double check that but it's what I've been hearing.

8. My brother sent me a link to free photo software called Gimp. It looks good but I am still looking at the tutorials to learn how to use it now that I have it installed in my computer. Thanks for your input though.

9. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Jun 3, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    Check the first reply to your original question.