close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Difference in Recoil between various Glocks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Oldmso54, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Oldmso54

Oldmso54

Jan 17, 2013
    Central Florida
    How much difference in recoil between the G23 and say the G17 or G19?

BTW - I'm 6' 260lbs+ but my wife is only 5' 2" and ... well, we all know I cant give out her weight :whistling:.

She's shot a 9mm Beretta with no problems but I'm wondering how much more recoil there might be with the G23?

2. BMiracletx

BMiracletx

Aug 3, 2012
    Abilene, TX
    Well, my wife is 5'1". She shoots Berettas well, but can't shoot my Glocks. She has a problem with the trigger reach and limpwristing causing stovepipes.

As for recoil, a G17 or 19 will have more felt recoil than the Beretta. The 23, depending upon who you talk to, has one of the most felt recoils in Glock. Me... never been bothered by it. Your wife? Have her try it.

3. Scrappy

Scrappy

Mar 4, 2001
    PA
    The Glock 19 will have more felt recoil then berretta.
    The G23 or any Glock in 40 has the worst felt recoil of any other 40 in the same size that I have ever felt.
    Just this morning I shot the G23 gen 4 against and M&P40. The Glock had much more recoil. The M&P is smooth and I shot it more accurately too and Im a Glock fan!

4. glock-fan

glock-fan

Sep 24, 2008
    Miami, FL
    9mm has less recoil, and it is more manageable than .40, g23 is not that bad, but the g27 is too snappy IMO. She would like the g26 that's what my wife shoots.

5. Taphius

Taphius

Sep 26, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Using practice ammo I feel more recoil in my 22/23 than my 17.

Using the good SD ammo that people say equalizes the calibers, the recoil difference is negligible.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

6. Shinytop

Shinytop

Sep 5, 2012
    Have not fired a Glock 9 but the Glock 22 had much more perceived recoil than my Glock 30SF. If you want a larger caliber than 9 the 45 is a good choice.

7. up1911fan

up1911fan

Mar 12, 2009
    Upper Michigan
    It's not so much "felt recoil" i'm concerned about, it's split's between shot's. For me I shoot the 9mm's faster and more accurate than the .40's. I no longer own anything in .40 cal.

8. BMiracletx

BMiracletx

Aug 3, 2012
    Abilene, TX
    I agree. I can put more shots on target faster and more accurate with a 19 or 17 than any others.

9. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    PRK
    Yeah I agree. The Sigs, HKs, FNP40, PX4 all have less felt recoil than the 40 caliber Glocks I have owned with the exception of the G24.

10. tcruse

tcruse

Jun 10, 2011
    Generally people talk about re-coil as perceived by the individual. Most people think that Gen 4 Glocks have less re-coil than previous versions. Having recently went and tried every 9mm that I could rent at the range, my conclusion was that re-coil is different between the different models, but more related to the quality of the grip and fit of the gun to your hand than anything else. Springfield XDM was by far the worst, Gen 4 34 was the best. Still have no issues with my G4 17 but added a Baby Desert Eagle 2 to the mix. CZ which is very close to the BE was not even close to being comfortable.
    The only real answer is to have your wife try each of them, maybe multiple times.

11. cciman

cciman

Jan 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    "Recoil" is a bad word, and sets you up for a longer path than needs to be. Fuggetaboutit. Delete it from your vocab.

"RECOIL" is a concept that disappears with proper technique, training, and practice. At that point, it does not matter what you shoot- recoil is the last thing on your mind. You will shoot a 22, 45acp, 357, or a 9mm the same way: WITH CONTROL. Grip, stance, trigger discipline, sight picture

Determine the fit- more fingers on the grip, and the grippier surface, will improve control. Less fingers is a compromise for conceal-ability, less control <-- move to this at later stages. The simpler (more consistent, and lighter) the trigger pull, the better at the beginning, then move forward to other pulls with experience. Start with a Glock19, then move to other guns.

That's my Gun-fu lesson for the day.

12. cciman

cciman

Jan 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I don't actually own any guns, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last year....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. Oldmso54

Oldmso54

Jan 17, 2013
    Central Florida
    Thank you all - very interesting and informative and much appreciated. We take the Glock 23 to the range tomorrow so we shall see!

14. SDR

SDR

Feb 5, 2009
    Well, please report back with your findings.

15. Oldmso54

Oldmso54

Jan 17, 2013
    Central Florida
    OK so SDR asked for a report back on firing the new Glock 23. The report is:
    FANTASTIC!!!! We put 100 rounds thru it today. The gun shot straight as an arrow right out of the box. Was easy to use, easy to aim, easy to fire, just easy, easy, easy!! It felt great in the hand and the recoil wasn't that bad at all. My wife put 20 rounds thru it without a hitch and she loved it! I just wish I would have had more ammo!

We also put about 600 rounds thru our Ruger MK III Lite 22/45 and also shot our friends Beretta 92 model and Sig Sauer .22.

Great day and I couldn't be happier with my Glock purchase!

16. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

Dec 23, 2007
    Under the bus

Same here.

17. I shot my G23 Gen 3 for the first time today and was impressed as well. Moderate recoil and I might have quicker follow up shots with my G19 but I think that will improve with training. I can't tell a bit of difference in recoil between my G22 and G23. I am liking the .40 (I first bought one because I kept seeing plentiful .40 ammo when sold out of 9 and .45) but now even it is scarce around here. :steamed:

18. The Fed

The Fed

Dec 23, 2012
    Central Florida
    Don't forget that the ammo can make a huge difference. Try Winchester Silvertips if they make them in that caliper. They appear to have lighter-weight bullets.

19. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    PRK
    The STHPs are 155 grain in 40.

20. SDR

SDR

Feb 5, 2009
    Glad you had a fun, safe time. Great to hear about the 23 as it seems you made a good choice! Congratulations!