close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Difference in an Arsenal and a converted Saiga?

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by muscogee, Apr 1, 2013.

1. What's the difference in an Arsenal and a converted Saiga? the prices are getting close. Would you pay $80 more for an Arsenal? Do the Arsenals all have side rails? Will the folding stock on an Arsenal fold with a scope mounted?

Thanks

2. adamg01

adamg01

Jul 10, 2007
    va
    An Arsenal sidefolder will not completely close with a side-mount. If their is only $80 difference, you would be insane not to get the Arsenal. They are a high quality conversion with a much greater resale. The best part about an Arsenal/Saiga is the Russian barrel and receiver. I have two Sgl's and will never part with either.

3. Thanks. I'm leaning that way.

4. G23c

G23c

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, texas
    I'd go Arsenal too. the SGL's are sweet (still trying to get one).

5. FilesCreekMafia

FilesCreekMafia

Dec 31, 2011
    For $80 more I would def go with the Arsenal. At my LGS the price difference is $300-$400 between the Saiga's and Arsenal's. The converted Saiga's here come with cheap furniture and sans muzzle break too.

6. HWI

HWI

Jun 7, 2012
    Florida
    Between a fully converted Saiga and an Arsenal about the only difference would be the Arsenal stamp on the left side of the receiver and the fact that the Arsenal would not have the left over holes from the old fcg location. If the Saiga was one of the standard Saiga front end models and not one of the pre-converted front end models then it will also probably have a bolt on lower hand guard retainer instead of a proper AK handguard retainer.

If the price difference is only $80 then I would get the Arsenal.

Not all the Arsenals have the side rail, but most do.

Left side folding stocks, like the triangle and poly ones found on some of the Arsenal AKs, cannot lock into the folded position when an optic is mounted on the side rail. However, keep in mind that the side rail optic set up is designed to maintain zero when removed and reinstalled.

7. im_n2_vws

im_n2_vws

Apr 11, 2011
    Sardinia, Ohio
    I own both, for $80 go for it. There is a big difference in fit and finish. My sgl21 is like a show piece compared to my Century converted Saiga.

8. Thanks everyone. When I tried to buy an Arsenal for $880 they were all sold out. I'm on the notify list.

9. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    I've got a Bulgy Arsenal SLR-106U.
    I know it's not the same as a Russian Saiga.
    But I love it.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a second Arsenal weapon.

10. adamg01

adamg01

Jul 10, 2007
    va
    Next you need one in a communist caliber. An Ak in 5.56 is like a Makarov in .45 acp.

11. HWI

HWI

Jun 7, 2012
    Florida
    As an owner of communist caliber AKs I must make it known that my favorite AK is my SLR106.

12. pugman

pugman

May 16, 2003
    Wisconsin
    If you are finding new Arsenal rifles post Sandy Hook at $880 buy out the store.

The gun show I was just at had them for $1400; even given gun show high prices you could easily walk into this show with a brand new one and sell it for $1,000. I saw at least half a dozen people with signs pinned to their shirts looking for "reasonable" priced AKs.

Two years ago they were $750; I tried buying when bud's had them at $795. Unless this is some local discrepancy ...if you can find them with only a $80 increase since November of 2011...buy them out and put them on armslist.

You don't sell them...its not like having 2-3 spare AKs around is a bad thing

13. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Arsenal no longer makes the SGL series, which was their Russian rifle. There is a new company making them. The SGL series to not come with a folding stock and are basically fully converted Saigas. A converted Saiga is a crap shoot. There are many things that can be screwed up during the conversion. There are only 4 companies in the country I would trust to properly convert one and their prices put it in the range of an Arsenal SGL.

The SLR series have the folding stock and are different in key parts from the SGL. If you want a folding stock the SLR is the way to go.

14. adamg01

adamg01

Jul 10, 2007
    va
    Not trying to split hairs but Arsenal released a side-folding Sgl-94 model about 2 years ago.

15. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2007
    This is correct. There have been a few releases of their Russian (SGL) series that they have fitted with side-folding stocks. These were limited runs. If you find an SGL-31-94 for the cost of a converted Saiga, I would snatch it up very quickly.

16. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Dec 17, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Yep, I bought an SGL21-94 through k-var (folding stock) a couple years ago. Price was steep (I'm remembering close to $1200), but I think worth every penny. Putting that authentic folder on there is a pain in the butt and not even cheap to try it yourself. Great gun, shoots flawlessly.

I'm a big Arsenal fan. Wish I had bought a few more when they were more available.

Last edited: May 1, 2013