close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Difference between Police and Express Tactical 870

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by TommyV, Sep 6, 2010.

1. TommyV

TommyV

What are all the differences from the normal 870 express tactical that make it a Police model. I tried asking a sales person but I think he was just making stuff up so I figured people here would know.

2. swinokur

swinokur

870P is assembled in a different area of the plant by specific employees, Much better fit and finish

Does not use a MIM extractor
    Heavy duty carrier dog spring
    Metal trigger guard (this may have changed)
    I think firing pin spring may be heavy duty as well.

May be more

Remington has a FAQ on their web site on this exact subject

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010

3. Restless28

Restless28

J.D. can tell you all you need to know about the 870. Take my advice...listen to him. He knows. :thumbsup:

4. TommyV

TommyV

Well I have an Express tactical and the trigger guard is metal

5. swinokur

swinokur

notiice i said that the trigger guard may have changed recently

6. TommyV

TommyV

When you said that it may have changed you were talking about the police version. Mine is the Express. The Police has not changed and still has a metal trigger guard.

7. aippi

aippi

There is only one 870 and they differ only by finish and funiture and a couple very small parts. The P is not fit any different then the Express, how can it be as it is the same weapon. the P is parkerized but the Express is matte finish.

The receivers both cost $247 from Remington. The Express 18.5" bead sight barrel is $131 but the Police 18.5 bead sight barrel is only $101. Now how can the Police be so much better if the police barrel cost $30 less then the same barrel for the Express.

Other then those few small parts all the parts are the same in every 870. As for the trigger plate housing being metal on the Police, that is why I would not want it as the Polymer on the Express is stronger. All the parts but one $3 spring are the same in the trigger plate assemblies. When I say the same I mean the same, I do not mean the are alike. I mean Remington only makes that one part and it goes in all 870's.

8. swinokur

swinokur

no what I listed were the DIFFERENCES, and I also said that they had possibly changed, not a definitive statement.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  9. TommyV

TommyV

Yea the model at the store I was at had " 870 Police" etched in the side. They had different sites but I like the bead site personally. What I would like is the pistol grip/buttstock with super cell recoil pad. Those are nice compared to the regular stock one on mine.

10. DHart

DHart

Recent production 870Ps have the polymer trigger guard now. And the heavy sear spring is no longer used in the 870P.

The only part differences are machined extractor and heavier carrier dog spring for 870P vs. MIM extractor and lighter carrier dog spring for all other 870s.

Aside from parts, the Police models are built in a separate area by a group of folks who are designated to assemble the police models. And it is reported that the 870P models are given a higher degree of attention to polish, fit and quality control than the lower priced Express models.

As for finish, the Police models are parkerized (a few are blued). Express models are given a matte black oxide finish.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  11. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

While I'm sure that they have changed over the years, I bought an Express around 1992 and shot the hell out of it. Not a problem ever, except for one incident when a shell from the magazine locked up the gun by getting onto the carrier - and I think that was my fault. I shot a lot of heavy experimental BK and slugs out of this gun too, and it performed admirably. I'm ashamed to say so, but I abused it with the heavy use and neglect. I sold that 870 to fund another purchase and have since bought another, because I have that much confidence in the platform. Express or not, it works great...

12. Aceman

Aceman

As far as you are concerned, there is absolutely no difference. They are both guns you are never going to buy....

13. Restless28

Restless28

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  14. aippi

aippi

Aceman - I am curious how you know what someone would buy or not buy. I would never buy denture paste but I bet I will in another 20 years.

I swore I would never buy an AR and that is even after years of using the Colt LE as a Department weapon. Well, I was wrong as I bought a DPMS LR-308 AP4 this year. Hated it, and will sell it soon. Don't need it as long as the weapon inspired by god himself the M1A1 is being made.

DHart - I am not aware of any 870P models coming with the polymer trigger plate housing. It would be better if they did but Remington would loose a marketing point and they are running out of these to get people to opt for the more expensive P models. I use the ploymer on all my personal 870's and would love to see the change. If you saw new ones with the polymer then I would venture a guess that during the O'bama gun rush they ran out of cast housings but wanted to get the wepaons out there. That is the only thing I can think of.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  15. DHart

DHart

JD... the current 870P blued/walnut model has the polymer trigger guard... at least mine does.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Aceman

Aceman

Well now! All apologies. About time!!!!!!! Excellent choice and great price!

I think it's fair to say most people here would have put money on Restless needing dentures before he finally decided on the AR/AK/M1/500/870/1300/Mosin/etc...

But apparently he has pulled the trigger so to speak!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  17. aippi

aippi

OK, that was a special run. All the other P models are Parkerized and come with matte finish cast metal trigger plate assembly. They still have the blue trigger plates assemblies for sale and I got several a few months ago. They apparently did not have enough for the special run and used the Express trigger plate assemblies. My nest questions is did they upgrade them with the proper carrier dog follower spring. Could you check. On my web site is a video "carrier dog follower" and that shows the correct black spring for the P model. I would be surprised if they did not upgrade the trigger plate assembly. Check it out and let us know.

I am also certain that the P models still come with the cast metal trigger plates except for that blued special run apparently.

18. MD357

MD357

19. aippi

aippi

Ace,- sound like you now the guy so I understand your post now. And yes he did well as those are fine dependable pumps.

20. DHart

DHart

JD... I will check and report back.