Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Difference between 10mm and 45acp?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Glock27NY, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glock27NY

Dec 1, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Im not looking to start any caliber wars. I just want to know major differences between these two calibers and is it possible to make 45acp perform as good as or close to 10mm because i want to hunt with my g21. I did use search engine, it keeps giving "error".

Thank You
  2. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Nov 8, 2007
    The .45acp is known to rip apart a human body. The 10mm is reputed to rip apart the space-time continuum.

I peed myself just typing "10mm."

3. Glock27NY

Dec 1, 2008
    Upstate NY

4. mr peas

mr peas

Aug 27, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    Haha, I wonder the difference as well. But that there sir, is hilarious.
  5. Glock27NY

Dec 1, 2008
    Upstate NY
  6. That is pretty funny. If you don't find the answer here, try the GATE Forum.
  7. Foxtrotx1

Jan 29, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
  8. adv

Oct 2, 2009
    Houston, TX

I bow in your general direction.
  9. Iceman cHucK

Iceman cHucK

Jun 23, 2008
    WA state
    Difference is 45ACP @ 11.48mm and 10mm is 1.48mm!!! :cool:
  10. Glock27NY

Dec 1, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for the help, ill go ask someone who actually cares to answer.
  11. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

Oct 26, 2009
    Cold side of conus
    Here's the basics:

The original specs:

.45ACP: 230gr. @ 850 fps, or 369 ft/lb. muzzle energy.

10mm: 200 gr. @ 1200 fps or 640 ft/lb. muzzle energy.

(both 5" barrels)

Examples of "full loads" available on the commercial market:

Double tap .45ACP 185 @ 1225 fps or 616 ft./lb. muzzle energy from 5" bbl.

Double tap 10mm: 135@1600 fps, or 767 ft/lb. muzzle energy from 4.6" bbl.

No, you will not be able to near the performance of 10mm with a .45 ACP, but I don't think its gonna be a problem to hunt deer with the G21 in .45 if you used a hot load in the upper limit of that cartridge.

I would not suggest you do this with a federal, Remington or Speer commercial loading - they are going to be sparse on energy.

Keep your shots close (no further than you are able to keep 10 shots out of 10 on a 10" pie plate), and practice with whatever load you are going to use - a LOT.

You might consider purchasing a heavier recoil spring for those stout loads, as they may overpower your stock G21 spring.

Shot placement = win.
  12. fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    I personally don't find the Glock platform accurate enough for hunting much past 30yds or so. At that distance, the 45acp loaded to +P levels works fine for deer & hogs. I would go 230grXTP or even 200grXTP loaded to 950fps or 1050fps respectively.
    FWIW, Keg's info is not a real comparison. Energy levels w/ light wt bullets can be high for both rounds, but low SD bullets are not the best choice for hunting IMO.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  13. Ahhh, back to energy myth opinions. :supergrin:

The difference, from Double Tap gel penetration data with comparable sectional densities;

DoubleTap 10mm
    180gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1300fps - 15.25" / .96"

DoubleTap .45ACP
    230gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1010fps - 15.25" / .95"

Bob :cowboy:
  14. NonPCnraRN

Aug 6, 2010
    For hunting I would use a hardcast bullet. For someone who doesn't reload the 255 gr Buffalo Bore hardcast flat point +P will put a deer down at reasonable ranges. John Linebaugh notes that a 250 gr 44 spl at 900 fps will shoot end to end through a white tail deer. To save the frame of your Glock I would drop in a Fire Dragon recoil reducer or a similar one made by Sprinco. and To anwer you question about which is better the 45 ACP or 10mm, it would be the 10mm hands down if only commercial ammo was used. Double Tap makes a 10 mm round with a 230 gr WFNGC that is far superior to the Buffalo Bore round. However, the BB 255 gr FP will have no problem busting a deer's shoulder to get to the vitals at reasonable handgun ranges. Reasonable is defined by your ability to make a good shot for a quick clean kill with your Glock. Again hardcast bullets are the choice for hunting. Don't fall for the energy dump/HP mantra as you will want to punch 2 holes through your deer with damage in between. That exit hole will help to ensure a good blood trail if necessary. If you take out a shoulder and the heart/lungs of a deer it won't go far. Deer have a nasty habit of not showing you a picture perfect broadside shot and this is where John Linebaugh's knowledge of what a hardcast bullet will do comes into play. Now if you reload, I would try a Double Tap 255 gr SWC bullet at 950 fps in 45 Super brass. Double Tap sells some of the hardcast bullets used in their ammo as they cast their own bullets. That bullet has a larger meplat (the part that determines wound size) than the BB bullet. But to save you the trouble of working up a load the BB ammo will do quite well. The BB bullets have a good rep at penetration and holding together even after hitting bone. Now go put some venison on the table. I hope this info helped to answer your question.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  15. Daryl in Az

Daryl in Az Enjoying life!

Aug 31, 2007
    Our government uses ICBM's because the 10mm is considered overkill.

The .45 ACP is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

16. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Phila, PA
  17. Erich1B

May 18, 2008
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:.......That's pretty funny!
  18. Flatulence

Flatulence 5X EMU Champion

Sep 30, 2007
    Overtaxed, CT
  19. g36user

May 26, 2008
    from town to town
    You might check into the .45super from Buffalo Bore. It runs at about 1300fps and nearly 700ft lbs out of a 5" barrel. You may need a conversion or swap out the springs. The outer case dimensions are the same as standard .45acp but the case is enhanced internally.

Good luck,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.