Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Diferences between moss 590 and 500

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by dc2integra, Aug 29, 2010.

1. dc2integra

Oct 3, 2009
    What are the difference between these two ?Is the 590 really worth the extra cash?
  2. mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    The 500 is modular. You can swap barrels from 18" home defense duty to 28" bird hunting duty.

The 590 has a full length built in extended mag tube that is braced with 2 welded brackets that give the gun extreme regidity and can support a bayonet if it has a bayonet lug? (most 590's do).

Some 590 models are milspec with heavy gauge steel barrels while the commercial 590's are built with thinner barrels. Milspec 590's have metal parts and civilian 590's have plastic parts. You cant swap out barrels on a 590 which makes it less practical for alot of folks.

Do you need a bayonet and heavy barrel? Most average Joes dont. But it is very cool and sometimes thats justification enough to get a 590. I owned one and loved it. Sold it to finance my Benelli.

I still want a plain jane 500 eventually.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2010

3. dc2integra

Oct 3, 2009
    Ok thanks alot i didnt know that the barrels on the 590 couldnt be switched out yea thats the reason why I like my mossberg 500 i could replace the barrel in a matter of seconds
  4. smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    The 590 Mossberg has a bayonet lug on it so any bayonet that fit’s the M16 Family of assault rifles will fit the 590.

The 590 has a Parkerized finish while most 500’s have a Blued or stainless finish.

The Mossberg 500 can be had with an eight shot extended tube. The 590 comes with a 9 shot extended tube.

The length of pull is longer on the 590. The stock is slightly longer. My friend has a 590 and I have the 500A. His arms are shorter than mine are and I was very happy to switch stocks with him. I hate short stocks.:supergrin:

However, this will describe anything anybody might miss.