Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Did you guys see this-- 50bmg Kaboom

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by IndyGunFreak, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Bones507

Oct 3, 2007
    This idiots lucky hes alive. I have seen this before, a guy opening his bolt with a hammer, got the hell away from him as quick as i could.
    A 50 he wants to play games with !! Does common sense not exist anymore ?
  2. Barrett offers armorer's courses for the bolt as well as semiautomatic rifles.
    If I had the bucks for a Barrett, plus the accessories, (not to mention ammo!!) I'd surely sign up for an armorer's course!

3. The .50's that I have fired had some issues with opening the bolt and extracting the spent case. I would just give the bolt handle a really good yank and it usually came free. I could see tapping a bolt handle back with a dead blow.

IIRC back in the early days of BMG target rifles the shooters would hit the gun with a hammer if there was a hang fire. This was to ensure that the gun was actually in a safe condition to open the bolt. I imagine a BMG going off in half battery would end up close to what happened to this guy.
  4. KillStick

Dec 30, 2008
    Corn fields
    That is just awful, hope the guy is ok atleast...
  5. kcbrown

Nov 18, 2008
    At this point it's unclear exactly what happened. Those who claim to know the injured shooter say that this was his first time at that particular range with the gun and that he did not use a hammer to close the bolt.

You know how we always say that you're "innocent until proven guilty" and insist that such a standard be used when others judge us? Well, it seems to me that we should use the same standards here.

Is it possible that the shooter did something dumb? Of course. Do we know that he did? No. Someone with experience with the specific kind of rifle the injured shooter was using may be able to provide some insight into what specific things can cause the gun to fire out of battery (which is apparently what occurred, but again, I do not know that's what happened -- the visual evidence supports it but that's all we can say for now). From what I've read, there are multiple ways such a thing could have occurred with that particular rifle.

So please go easy on the poor guy until, at the very least, you know what happened.

Here's hoping the guy recovers fast and completely...
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  6. Myke_Hart

Myke_Hart Handloader

Dec 5, 2007
    Mount Eden, KY
    The gun really doesn't look that bad.
    I am guessing the bolt popped out on him hitting his hand. That would make some blood.

The rifle looks to be in pretty good shape still.

I would like to know what really happened.