close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Did this cause damage?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by soldano, May 26, 2012.

1. soldano

soldano

Apr 15, 2012
    While cleaning a new glock I accidentally locked the trigger forward while lubricating the area where the trigger bar touches the connector. Tried to pull the trigger to disengage and it wouldn't fire. Put the slide back together and put it back on the rails. Still wouldn't fire. Racked the slide a couple of times and it finally fired.

What happened and did this cause any permanent damage? Haven't gotten to the range yet but it appears to be functioning ok. Am just concerned and want to be sure no damage was done.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  2. Im sure it is fine. Ive done something similar before with no issues. These Glocks are pretty tough.

3. SauerChoi

SauerChoi

Aug 12, 2011
    You would have to have very ****ty luck to mess up a gun by disassembling it.

Unless you are superman/hulk, you didn't damage anything.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  4. smitty704

smitty704

Aug 18, 2011
    NC
    I'm sure it's fine. But if you did damage it, it wouldn't be permanent damage. Glocks are VERY easy to fix if anything did happen.

5. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

Aug 10, 2010
    NC
    Glock is tough....tough....tough...`

6. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Jan 26, 2012
    Kettering, OH
    although its not recommended to do that, I doubt just doing it one time hurt anything.

Tip for next time: Put forward pressure on the trigger bar then squeeze the trigger, that will release it without any (potential) harm

7. vmann

vmann Controller

Jan 22, 2010
    DFW
    i always move the trigger forward and backwards when lubing the area in question....

after you reset the trigger, ease it toward the front and depress the trigger safety and let the trigger move back to the fired position...dont try to fire it...

8. Z71

Z71

Oct 29, 2006
    OK
    I had a similiar issue the other day with my new/old G19...

I had field stripped the gun....and somehow botched the reassembly!....I couldn't get it apart again...or back together right...the recoilspring guide was sicking out the front of the slide...the barrel wasn't seated right and slide wasn't far enough to the rear...and the trigger was in the cocked position...I thought I was screwed!

I managed to get things jiggeled around and back apart...didn't seem to hurt anything.

What did I do wrong..you might ask?....I think I had the recoil spring and guide not seated properly against the barrel...and the barrel missed it's proper position in the frame..and the damn thing cocked when I slid the misassembled upper assembly back on the frame.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  9. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Best to shoot it to make sure of course, but I am guessing it will be fine. If you thunk about the force on the parts as the round fires and the slide cycles, this should be minor in comparison.

10. pixrob

pixrob

Oct 4, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I was told by Scotty Banks, a Glock Armorer at the last GSSF match (works for Glock) that you should never pull the trigger with the slide off. If you do have to pull the trigger, you need to press trigger bar forward with your thumb.

You can damage the frame by pulling the trigger and not pushing forward on the trigger bar. There can be a burr created inside the trigger housing where the trigger passes through the frame. This burr will cause a very rough trigger pull.

11. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Sep 24, 2008
    East Coast
    Whats the big deal trying to fire it? Your dry firing with no slide who cares

12. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Louisiana
    Thankfully, I had read not to "fire" the weapon without the slide in place. But I did as recommended (and above ^^^) to put pressure (finger) on the trigger bar before pulling the trigger and let it down easy.

Even doing it the correct way it sometimes is hard to release the trigger bar. Don't know 'zactly why, but I've sometimes had to play with it to make it release.

Wait until you put the slide back on and only get 2 or 3 of the support legs in the grooves of the slide! :whistling: That one will make you "agitated"...