close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Did some polishing here and there...

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by ndhill, Jan 19, 2010.

1. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dec 29, 2009
    Washington, MO
    This last weekend I had some spare time, and after looking at all the great pics of people who had success polishing their barrels, I decided to get to work...

I polished the Barrel, Pins, Slide Release, Extractor, and Slide Stop. Also whited the slide and mag markings.

Soaked the barrel in vinegar for 1 hour, and used a Dremel and Mother's Mag polish to get a nice finish on the barrel. I only used the Dremel and Mag polish for the other items, and used the crayon method for the Magazine and Slide Markings. (I used this method because it is easy to apply and remove using no harsh solvents.) WORKED GREAT & Couldn't be happier.

So here are the pics! (for some reason, with the 23 mag I actually like how it looks with the Glock logo below the butt.)

Here we go...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dec 29, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Tried to remove post.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010

3. bambikilr

bambikilr

Oct 29, 2009
    Oklahoma
    i think you did a good job, looks kinda cool, just not my cup of tea...but that's why there is ALOT of icecream flavors...a taste for everyone...love the .40

4. pinkertonTJ

pinkertonTJ 9/12 Groupie

May 6, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I really dig your g27 job. I noticed on your barrel the serial # was off of it. I recently ordered a polished one from a GT user but wanted the #'s off. how did you do it? thanks!!

5. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Excellent job! I very much like what you did with your G-27. I have been considering doing something similar to my G-22. I very much appreciate the pictures. Sincerely. Brucev.

6. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dec 29, 2009
    Washington, MO
    PM sent to Pinkerton

Thanks, I do appreciate it. If you do end up working on your G-22 and run into any problems, let me know if I can help. And Be sure to post pics either way!

7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Looks good,.....actually very good with the white rollmarks!

8. randyg27

randyg27

Jan 8, 2010
    good job i love it , i going to do it today to my glock 27, what is (crayon method)?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  9. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dec 29, 2009
    Washington, MO
    I just took a blowdryer and heated up the slide (all parts removed) until it was fairly warm to the touch, then take your white (or whatever color you choose) and rub in a circular motion (to get into every crevace) on the slide lettering and let cool a bit. Put some of your gun oil on a paper towel and rub off any extra crayon. Same steps for mags. Just be careful not to get any crayon into the mag holes.

Some may wonder why I chose crayon. To put it simply, I didn't know if I would like the look of it, and I wanted something that could be removed easily without the use of harsh solvents, and after some research I found the white crayon. The wax may become soft after several mags on a trip to the range so just be careful not to smear it. And even if you do, big deal... just clean, and repeat the steps and your as good as new.

10. bluejdixon

bluejdixon Ammo Hoarder

Seriously? You want to remove the serial numbers? :shocked:

11. That no longer looks like a GLOCK to me??:dunno:
    It looks like a toy!:rofl:

12. tercel89

tercel89

Mar 28, 2005
    Tn
    When doing this heavy polishing like this , does it make it any more prone to rust ? I know that Tenifer i only a treatment but I think it goes down into the metal a bit . Good looking job by the way .

13. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dec 29, 2009
    Washington, MO
    The Tenifer should not have been impacted. I didn't do any sanding and took no metal off. Only took off the layer of "nitride". I can't find any research suggesting polishing this off can make it more prone to rust. I'm still confident I can drop my Glock in a creek and go hiking for a few days before cleaning without rust.

14. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dec 29, 2009
    Washington, MO
    If you want to come shooting with me, I'm sure I can convince you this is no toy...

15. nraman

nraman

Dec 9, 2002
    I'd like to highlight the magazines like you did with something more permanent.
    I have a bunch of 9mm and 40 mags and it would be nice if the numbers sick out.

16. tercel89

tercel89

Mar 28, 2005
    Tn
    Where do you get that Mothers Mag polish and what kind of dremel brush did you use ? Man it looks AWESOME!!!!

17. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dec 29, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Thanks for the compliment! Much appreciated. I got the Mothers Chrome Mag polish from O'reillys Autoparts. I'm sure you can get some at just about any autoparts store. Look in the wax and wash area.

As for the dremel tip, I used two. My FAV is a BULLET Tip. I couldn't find the tip by itself at my Lowe's, but i found it in a kit. But heres a site that has some... http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/dremel-polish-felt-bullet/BCZ30

I liked this tip vs. the other polishing tips because it was firmer, and the point is nice for smaller areas. Good luck, send me some pics when you're done!

18. tercel89

tercel89

Mar 28, 2005
    Tn
    When polishing around the muzzle of the barrel , how did you do it ? I have heard that you should leave the muzzle end alone or it will affect accuracy . This maybe just mainly with rifles. But did you polish around the tip-end of it too ? It looks like you did cause the whole thing is shiny .

19. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dec 29, 2009
    Washington, MO
    I did polish the flat part on the end of the barrel. But did NOT go into the barrel at all, which should not effect accuracy at all because no material was taken from the inside of the barrel. My dremel bit had a nice flat side which made this easy to do. No worries.

ALSO.... when soaking in the vinegar I plugged the barrel ALL THE WAY with a high density foam which did not let any of the vinegar into the barrel. I didn't want to mess with the inside.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  20. tercel89

tercel89

Mar 28, 2005
    Tn
    What does the vinegar do ? Does it "soften up " the black paint/nitride ?