close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Did I ripoff Wal-Mart...

Discussion in 'The Furball Forum' started by DaleGribble, Jan 18, 2014.

1. DaleGribble

DaleGribble
    Expand Collapse
    Sandwich!

The wife and I went into the local Wal-Mart to buy a new litter-pan for the cat. As were looking at litter pans I see a covered one above a price tag that read $4.36. I thought it was an item that was probably moved on the shelf by a customer or employee as the cheapest conventional litter pan was $7.00, then as I looked at the section it was clear that the section was full and well stocked and then I looked closer at the tag and saw that the tag only said "sv litter pan". So I was pretty sure this litter pan wasn't $4.36 so I looked at the other tags to try and find where this particular pan was supposed to go and there were no empty spots for tanymore pans.

We took the pan to the register and it rang up at $27.00

I immediately protested and said the tag for that pan was $4.36. The cashier called her manager over who said she could not override the price difference. I told her she could go look at the tag for herself so we both walked back and I showed her the tag and the stack of the same pan. She then checks the UPC code on the pan and the price tag and tells me the wrong pans were in that spot and it was my responsibility to check the UPC codes. I told her it wasn't my responsibility to check any codes and it was Wal-Mart's responsibility to market and stock items properly.

I ended up the getting pan for $4.36 and tax. My wife thinks we should have just payed full price. I disagree, it was their error.

What say you?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. winchester62

winchester62
    Expand Collapse

Its walmart. Who cares?

#2 winchester62, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  3. HollowHead

HollowHead
    Expand Collapse
    Firm member

Ask your reflection in the mirror, not us. HH

4. Dave514

Dave514
    Expand Collapse

How can you have ripped them off when they agreed to the deal?

That's not the definition of ripping someone off.

At all.

They just bought your return patronage. It's worth that to them. They will make the money back from you as a happy return customer.

Knowing it wasn't 4.36... A little sketchy in my book.

#4 Dave514, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  5. true believer

true believer
    Expand Collapse

bingo..
    :supergrin:

6. dryfly

dryfly
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

Karma .... it can be a ***** Dale. :whistling::wavey:

7. OrangePwr9

OrangePwr9
    Expand Collapse

$27 for a litter pan seems pretty steep. I'd have said I didn't want it at that price and sprung for the cheap one.

8. 10sRin

10sRin
    Expand Collapse

Mistakes happen. You should have either paid the correct price, or declined to buy.

9. Henry's Dad

Henry's Dad
    Expand Collapse
    woof, woof

Yes, you did rip them off. I don't care if it's Walmart or some little mom and pop store. The principle doesn't change. You knew exactly what you were doing.

Yes, Walmart agreed to the deal to shut you up and keep the line moving, but I hope you get stuck behind someone who makes the same scene the next time you're in a hurry.

BTW, most of us probably have WM as part of our 401k portfolio, so thanks for screwing with the profits of a company whose success I'm relying on.

10. itisbruno

itisbruno
    Expand Collapse
    Devious Member
    CLM

Does he have a reflection

:headscratch:

:tbo:

11. winchester62

winchester62
    Expand Collapse

:rofl: Irony. It's ironic.

12. stolenphot0

stolenphot0
    Expand Collapse
    RTF2 Addict

they have the price check things all over the store, so you could have checked the price before you went to the register if you were at any time, unsure.

13. Psychman

Psychman
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Agreed. I bet Henry is proud of you. I always wonder why somebody(the OP) would post something like this on an open forum.

14. jtmac

jtmac
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Member

There is false advertising, and then there are honest mistakes.

That was an honest mistake. Assuming it would not be an issue with state law, they should have simply refused to sell it to you, fit pitched or not, and you would be in the wrong for pushing the issue.

Of course, they did sell it to you in the end, so it's a done deal. Since they sold it in the end, it is simply a case of, as The Dude said, "You're not wrong, you're just an *******."

15. 1-2man

1-2man
    Expand Collapse
    Part Time

If this continues on a national scale, Wal-mart will have to raise ALL their prices to compensate for all the short comings and you'll be paying higher prices. :whistling: :supergrin:

16. fireguy129

fireguy129
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member 2008

They advertised an item at a price. They have the duty to price it correctly.

17. FourthPointOfContact

FourthPointOfContact
    Expand Collapse

1) The price tag also has the UPC as well as the price, so it's not mis-marked.

2) The price on the tag is technically an "an invitation to bargain" or "[urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invitation_to_treat]invitation to treat[/url]" it's not a binding offer, you can always offer the store a lower price (yeah, not like the store is gonna accept, but that's a technicality.)

3) Someone, WallyWorld, some nameless customer, you, an extraterrestrial. put the litter pan in the wrong spot. If someone puts a filet mignon steak in with the candy section where the price is $1.00 is that the price of the steak now?
    4) You were sold the misplaced-but-not-mismarked item at the reduced cost because it's easier to keep a customer than to get a new one.

Had you not been given the discount, there's a possibility that WallyWorld would lose your visits (and money) forever or at least for a period longer than the missed profits on that one item would cover.

Did you rip them off? No.
    Were you given a reduced price when it was not required? Yes.
    Did anyone do anything wrong? Not enough to worry more than 3 minutes over, no.

18. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED
    Expand Collapse

Same thing happened to be at a quick trip. I ended up paying 9$ and change for a 30 pack of Coors. Except when I notified the cashier she basically insisted on me paying that price. I felt bad and told her multiple times. She just thanked me for bringing it to their attention.

19. Psychman

Psychman
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Put that in your pipe and smoke it OP. :rofl:

20. OldSchool64

OldSchool64
    Expand Collapse
    ®

Pretty much the same thing happened to me, items placed on wrong hook. Bought two of them and the the price difference was close to $20.
    Went back with a manager and the UPC tag told the story, someone screwed-up, I paid the correct price.

Those of us who believe in karma know it can be a powerful thing.