close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Did I handle this situtation correctly?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by voomie, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voomie

voomie
    Expand Collapse

Here is a situation I had when I wasnt carrying. I was heading home from campus this evening. I decided not to carry today because the two places I was going to (the university and pizza hut) had banned fire arms. I live in ohio in case anyone is curious about the laws. So I was heading home on the freeway when someone comes up on me at a high rate of speed while I was in the right/slow lane. Then they start tail gating me. After a minute or so of that they decided to pass me on the right using the exit lane. While they were doing so, they almost clip me and I instinctually honked my horn, They immediately tried slamming on their brakes to try to get me to wreck with them. I avoided the wreck and got over one lane. So did the other person and tried to wreck me again. So I shifted lanes and tried to speed up to get a few cars between us but the other person did the same. So we went back and forth between speeding up and slowing down. At this point my heart was pounding because this person would not let me loose them and I did not know if they were armed and meant me harm. My next instinct told me to get off the highway because how easy it would have been to wreck. So I did my final speed up and other person did as well and got ahead of me. I checked for other cars and got off at the last minute in an area I knew very well. The other person tried pulling off to the side of the road and putting it in reverse to get to the off ramp. I had to wait about 10-20 seconds for the light to change and it felt like forever. I began weaving through traffic like a mad man to put cars between me and the other person if they were still following. Each light I hit, I made sure I had some sort of escape route. After a few times of doubling back I was sure I lost the person but I doubled back one last time make sure. During this ordeal, I thought of calling the police but I wanted my full attention on driving so I didn't wreck. Also it would have taken a few minutes for police to get to a situation that could have ended badly in seconds. So is there anything I could have done different?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. slickt0mmy

slickt0mmy
    Expand Collapse

I was in a similar situation coming back to Columbus from Dayton and I'm still not sure if I did the right thing.
    I was passing a large line of semis on a 2-lane section of I-70. I was only going a few miles an hour faster than them because I traveled that highway frequently and it was not uncommon to see police running radar.
    Anyway, a minivan with a male driver and a female passenger comes flying up behind me and gets right on my bumper as I'm passing these semis. It took maybe 30-45 seconds from the time they reached me until I finished passing the trucks. When I did get clear of them, the minivan flew around me as the passenger flipped me off. They got back in my lane (now in front of me) and slammed on their brakes. I avoided them and much like your story, I didn't know what to do. For the next few minutes it was a cat and mouse game on the freeway, with them swerving around, flipping me off numerous times, slamming their brakes, etc.
    Again, like your story, I got off at an exit, they followed, and I eventually lost them on some back roads.

I realize now that I probably should have called the police.
    This scenario is what gave me the kick in the pants I needed to go get my CHL, by the way. It really shook me up.

3. jdavionic

jdavionic
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

Monday morning QB is always easier than making the decisions real time. I think you did fairly well. It appears you used the horn to alert the other driver that they were about to strike you, versus using it to convey a message that you were pissed at them. Assuming that's the case, I think you should have tried calling the police in the "10-20 seconds" that you sat at the light.

Other than that, road rage is problem all over. Who knows what triggers some of these people to react the way they do.

Glad to hear your safe.

4. no_control

no_control
    Expand Collapse

did you try to just slow down and stay a few cars behind instead of trying to get a couple cars ahead?

5. huggytree

huggytree
    Expand Collapse

i would have just pulled over on the freeway and sat in my car and called 911...if he came up to my car i would have showed him my cell phone and say '911!'

next time keep your gun in your car....if he was unarmed and just wanted to beat you a gun wouldnt help you legally anyways.....not until your ready to pass out that is...somehow your supposed to know just before you pass out and then you can shoot him.

you could get a faster car???? my Challenger SRT does 170 mph....i would have gotten away from him easily

6. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901
    Expand Collapse

I don't know where you're from but any physical violence that I feel may cause bodily harm can be responded to with deadly force here in Florida. A beating is bodily injury. I'm not waiting until I'm about to pass out, I'm firing after the first punch.

7. LApm9

LApm9
    Expand Collapse

Remember that, unless he is going to do a kamikaze ramming, he has to get out of his car to hurt you. When he does that, and your car is mobile and maneuverable, you have the advantage. Therefore, make sure you are always mobile and maneuverable.

Don't allow him to ram your radiator or front wheels with his rear/trunk. That is your most fragile area and such a ramming would immobilize you and leave him and maneuverable.

All in all ...you did good...no skin lost!

8. JasonC8301

JasonC8301
    Expand Collapse

I wasn't there and do not want to Monday QB, but why speed up? I encountered this a few times and first thing "I" did once they were in front was to slam on the brakes and pull over into the shoulder. Then just sit there with my hazards on, phone with 911 on ready to go, and lasty gun in lap with doors locked. Also aware of location. Now the road rage driver would have in turn slam on his brakes and back up to you which puts them at a disadvantage. You see foward and back. All they see is back at you and deal with oncoming traffic. See the car backing up, press send on phone and put on speaker. Tell operator wth is going on, describe self, tell operator you are armed, location location location. Who knows what the other driver has. But you know you were not carrying.

9. slickt0mmy

slickt0mmy
    Expand Collapse

In Ohio, you'd be in quite a large pile of excrement if you shot someone after the first punch. Here, we have to either be in fear for our lives or serious bodily injury. 1 vs 1 fights are not considered to be serious bodily injury unless there is a disparity of force. If the other guy pulls a knife, baseball bat, or some other tool that could kill you, then you can shoot. But generally not just for a fist fight.

10. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7
    Expand Collapse

Instead of speeding up I would have slowed down and called 911. My mom had a similar situation right after she took her CPL class (didn't have the permit yet). For some reason that experience made her want to get on the ball about turning the paperwork in.

11. bdcremer

bdcremer
    Expand Collapse
    The No SpinZone

You did what you felt was the proper thing to do and you are still alive. Yes, it was stressful and you may hope for the scenario to have been played out differently. However, you made it through and you can learn from it.

I would have gotten to a well lighted and public place (with cameras preferably) and called 911. If you could write down the license plate and let the police provide some order maintenance. Many, not all big box stores like Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Best Buy have cameras in the parking lot.

Not all stressful situations can be solved with a weapon. Situational awareness, physical & mental fitness, driving skills can be just as important as any weapon in our non-sensical urban environments. Your mind and body are the most amazing instruments you possess.

#11 bdcremer, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  12. Boot Stomper

Boot Stomper
    Expand Collapse

I agree with calling 911. If you would have wrecked the police would have been on the way to your area.

If you can legally keep your gun in your vehicle on campus, it may be a good idea. Try to find a way of securing it in your car.

Be safe.

13. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901
    Expand Collapse

One punch kills are not that uncommon; falling and hitting pavement or head trauma from the punch. Therefore I believe you would be in fear of serious bodily injury in a fight. Of course, if you are a mutual aggressor than this is not true.

14. Spiffums

Spiffums
    Expand Collapse
    I.C.P.

Get up under em, get em loose and put em in the wall. Your Honor I thought they wanted to race and as you well know rubbing is racing.

15. wrenrj1

wrenrj1
    Expand Collapse

this.

Secondly, you are in college, use paragraphs!:tongueout: Glad everything turned out alright. Only thing I would have done differently is to call the PD on my cell phone.

16. BSteadman

BSteadman
    Expand Collapse
    WidowMaker

Where are these maniac’s when I'm driving...I'd just love to plow into some numb nuts pulling that ill-advised behavior.

[​IMG]

17. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk
    Expand Collapse

bit of freeway i used to travel a lot had many cops patrol it that were very stringent about speed limits. so i kept very close to the limit. had a lot of people that wanted to drive 20+ over the limit flash their brights at me. had a 1.5 million candle power spot light in the back seat i flashed back at them.

18. wuvmyglock

wuvmyglock
    Expand Collapse

You could always lend them a knife, club or tire iron.. :whistling::whistling:

19. USMCSergeant

USMCSergeant
    Expand Collapse

I've seen hundreds of fights where this didn't happen, and I've never heard of this happening. I knew of one guy that was hit from behind at the base of the skull and had a seizure, but never close to dying. I think dying from a single punch would be a freak occurance, unless you're fighting a gorilla. Think if a jury would agree with you.

20. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe
    Expand Collapse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.