Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

DHCP strangeness...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by aspartz, May 18, 2005.

1. aspartz

Oct 19, 2000
    Sandstone, MN 55072
    In the process of upgrading my firewall this weekend I noticed somethin strange.

When I connect my workstation directly to the cable modem, DHCP returns an IP of 204.x.x.x/24. (I got this from ipconfig)

When I connect my linux box (firewall) up to the cable modem, the returned IP is 63.x.x.x/22. (I get this from ifconfig).

This seems strange to me. Which is correct?

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    They may be both correct.

Can you connect outside with either machine when it is connected? If so, they may have a DHCP server that answers WIN calls and another that answers other than WIN. Yes, there is a difference.

Have you waited a while and tried it again? It may be going off MAC address and giving the same IP range to the same MAC address.

3. aspartz

Oct 19, 2000
    Sandstone, MN 55072
    I talked to the ISP today. Both are correct. Apparently, even though I release the DHCP lease, that IP is still associated with a given MAC address for the original period of the lease. They just happen to have a disparate collection of IP's issued to them.

I didn't ask if they supported IPv6 yet ;f