Device for cleaning gas vent?

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by peaceful_guy, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Anyone want to chime in with info on how to clean the gas vent on an AK? (Slit in the end of the barrel which vents into the gas tube).

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 peaceful_guy, Mar 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  2. I bought some really stiff pipe cleaners at my local indoor range/gun shop. Should probably do the trick. Unfortunately for me I am AK-less for now. Sold a Norinco I had for a tidy profit, regretted it ever since. Now my wife wants me to wait for another purchase. Anyway, you will have to check for yourself if it works. From what I remember, I could get the Army issued pipe cleaners to work on my Norinco a few years back when I was still in the Army.

3. Ah, ok, that makes a lot of sense.

#3 peaceful_guy, Mar 27, 2010
  4. Cool, thanks for the tip on the gas port cleaners, never knew there was such a thing.

#5 peaceful_guy, Mar 28, 2010
  5. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

It's an AK. Shoot it every once in a while and it'll blow itself clean.

6. 12g bore brush - assuming you clean it at all....

#7 Aceman, Mar 29, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  7. Centerfire systems sells a little L shaped deal that's Chinese and is made for cleaning the gasport, I have one in my parts box but have never tried using it.

8. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

small allen wrench?

9. Whoa, you know what? I think one of these came in the cleaning kit for my Saiga carbine. There is a brush with a a dogleg handle - I did not put two and two together. Outstanding.

#10 peaceful_guy, Mar 30, 2010
  10. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Hum. I do not believe mine came with such tool. what caliber?

11. This is why they always have a guy selling dental picks at gun shows.

12. My mistake, it came with my GSG .22LR. Looks like it will work in a gas vent though...

#13 peaceful_guy, Mar 30, 2010
  13. CLP foaming bore cleaner works great.

Spray down the chamber and make sure foam comes out the muzzle and the gas block. That way everything, including the vent hole, is cleaned.

Wait 15min, clean the gas block, then clean the bore. Hard to beat that.

14. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!