close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Detroit suspends and files charges against dispatchers

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ronduke, Sep 6, 2013.

1. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    I've seen where they are thinking of filling charges, but I haven't seen what charges they were thinking of listed anywhere.

Randy

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

2. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Illinois
    It's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Dust off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

3. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    dispatchers here in Dade county, act like they are friends with the criminals, buying time for them.

4. volsbear

Nov 8, 2007
    Illinois
    We had a prosecutor not long ago fire a warning shot to her friends about the po-po being on their way to serve a warrant.

5. OLY-M4gery

OLY-M4gery

Nov 7, 2001
    Southern WI
    So the police chief suspends 2 dispatchers, for not sending officers immediately, even though there were no available officers.

The police supervisor in charge of the dispatch center was demoted.

Shouldn't his next step be to discipline himself, for not having enough officers available to cover emergency calls?

6. volsbear

Nov 8, 2007
    Illinois
    The article says the chief claimed he had officers available to take calls.

7. volsbear

Nov 8, 2007
    Illinois
    This -

8. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    They told us never to fire warning shots in the academy... ;) Guess the prosecutors academy didn't cover that... :rofl:

Seems like I remember heating about that, either in the paper or maybe here...

Randy

9. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    So anyone have any idea what sort of charges might apply? Dereliction of duty isn't a criminal offense, right? If they're talking with the prosecutor it must be a criminal offense they are charging... Isn't that a stretch for some sort of criminal negligence?

Randy

10. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    I am having a hard time seeing how, in a condition of almost anarchy, certainly constant chaos at least, that people have any expectations in that pest hole.

"shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic" Is almost apropos but I would add "underwater" to the description.

11. I'm sure the Chief has his heart in the right place, and would NEVER lie to cover his own stinking butt. :upeyes:

I would like to see an interview with the dispatchers. As usual, I suspect there is more to this than meets the eye.

12. Cops can't be charged for this sort of thing, but maybe dispatchers don't have the same lack of legal obligation to help people.

Or maybe the case would end up in court and a judge saying neither cops nor dispatchers have to help anyone.

13. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Mar 25, 2003
    Phoenix
    Criminal negligence? Aiding and abetting while ignoring your job? I don't know. I've lived through uncountable incompetent dispatchers.

14. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Chief is really new, hasn't been there long enough to worry about that, he could throw the last chief under the bus... :supergrin:

Something weird going on, that's for sure.

Radio system went down for the 2nd time in a few months here recently, some heads rolled over that one. Don't recall hearing about any failures before these 2 times.
    Randy

15. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Mar 25, 2003
    Phoenix
    Once they started recording all transmissions most of our problems stopped. Just goes to show how lazy and incompetent some folks are until they are held responsible for their actions.

16. Seems like its been tolerated, based upon some of the other incidents that have occurred. Let's see if things change as a result of his actions....... I wish him luck....

17. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    I do not know their dispatch policies, but in my AO, if it is in progress or a violent crime, the traffic gets kicked out via voice immediately. The officers, then the supervisors, are responsible for breaking from whatever they are doing that is lower in priority and answering the call. If all officers are busy on priority calls, the supervisors better start taking them and then the managers after that. Everything else goes out of the MDC as soon as it can be entered into the system.

"Police supervisor"? That could be a sworn officer or a non-sworn employee - the article doesn't clarify. Here, the dispatch supervisor is responsible for only the people within the dispatch section, not in field ops or in investigations.

18. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    I saw another article that said it was some sort of brass, I don't remember the exact rank. So I'm assuming that meant sworn.

Randy