close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Detroit citizens no longer rely on LE as self-defense killings skyrockete

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by RussP, Feb 10, 2012.

1. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    911 IS A JOKE - Detroit citizens no longer rely on police as self-defense killings skyrocket

Article starts out with a 73-year old, long time Detroit resident who got tired of the young thugs terrorizing her neighborhood so she applied for her permit to carry. “I don’t intend to be one of their victims,” said Brown, who has lived in Detroit since the late 1950s. “I’m planning on taking one out.” And Mrs. RussP doesn't think she means "taking them out to dinner."

The local rate of self-defense killings stands 2,200% above the national average.

:cool:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. Deye76

Deye76

Feb 25, 2011
    Where do you get your info? 2,200% above the NA doesn't sound right. I just retired/moved from that area, worked in Detroit for the last 40 yrs, yea the MC has it's share of SD shootings, but that number would put it at more than a couple every day.
    doesn't happen.

3. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    apparently detroiters are either very very good shots or are just very thorough since it says killings rather than just shootings.

:supergrin:

4. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    His parts got outsourced to china so they can't keep up maintence on him.

:wavey:

5. Cream Soda Kid

Cream Soda Kid

Jul 16, 2010
    Colorado

Very astute.

6. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII Adorkable CLM

Sep 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    did yall ever see the vid of the medics whose rig broke down new years eve? And you can hear all the gunfire in the background? I'll see if I can find it.

Red

7. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx9wtfG81Gc&context=C37045f4ADOEgsToPDskKPQDGJY2xW20rhvMxFn4Xt"]Detroit Citizens No Longer Rely on Police as Self-Defense Killings Skyrocket - YouTube[/ame]

Detroit is just one of those cities. There's a guy on another forum I'm on that carries 2 FN 45s and wears a bullet proof vest everywhere he goes.

8. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

Sep 8, 2002
    dixie
    I cant understand why someone would continue to live in an area if they felt that threatened. As an adult I can pick and choose where i live and work and no job is worth being that scared.

9. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Quoted from the article, 2nd paragraph.

10. steve581581

steve581581

Oct 9, 2011
    Troy MI
    I live about 10 miles from the Detroit border and I assure everyone that its a war zone. For the most part the Detroit locals don't venture outside of the city lines with the law abiding working citizens being an exception.

Detroit needs to be completely bulldozed... where else can you get a loitering and prostitution ticket for sitting on your porch or driving home from work. (I never got one, it was in the news recently)

11. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    People who have lived there their whole lives won't move. They love Detroit and don't let the thugs decide where they live. This guy would carry the 2 FNs and bullet proof vest whether in Detroit or not. That is his choice and he is a very respected gun carrier.

Getting up and moving isn't an option for everyone. And like I said the people from Detroit love it and don't let the thugs rule their lives.

12. gommer

gommer

Feb 20, 2011
    Because if you run from it, eventually it may catch up to you and there may not be somewhere to run to next time.

Could be he has family there he wants to stay with/near.

Could be he has a great job there... doesn't have credentials to get a similar job in another area.

Could just be that he loves the land and be damned if a bunch of drug pushing punks will take it.

Who knows. Does a man really need a justifiable reason to stand his ground?

13. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    +1 Well put

14. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    Detroit PD didn't respond for 90 minutes when the property owner held the two perps at gunpoint?

I know a guy in Atlanta whose apartment was cleaned out by burglars in broad daylight. A neighbor lady saw what was happening the minute the perps broke in and called 9-11. The Atlanta PD didn't respond at all --- not even a drive-by.

Should I tell you about the guy I know in East St. Louis?

Gun sales are skyrocketing and now even diehard liberals are finding it fashionable to own firearms. It's difficult for some previously misguided folks to admit to having been wrong, but today when we're all hearing and reading political rationales designed to excuse the perpetrators of crime law-abiding citizens of all political persuasions are relying on themselves for self-defense.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  15. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

Mar 29, 2008
    A vast majority of the shootings in Detroit are drug related, gang related, and or between friends, associates, or family members.

If you're going to downtown Detroit for some type of event, you're just a safe as you are in any other major city in this country.

16. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    I read a story once that stated exactly that. If you filter out those shootings, the random shootings or those due to robberies were only in double digits.

Used to be a bunch of us that skated throughout the city. Never had any issues. People tend to flee the city after 5pm, so we had the streets pretty much to ourselves if we stayed away from the really major routes. Grand River? No problem. Woodward, mostly ok. Gratiot? No problem. Jefferson was a lot of traffic, tried to avoid that where possible.

Randy

17. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member CLM

Jan 3, 2007
    CCTX
    Maybe their hospitals just really, really suck at trauma care.

No, even that would only account for a 400% increase in self-defense killings.

18. jeffyjeff

jeffyjeff awesome sauce

Aug 18, 2010
    i accidentally drove through detroit on my way home from canada once, i missed the exit to go west across the northern part of the state and ended up going south to detroit.

coming from canada, i wasn't armed and i'll tell you i didn't stop within 150 miles of detroit in either direction.

19. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Jan 20, 1999
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Chuck Norris is so tough he takes his summer vacations in Detroit.