close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Destruction of my local Volunteer Fire Department

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by certifiedfunds, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII Adorkable CLM

Really?!? BLS here(w/a variance)...

Red

2. Gallium

Gallium CLM

That's why I asked where he was. MOST things in pre-emergency medical care are local.

Where I live, one set of EMT-B's cannot use a glucometer. In the very same county, another rescue squad has glucometers on their buses. Mind you, it takes 5 minutes tops to cover calibration, use of and disposal of sharps/potential for exposure/etc...but that is how its done here.

3. slathrum

slathrum

You wonder why some localities use glucometers and some don't. Hmm, why is that? Oh wait...it's medical direction! Somewhere, someone took the trouble to develop a protocol that allows an EMT-B for such and such fire dept to make use of an intervention that is in the EMT-B scope of practice in your particular state. In this case it was the use of a glucometer. They then approached a physician who decided that it was a good idea and said physician felt reasonably comfortable in the ability of these EMT Basics to perform this intervention. This is how EMS works. Everywhere. Well, in the US anyway. Checking someone's blood sugar is an easy sell though. Not all that hard to keep from screwing that up. Even IV access is relatively benign. As the skill level goes up though, you typically need a good relationship between EMS provider and medical director in developing protocols and off-line medical direction. When it comes to performing invasive ALS procedures that typically only physicians perform in a controlled hospital setting, that sort of direction does not come easily or without a price.

4. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I see you've completely missed my point. Additionally, there are instances where standing orders and new protocols have superseded "medical direction". In my state things flow down from the state level, and in many instances (fire in particular) the state and the rest of the nation takes cues from NY City.

I asked a question about ALS<>IV lines.

- G

5. engineer151515

engineer151515

That's a better result than the nation got last night.

6. slathrum

slathrum

It just doesn't work like that. Who do you think orders those "standing orders." Legislators? No. Like I've tried to explain, it's a physician acting as a medical director. The state gives EMS it's scope of practice. Local physicians allow EMS to work within that scope of practice as an extension of their medical license. It's quite simple, but I just can't seem to get this through.

7. ignantmike

ignantmike

this is the way it works in ohio.....atleast in northeast....former emt-b ff here......

8. podwich

podwich

I'm not at all sure what you're talking about. MD and DO are similar. PA is a different level. Admission requirements for MD and DO are virtually identical, as is course work, testing, residency, practice, etc. DO programs associate with teaching hospitals, just as do MDs.

PA is quite dissimilar.

So what in the world are you talking about?

9. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Only took 3 days for them to announce the layoffs and station closures.

Closures. I wonder why they can just staff them with volunteers like they were 4 years ago before the union got involved?

Progress being made toward board appointment. Current term up next year. This union has to go.

10. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

Why are you blaming the Union because there is not enough tax money to pay fire fighters? Unions do not tax Government Agencies do.When the Grant money is gone so are the paid (union or not) help.

Yes stations close when no one is there. You won and a volunteer fire department will have to be formed or the District will have to pay some one Else's department to provide service. It is happening all over the country.

11. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Actually, yes.

As a paramedic I work under my med controls license, with that being the case I can only perform the procedures my med control allows. I'm very fortunate that my med control allows, via standing orders, everything the state regulatory board allows paramedics to do. IV's, RSI, Pleural decompression, all the drugs and drips, the whole shabangabang. I can perform damn near every state approved procedure without direct medical orders. Basically the only time I have to call a doctor is if I want to give Morphine or I run into something I don't know anything about and need advice.

We also have the ability to deal with Physicians that show up on scene and try to take control. Our med control has issued and signed documentation that states all our pt's are under care of her license and gives us the authority to disregard their orders. Basically it works like this, if a Proctologist shows up on a scene and tries to take over we can tell him "Thanks, but no thanks." Now if an ER doc, Anesthesiologist or Trauma surgeon shows up and is willing to continue his treatments in transit, I won't get in his/her way.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  12. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

We had a volunteer dept.

Will the firefighters union allow volunteers under the same roof?

That station was staffed with volunteers. Then they hired employees. Then they unionized. Then they became unaffordable.

13. bmoore

bmoore

Hotpig I should have jumped in earlier to help you out. You are not dealing with logic or any facts here my friend. Its the unions fault no matter what. You can't engage these people man, its like arguing with a drunk on a medical aide. Local 4488 out.

14. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Perhaps you can help then. Will your union allow volunteers in the same shop? Educate me. I honestly don't know.

15. hotpig

My last shift we had two of us union guys on duty. In addition to us the non Union Chief during the day shift. A volunteer worked a eight hour shift with the Union guy at station one.

Unless the Department agreed by collective bargaining to get rid of volunteers they are welcome any time.

16. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Ok. So then that's what we need to determine. Thanks.

Ultimately we need to bring the department back to all volunteer again except for the paid chief but in the interim we need to get the stations manned with volunteers again.

17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Chips are falling, you should be happy.

I can give you the probable reason for closures: your vollys from four years ago haven't maintained their certs and there's no one qualified to work the stations. You can't expect the full time guys to continue on for free. They're too busy looking for work.

I hope that things work out for y'all. I mean that sincerely. I also hope you continue to post on the matter; I think it's fascinating and instructive and much easier to understand than the same issue on a state or national scale.

18. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

I am. I said upthread I'd rather pay Allstate than be held hostage.

There are no more vollys. It used to be I'd see them all over town. They had decals on their windows. It just occurred to me that I don't see them any more.

Its not going to be easy, however, we had the department we wanted and were willing to pay for. The renewal tax passed 50-40 ish. The new money failed 60-30. Clearly I'm not alone.

up until the last 4 years we were just fine with what we had. Now we can't afford what we've been given. Previous tax was sufficient to fund expansion, equipment, training etc. It wasn't until they switched to paid and then unionized that the budget got busted.

19. Tvov

Tvov

This is assuming the FD did medical response. Most states the basic Fire Fighter I course is one time only, no need for "maintaining".

As long as the paid Chief did not alienate the volunteers, they will probably return. Heck, they'll probably start responding tonight if they are needed.

20. hotpig

Less and less people have the time that it takes to be a Certified or Licensed volunteer firefighter or EMT. Every year both the State and the Feds add additional requirements.

Hiring people is not a option in this economy. As bad as it is right now in many parts of the country I can not image what it will be like in ten years.

As a thirty veteran both volunteer and paid and certified Instructor I can believe I would actually say this. In order to save lives and property the standards need to be lowered at some point.

We are better trained then thirty years ago. Because of this we are doing a lot more work with a lot less people than thirty years ago. Every year we do more than the year before with even less people.