close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Destruction of my local Volunteer Fire Department

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by certifiedfunds, Nov 2, 2012.

1. stk10767

stk10767

Mar 29, 2001
    I've often wondered how much the tax burden would increase without FF and EMT volunteers. In NJ, almost all but the most urban communities are still served by vollies. They are an asset to the community. I was a volunteer EMT for over 10 years. Thousands of calls for service, and the community did not get charged a dime, other than donations they voluntarily made. Fortunately, most training for FF's and EMT's is still affordable that it can be picked up by the respective department. Once the training requirements go up, then you need to look at where the money is going to come from.

2. slathrum

slathrum

Dec 28, 2004
    Well, sure. Like mentioned before, it's not all that hard to get your EMT-Basic with AED. All those classes mentioned could be knocked out in about 6 months. No paramedic would work for free unless they're doing it on the side though. It takes too much training to get to that level. That's not even taking into account protocols and medical direction. These sorts of things don't just happen. Not in the sue-happy state of the world we live in today.

Seriously, you all should consider taking some time to educate yourself on what you're talking about. CF, you and your neighbors are going to be the ones that suffer out of ignorance, not me. It's one thing to live in a community that can't afford these services, and that's understandable. Doesn't make much sense to have ALS fire in a community with one or two officers at most cruising around. Is that really the situation here though, or are you just upset with progress?

3. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Voted against the renewal and the new tax. I don't respond well to threats and thug tactics.

4. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    After the employees get fired they can learn to weld so we can quit bringing in Mexicans to do it. No unions in the ship yards either.

5. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003
    Not sure what you mean...

Lots of medics work for free to get the patient contact time they need for (in rare circumstances) DO school or more typically, PA school.

Nobody (more succinctly, very few people) goes thru EMT-B/ EMT-I/EMT-P school, RN school, LPN school to volunteer full time, all the time.

The salary for medics (nationwide average) is depressingly low - somewhere in the region of $15-17/hr. For that investment most folks who go thru 'medic school know that if they do the 2yr associate degree program they would be better off doing the RN program and averaging $25 hr.

6. faceplant

faceplant

Feb 8, 2006
    5yrs as a volunteer medic.

7. ignantmike

ignantmike

May 14, 2008
    ohio
    it's always funny to read these union hatters.....some unions suck.....others don't.....just vote the way you want and be done with it.....

8. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    DO school or PA school? Whatcha mean G? The two aren't in the same arena.

9. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

No, they are not the same by any stretch, but are more similar than they are dissimilar....just like me, you, Tantrix and TBO collectively have more in common than any of us and Pelosi, Bloomberg and Obama. :)

Physician Assistant school
    Doctor of Osteopathy

One (here, and in many instances in other places) requires a minimum # of patient contact hours (500-1500, depending on where, what school, etc).

The other...does not generally have a teaching hospital, and sometimes applicants need a referral from another DO and prior demonstrated experience with patient care.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  10. slathrum

slathrum

Dec 28, 2004
    Well obviously nobody volunteers full-time. I would go on a limb to say many who obtain First Responder or EMT certification, will either do so to volunteer only or to volunteer to gain experience to eventually get on a full-time paid position. I've known a few wanting to get in to PA school and go the medic route to have a paying job while in school. That was the only reason they had though.

I can tell you I didn't get into this profession to get rich. Sure, I could have gone to RN school and made more money. But then I wouldn't enjoy my work as much. Wearing scrubs, wiping butts, changing catheters...no thanks. Believe me, nurses usually earn that price difference.

We're seriously calling firefighters thugs though, just because they want to be paid for their work and expertise. I suppose the police should be all volunteer too. They're just a bunch of thugs with a union too after all.

11. I see where you are coming from on this. Although it does seem like a good idea to just double glove, there's that whole liability part when it comes to the employer and OSHA standards.

12. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    That must be new. Its been a few years but I applied to and interviewed at a DO school and their requirements didn't differ significantly from allopathic (MD) schools. All looked favorably on some experience in healthcare work but focused on academic and MCAT numbers. The only difference I ever saw was that DO schools were slightly less competitive than MD schools.

13. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    We have a lot of paramedics floating around here who work 14 and 14 on oil rigs. 14 days on, 14 days off. 26 weeks off a year leaves a lot of room to be on a volunteer department.

14. slathrum

slathrum

Dec 28, 2004
    I don't doubt that at all. The difference though is that a paramedic only does paramedic things if the agency he or she is representing has ALS protocols. ALS protocols require medical direction, which usually requires a paycheck to a local ER physician. Volunteer services don't have that kind of money. Seriously, I just wish you'd have your ER physician buddies explain this to you.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  15. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

What state are you in?

16. slathrum

slathrum

Dec 28, 2004
    Missouri

17. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

if I were making the decision, I would not take the liability as an employer to save money in this manner.

18. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

You think TBO agrees?

19. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Well its done. The voters gave the FD the tax renewal but denied them the increase they asked for. I voted against both but can live with this. Let the chips fall where they may.

Best I can tell they're going to be shedding some excess weight.:cool:

Now to bust the union.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  20. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

I hate to appear as if I am splitting hairs, but I think I'm about to learn something... :)

Not all ALS protocols require med direction. SOME of them do, but certainly not all, not even for your state.

Question: Is running a IV ALS or BLS ?

Answer: ALS.

Question: Do EMT-P need medical control /direction for running an IV?

Answer: No.