close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Destruction of my local Volunteer Fire Department

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by certifiedfunds, Nov 2, 2012.

1. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

For decades we had a volunteer fire department. We taxed ourselves in our little district to build stations, provided them with whatever equipment they needed, new trucks, training, etc. The department had one full time employee, the chief.

Then, the department accepted a grant to hire 14 full time employees.

Then the department unionized. Added more paid employees.

Well, behold. The department is broke.

Now, the grant has run out and there is no money to pay the salaries so they're asking for an increase in taxes or else there will be a cut in services and people will lose their jobs. 90% of the budget now goes toward salaries and benes. Aren't public unions great for America?

I haven't talked to one person who plans to vote for the tax. We didn't need these FT employees with benefits for decades. We don't need them now. We'd prefer to see our home insurance increase than pay these union thugs.

2. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Seems like a perfect opportunity to revert to the voluntary basis.

3. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

I'm thinking of seeking an appointment to the board to see what our options are and garner support to bust this thing up.

Greedy union bastards.

4. Viper16

Viper16

I've seen companies lose big because of unions and I have seen companies prosper huge with their unions.

5. itstime

itstime

All that .gov spending. You say it wasn't needed and they just give the money away. Now what?

6. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

To put it in perspective, what they want adds $500 to my property tax.

Screw em. They can collect unemployment. Call it retribution for destroying something that wasn't theirs to destroy. I can't wait to hear the whining.

7. HexHead

HexHead

The problem isn't the union. It was taking the grant money in the first place.

Who did the grant come from, and was it one time money?

8. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

It's both.

Used to be 1 chief and bunch of volunteer Indians. Now we have layers. Cost to operate dept has skyrocketed.

Fedgov. 1 time money.

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Ogres have layers. Onions have layers. Now Fire Departments have layers.

Just wow. "We're from the government and we're here to help."

10. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

The dept operates outside of the local government. Councilmen appointing board members is the extent of government involvement. They have their own taxing district so the people of this district tax ourselves to fund it.

11. MulletLoad

MulletLoad

Any idea of the fire insurance differences (commercial/residential/manufacturing) between volunteer and full time guys?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  12. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

Fire ins is based on a ISO rating. Its the same standard whether paid or volunteer. Its based on several different things : calls, response, equipment, personal, certifications and a few other areas. We are all vol. in my station. Our ISO is a 4 as are most of the larger paid depts.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

13. Gareth68

Gareth68

I live in a small town. In the last year we have built a new fire station, built a new police station, got another fire truck for the larger new station, and replaced a LOT of sidewalks, oh, and built all new structures at the town park.

One would think the economy was booming.

14. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I actually believe firemen should be paid for what they do. But I also believe people should be paid for their labor regardless of what they do. Some taxes are good.

That said, sometimes people volunteer because they want to. That is totally acceptable as long as it is truly volunteering and not forced volunteering (i.e. some university programs require students to "volunteer"....Require and volunteer cannot be used together).

15. racerford

racerford

I can see prosper with (in spite of) unions, but never have I seen one prosper BECAUSE of unions.

Of course I live in a right to work state so you don't have to have a union to get government work... or any work as far as I can tell.

16. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

There was a waiting list when it was all volunteer

17. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

We had an excellent ISO rating when it was volunteer. The rating isn't going up with payroll. I can't figure out what I'd be paying for other than another teat for unions to suck dry.

18. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Somebody saw $$$ signs and lost sight.

They should still be there.

19. medic2258

medic2258

Let me guess, you were one of the volunteers who didn't get hired.

20. bmoore

bmoore

That's because everyone wants to tell the girl at the bar they are a fireman (especially in small podunk towns). Then they get hired, get marginal training, show up every now and then, they quit in 2-3 years, you get a new batch of inexperienced boots, people like you dont care because hey "fireman are staffing the station". I was a volunteer and a reserve FF.

I promised myself I would not get into these discussions anymore in the lounge but you are horrible uneducated on the topic. Both on the volunteer FD portion and the union portion. It is scary that there are other people with your view view points. "greedy union" Pffffff gimme a break. If you had people besides hillbilly's running the place it may have survived.

Keep in mind at your next tea party meeting that there has been a bunch of "greedy union" members in this country that have gave their lives in the line of duty. There are even more greedy union members that save peoples lives all day long, everyday. The same people that would vote away thier positions if it saved them a nickel on their taxes.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012