close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Dept.'s That Used The .45 Colt>?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ULVER, Aug 6, 2011.

1. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

Jan 8, 2001
    ATL., GA. USA
    I know Dekalb Co. Ga. did... The S&W 25, but did anyone else>?

2. rich52us

rich52us

Mar 28, 2006
    WPB, FL

3. Ross-in-Pa

Ross-in-Pa Western Pa

Jan 13, 2009
    Southwestern Pennsylvania
    I think a few Texas Rangers may have carried one.

4. JRWnTN

JRWnTN

May 12, 2004
    Tenn
    The .45 Colt was used by individual officers in departments that allowed officers to carry non-magnum calibers. The .44 Special was also popular. Back around 1980, Federal sold lead HP's for both these calibers. Winchester also produced a Silvertip load. I think after these loads appeared, the .44 and .45 became more popular.

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I worked with a guy who just retired who carried one before we transitioned to pistols. He raised some eyebrows but the policy was a nonmagnum revolver.

6. Elliot Ness and the Untouchables!!

Didn't the Gotham City Police carry them in Batman from 1989 or 90? :supergrin:

7. Elliot Ness carried a Colt .45. Based on the other responses received I think that the OP may be referring to .45 Colt, aka .45 Long Colt, a revolver cartridge.

8. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Pretty good exploitation of the loop hole there:supergrin: I was under the impression .45 Colt could come pretty close to .44mag loads as long as the gun could handle it.

9. Yes, I wasn't trying to be funny, except for the Batman thing, but I thought Ness carried a 45 Long Colt in a Colt New Police. I have one of these revolvers and the patent date is 1917 on my gun. Great gun, big double action revolver but not too heavy. Colt also made these on a smaller frame in 38 Colt or 38 Special. RCMP also carried these for a time.

And it looked like the Gotham City Police carried these also.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  10. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

Jan 8, 2001
    ATL., GA. USA
    Here's mine... Many mods, from when it was used as a "pin gun."

[​IMG]

Dekalb Co., Ga. issued the M-25 in the early 80's, loaded with a 225gr. LHP. To most officer's shock, the bad guys weren't too impressed, when they got shot with the .45 Colt. Windshields were even less impressed. Go figure. :shocked:

When the military adopted the Beretta 9mm, so did they. With the Federal 115gr. +p+ JHP, it was known for over two decades, as "Thor's hammer." Dekalb shot a lot of people, and a lot of them were DRT, most of the time.

Personally, I love the .45 Colt. It's just a "fun" cartridge to shoot. :supergrin:

11. Someone say .45 Colt?

Here's my 25-13. First handgun I ever bought.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most factory, standard pressure .45 Colt ammo is anemic at best. Which I suspect was Dekalb Co.'s issue. My "woods load" for this gun is a 255g Keith LSWC over 24g H-110. Firmly in .44 mag territory and about as hot as I want to run through a Smith. My more "social" loads are 250g Hornady XTP's over 13g pf HS-6. A big, heavy, reliable JHP trucking along at 1,000fps is some pretty serious medicine, but still controllable. Yes, I'm guilty of carrying reloads from time to time...:wow:

If I was ever gonna pack the gun regularly for social use I'd stock up on Corbon's 225g DPX +P load.

12. Broke Hoss

Broke Hoss

Sep 21, 2008
    Abilene, Texas
    We've been authorized to carry them here, Abilene, TX. They were the 1st "non 38" authorized, so several of us went to them. When autos were ok'd (10mm) most all wheel guns were replaced.

There's still 1 Lt that totes his on a daily basis.

13. ottomatic

ottomatic

Oct 15, 2002
    SW Tennessee
    Memphis authorized them for a while (while we issued revolvers) and I have several friends who used to carry them ( 2 of them are females!)

14. Could be....I thought he carried an auto....maybe just in the movies, lol.

15. G27Chief

G27Chief Lifetime Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Southwestern Gawjaw
    Columbus GA PD was rumored to have carried model 25's just prior to the transition to the 45ACP . BTW I still love the 44 SPCL and the .41 mag.

16. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    When I first hired on, we could carry anything that .38 Special or larger and not a .44 Magnum - that included the S&W Model 29 or any weapon chambered for the cartridge.

I carried a S&W Model 24 in .44 Special. The Federal ammo wasn't cheap, but it was less punishing in fast fire than the K frame in .357 Magnum. When people saw the belt loops full of thumb sized cartridges, they assumed that it was a .44 Magnum.

17. ducati

ducati

Apr 7, 2001
    mi
  18. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Jan 18, 2001
    Detroit Police officers could carry one, if they bought one back in the pre-Glock 22 era.

_

19. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    What era? I believe the .455 Webley was a cartridge they used.