Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Dept is pushing for higher education

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by oldstyle, Sep 14, 2007.

1. oldstyle

oldstyle Jeep Pirate

Jan 31, 2002
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Our dept. is pushing for members to seek Fire Science degrees by creating a $300 monthly incentive. They are ALSO going to require degrees in order to promote to officer ranks.

A $450 monthly Paramedic incentive will be offered, up from the current $250.

All of this is supposed to be attained on "my time, my dime". Who else works a dept that is stressing education, and how is your organization assisting you?
  2. FirNaTine

May 20, 2006
    Officer rank and education as follows:

Lieutenant: National Pro Board Fire Officer I
    Captain: National Pro Board Fire Officer II
    Battalion Chief: National Pro Board Fire Officer III and associates degree
    Division Chief, Deputy Chief, and Chief of Dept: Bachelors and somewhere in there I believe it goes to FOIV, but not sure where.

We get a $1750/yr EMT-P incentive in addition to an increase in base pay increase.

Firefighter grades as follows with 5% increase between each grade:

FFII: Entry level upon academy graduation, National FFII/EMT-B
    FFIV: EMT-I/ may or may not be FADO
    FFV: EMT-P may or may not be FADO

3. CSNeoM4A1

Feb 23, 2006
    Higher education where I work is not required for advancement up to the rank of captain, however, it does help.

Once off probationary status, all new FF's are 3-4 classes away from an associates in Fire Science (from the academy and probationary classes.)

Community college classes are reimbursed 100% and higher education than that is reimbursed at 50%.