close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

deployment length

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by jetrecbn1, Feb 17, 2008.

1. jetrecbn1

jetrecbn1

Mar 30, 2000
    Just did 15 (actually 16.5; Torch and Trail) with my unit. I ran into some of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children during a class at VBC, and they inquired about how much time I've done in country. I told them 9 and I had 7 more. They just got there and their comment that they would be home already stung. Do you guys believe in a rotation like the USMC 7 & 7 or the Army 15 and 12? I have heard that the NG is looking at 12 total (1 train up, 10 deployed, 1 DEMOB). What's your thoughts.

2. Biscuitsjam

Biscuitsjam

Jan 10, 2004
    National Guard was doing 5 1/2 trainup, 12 deployed, .5 demob or thereabouts. When we went to Iraq in '05-'06, we were on lockdown for training. 18 months away from home is pretty damned hard to take. While the goal may be to eventually get to 1 month trainup out of a 12 months total activation, that hasn't happened yet. I think it's currently at 3-4 months trainup but they'll make it shorter each cycle. Most training is supposed to be done in drill/annual training prior to deployment to facilitate shorter mob-station training. The goal is to make trainup/deployment/demob 12 months total though. We'll see how that works out...

I ran into some Air Force guys in Tallil, Iraq in '06. They were just coming off a THIRTY DAY tour repairing motor vehicles of some sort. They said they volunteered for the tour and some guys in their unit had been over 6 or 7 times already.

3. scoutfsu99

scoutfsu99

Jan 18, 2008
    6 or 7 times for 30 days? sign me up please. just spent 14 months in Mosul. Looking at going back for another 12 w/in the year give or take. I wouldnt mind a 7 and 7 but you gotta remember that off 7 you would be training up. I think it works out similar to ours. I think a 12/12 would work better for the dwell time.

4. xxiv

xxiv NRA Member

May 7, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    7 months the first time (Fallujah and Ramadi) and 5 months the second time (Kurdistan AO).

And that was long enough.