Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Denver Shooting, as CC would you shoot back?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by cgjane, Jul 20, 2012.

1. cgjane

Nov 18, 2009
    Given the crowded theater would you have returned fire?

IF Yes, Reports say he had a kevlar vest, would you still return fire?

What are the implications of your bullet wounding others when you are defending yourself?

2. fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Likely no. The guy was dressed in full swat gear.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  3. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman a.k.a. DaReaper

Apr 12, 2003
    IF you had a clear field of fire, it's unlikely you would realize the shooter was wearing armor until the 3rd or 4th round.
  4. rmodel65

Oct 29, 2011
    uggh wtf? I just woke up i went to the movies last night to watch the new Batman last night here in GA. This is the first I had heard of it. I went armed thankfully because of GCO's lobbying efforts public gatherings arent off limits anymore. I carried a small J frame revolver and would have definitely been out gunned but at least it would have given me a fighting chance
  5. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    It was dark in the theater. No on knew he was wearing a vest until he was arrested. I would have shot back at him, had I a clear shot at him.

When it comes to bullet proof vests, many believe them to be a "magic shield" where bullets will just bounce off leaving the person wearing it unaffected.

He would at least having the wind knocked out of him, severely slowing him down, more and more with every bullet hitting him. One bullet in his armpit would really hurt him.

6. cgjane

Nov 18, 2009
    It is being discussed within the main threads.
  7. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Depending on where I was in relation to the all depends.

Having a kevlar vest is not the point. You wouldn't know it until afterwards.

8. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    If I can get my family out safely that is my first priority. If I am trapped, then fight to the death.
  9. Aahzz

Aahzz Who?

Sep 7, 2001
    Union, KY
    I can give a definite "maybe". Do I have a clear field of fire, where am I in the theater compared to him, can I see clearly through the tear gas for target acquisition, am I being trampled be running people - too many variables to give a definitive answer from where I'm sitting.
  10. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Jan 26, 2009

WE have a winner!! :thumbsup:

11. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    I believe what Foxtrox1 is saying that there are too few details about how the event progressed to be able to say how we might act in the exact same situation.

Everyone should agree that having a general plan of action/reaction for any location we might find ourselves in whether it be a theater, a convenience store or the local grocery store.

Any response should be regulated by weapons, yours and the bad guy's, distance between you and the shooter, your training and skill level (remember, adrenalin does really crazy things to you physically and mentally), and the position and behavior of others between you and the shooter.

All that would determine whether I would engage.
  12. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Dec 27, 2011
    One woman who was in the theater said she was so close she could have touched him and that she was looking down the barrel of his rifle. So it wasn't that dark or smokey where she was.

Had an armed "good guy" been that close, a head/neck shot could have been possible. Even a groin shot would have slowed or stopped him.
  13. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Maybe,dope coulda been involved.

Granted,2 COM and a ladder hike is cool.

My friend,the data is out there,the POS deserves a round.My interest is the motivation.

I would engage by training,my kin were in that place.Think long think wrong.'08.
  14. TTex

TTex Cannon Fodder

Jul 12, 2011
    Impossible to know.
    A better question at the moment is would you CC if you were going to the movie tonight? (Which I am)
    On the one hand you might want to be prepared for a copy cat, but on the other, people are on high alert, and you just might make the news even if you have a permit. "Man brings gun into local theater"........ story tonight at 10.
  15. AZL

Jun 15, 2012
    Arizona Desert
    The most honest and definitive answer I can even venture at this moment is..."I don't know". SO many factors and variables are in is almost impossible to armchair.

The only thing I CAN say for sure is if ESCAPE was impossible, I would get my daughter under the best cover available. UNTIL an opportunity presented itself to engage in a manner tilted heavily enough in MY favor to end it without killing innocents. We typically sit as high up as we can, as we are both tall, and it offers us the best view. Thus, sitting where we do, shooting DOWN into a crowd, in the dark, would not be a very good option. So, I lean very heavily into the "NO" area.

Honesty absolute priority would be to make sure my daughter was covered and go strictly defensive. As I have said, and cannot stress enough...SHE is my number one priority...even to the point of taking rounds myself to protect her with my own body. You can bet...if we were to be come SPECIFIC order to save HER specifically...I would fire, and fire until the threat was ended. Cover and escape would still be number one.

I KNOW someone is going to bring up "tactics" and such, and reccomend sitting down further, and whatever. The reality are then exposing yourself on a 360-degree, at least having a brick wall to your back is SOME safety from attack from the rear. There are no real "tactics" for a situation such as this. Yes...I could WISH for one of my patrol rifles with the Gee-Whizz EoTech or Sig STS-081 on it for laser-like-precision...but all I would have would be my Glock 19, and a J-Frame for a BUG. So, any discussion of tactics go right out the window other than...COVER AND ESCAPE.

Then "cop-stank" as my friend calls it, might take over, and make me do something as experience, training, and instinct took over...but who is to say. This situation is SO bad on SO many levels, that no option is really a "good" one.

All I can do now, is offer a prayer to the survivors, and a prayer to those who didn't make it.
  16. B.Reid

Jun 20, 2005
    If I had a clear shot you bet. Even a hit to the vest would hurt him and maybe slow him down for a head shot.
  17. HoldHard

Nov 28, 2008
    Motor City 'burbs
    In Michigan, if the entertainment facility has seating for more than 2,500 people (that's counting ALL the theaters, combined) then it would be illegal to carry a concealed weapon. It is one of those "pistol free zones" or as we call them criminal enterprise zones.

Due to that restriction, our movie watching is done at home.

18. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Your kin were in the Aurora movie theater?
    Can you explain that for those not familiar with the phrase, please.
  19. jhmayhem

May 11, 2007
    Honestly, I think getting my loved one(s) I was there with to safety would have been my first priority. According to the recent articles I have read about the incident, the shooter was wearing tactical body armor, goggles and ahd a riot helmet on. It also says he was armed with a rifle and two handguns, so I am assuming the rifle was the initial firearm used in his attack. On top of all that he apparently had tear gas and/or explosives with him, but that I don't know much about yet. However, if I were to find myself cornered or had a clear shot that could possibly end the ordeal, then I think the answer would definitely be yes.