close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Demon Possession and Mass Shooting (killing)

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by 2@low8, Jul 23, 2012.

1. 2@low8

2@low8

Sep 18, 2009
    Anyone care to make an assessment on the underlying cause of events like Aurora / Columbine / Virginia Tech being related to the biblical accounts of demon possession? Is it plausible in today's world? I doubt "possession" could be medically/scientifically determined or diagnosed but it sure seems to create an answer to the question of Why?

Thoughts?

2. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    There is no such thing as a deamon, or being possessed by one.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

3. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Bottom line, the perpetrator is 100% culpable. Why does not matter in how he should be punished. He has demonstrated that, for whatever reason, he does not have the mental circuit breakers to allow him to work and play well with others. He should never experience another moment as a free man.

4. AlexHassin

AlexHassin

Dec 15, 2010
    Taiwan
    the devil made me do it is not a good defense.
    just like violent movies and vidio games
    he made the choice no one else

5. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    In this case, "the devil made me do it" should be grounds for burning at the stake. I'll bring the marshmallows. [​IMG]

6. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    In many cases ther are more "earthly" explanations and we can see chemical imbalances, trauma, etc, being directly linked. We do not need a theological explanation, the ones we have are pretty good.

No more a sign of the devil than seeing the face of Jesus on a tortilla is proof of divinity

7. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Aug 4, 2005
    fl
    Not sure if exactly Bible based, but a very well indoctrinated person told me once that the definitions of good/evil were the presence/absence of God, respectively.

:dunno:

8. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    I am seeing a lot of paralells to the movie "Rampage" however. Unlike the character in that moview who started off by blowing up the police station, he tried a similar technique by booby trapping his apartment and trying to set an explosive trap for his erstwhile neighbors to divert law enforcement in that direction.

This was a carefully thought out, methodical, and deliberate plan on this guy's part.

9. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    Being atheist, I think the odds are very close to zero that anything supernatural/mythological had anything to do with it.

10. Tilley

Tilley Man of Steel

Mar 21, 2006
    USA
    How do we know that's you talking and not Satan?

how can YOU be sure?

11. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

12. Altaris

Altaris

Feb 16, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    It was never plausible in any time period, so it still isn't plausible today.

13. Altaris

Altaris

Feb 16, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    How can you be sure Satan wasn't the one that wrote the bible, and you have just been following Satan's word this whole time?

14. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Apr 22, 2007
    North Idaho
    No such thing, but he is already working on the crazy defense. That's his only hope to keep breathing for a while. Why is this idiot even being called a prime suspect?

15. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    Kill the man, kill the devil.

Domons are thoughts. A lot of people are ruled by their thoughts. Religious people have religious demons.

If we did everything that came into our minds, the world would be kaos. We learn how to analyse our thoughts and kick the domons out that need kicking out. When you entertain the demons, action results. So yes, the pos did what his demons proposed.

16. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    I've been replaying that movie in my head since the massacre.

I even wondered (briefly) whether the guy the cops found was set up by the shooter.

17. Schizophrenia would be a more likely explanation.

18. Kozel

Kozel

Jan 16, 2007
    46.58N 121.75W
    Almost always shooters are high on something. Often prescribed as mood-altering drugs lead to paranoia and suicidal thoughts after prolong use.

Serial killers though…. Most of them are likely possessed. Just about all of them say that something forced them to kill.

19. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    I've met schizos. They're typically not that smart.

20. Mental illness is far more likely.
    But that doesn't show that demonic posession is NEVER the cause.

Just like conspiracies. When a conspiracy theory is postulated, it's far less likely than one, or a handful, of nutjobs acted on their own. But that doesn't prove that conspiracies never happen.