close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Democracy's Fatal Flaw: Welfare Should Mean No Vote

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Flying-Dutchman, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Found this and summarized it.

There is a conflict of interest letting a welfare recipient vote.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jAGFTmAl3o"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jAGFTmAl3o[/ame]

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's support"

George Bernard Shaw

1. From bondage to spiritual faith.
    2. From faith to great courage.
    3. From courage to liberty.
    4. From liberty to abundance.
    5. From abundance to complacency.
    6. From complacency to selfishness.
    7. From selfishness to apathy.
    8. From apathy to dependency.
    9. And from dependency back again into bondage."

-- Lord Thomas Babington Macaulay, author and politician, in a letter to a friend in 1857

2. Brucev

Brucev

Re: OP. Agree.

3. frank4570

frank4570

Yep. Not a democracy, though. It's supposed to be a republic.

4. Walt_NC

Walt_NC

Excellent point but why stop there? As long as we are trampling the Constitution why not only give voting priviledges to those who have served in the active-duty military for a minimum of 3 years? If you haven't demonstrated a willingness to fight and die in the defense of this country, to lead and to be led, then you are obviously too selfish and cowardly to make the hard choices necessary in deciding the future of this country.

5. Calico Jack

Calico Jack NO QUARTER

Sounds good to me.

6. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

Pay income tax you vote, military vote, real estate owners vote. Leaches No.

7. Scott3670

Scott3670

And all must present a valid Government-issued photo ID to cast their vote. Absolutely no exceptions.

8. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I've never received welfare, I work and pay my ••••! but because I havnt served shouldn't give me the right to vote? Hahaha real funny buddy.

9. Walt_NC

Walt_NC

Nope. Active duty and vets of active duty only. Tax payers and land owners are only able to live under an American flag, earn a living and own land because of the protection of the military. They're leaching off of other peoples sacrifices.

10. Walt_NC

Walt_NC

I don't agree with it. Im making the point that my scenario is just as reasonable as denying welfare recipients their Constitutional rights.

11. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Youve bumped your damn head!

12. JW1178

JW1178

How about only rich white land owners should be allowed to vote? :upeyes:

13. CourtCop

CourtCop Millennium Member

Where exactly do you think the money to pay for all those cool toys the military gets to play with comes from? Not to mention their pay and benefits.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

Bull****.

Citizen = right to vote.

Absolute bull****.

No reservists or guard in there? They die for their country, too.

No contrractors in there, who do the same job and die in the same locations on behalf of their government?

No CIA, DEA, ICE, FBI, who put their lives on the line for their fellow citizens, every day? No firefighters who risk their lives for others, every day?

What about school teachers? What about social workers? What about the tens of millions of others who contribute?

What about...the fact that the US constitution makes guarantees to all citizens, including the right to vote?

Serving in the military is not a responsibility nor is it a requirement. Those who do are to be congratulated for their decision, but there are many ways to serve and contribute beside just that.

The military wouldn't lift an ounce of cargo or fire a single round without taxpayer dollars buying every red cent. Go figure. The fact that an MRAP can drive a yard, or soldier can don a boot comes from civilians earning the money to buy the fuel to move that MRAP, or the boot to be issued to that soldier.

Some think that the world revolves around the military. It does not. Most certainly the military is a necessary component of our society and our nation, but it is not the central component, nor is it the be-all and end-all of citizenship. It is a part, and a worthy part, but to discount The many millions of others who contribute is quite wrong, and very narrow-sighted.

15. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

So Walt, I've assumed you've served before then??

16. Walt_NC

Walt_NC

Gentlemen. Slow down and take a breath. Scroll up.

17. Walt_NC

Walt_NC

Yes, I have. 5 years in the Army. But that has nothing to do with the point I'm making.

18. droidfire

droidfire

You mean the way it was originally before we changed it?

See, government can be modified to serve the people.

As one of the working people carrying dead weight moochers, count me in for no-vote to those who are forcing the working class into indentured servitude.

Too late though, they now can outvote us. Pity.

19. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I would agree that if you have not had a job for at least 5 yrs by age 25 (proved by W-2s 1040s/etc) OR proof of schooling (tech/college/etc)
    After age 30
    Heck lets just make it easy. If you are on welfare for more then 5 yrs in a row you lose your right to vote. With exceptions for serious medical issues. Not folks who have "bad backs" but bowl every week, wild dancing (lifting partners/deep dips) and race stock cars/ mud/dirt track.
    I was on court case where guy claimed he was hurt for life so he couldn't even drive to work. (much less work) BUT he was a stock car racer during same time..... Yep those are real gentle rides...
    Some folks take, and take. IIC Jefferson (Tomas not "Moving on up" George) said words to effect. "once folks realize they can vote themselves a raise the republic is doomed"
    Why does militay retirement pay NOT go up with cost of living? (or up at all?) Promises were made 20+ yrs ago...

20. Meanie5470

Meanie5470

You know, despite most welfare recipients being leeches, there are some that have been put in a situation where welfare is necessary and are not intentionally leeches of the system... what welfare is actually intended for. The answer is not to not let them vote. The answer is welfare reform. Give it only to people who legitimately need assistance and cannot work. If that were to happen there wouldnt be enough "leeches" to make a big difference in a national election.