close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Dell PSU upgrade

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by craig_o, Jul 8, 2009.

1. craig_o

craig_o CLM

Nov 20, 2006
  2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I'm not familiar w/ that model Dell...

Wasn't there an issue w/ some of the older model Dells, where they were using a proprietary connection for their power supplies? They weren't normal ATX connections, so you had to buy them from Dell...

Sounds like you have a newer model, so I doubt that is the case now days. I do however, remember reading about this. If you know you have a "normal" power supply, then the only suggestion I can make, is get the best Antec you can afford.

IGF

3. arcanetripwire

arcanetripwire I'm 10-8

Apr 4, 2007
    New Mexico
  4. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin

Feb 28, 2008
    Atlanta
    I'm assuming you are talking about getting an Nvidia GTX 260 ?, which is a great card by the way.

Yes, I would recommend more juice then your dell 375W PSU. As best I can tell from various sources that model Dell (XPS 410) does in fact use a standard ATX PSU. It also appears to be mostly tooless on the inside and would be easy to upgrade.

What arcanetripwire recommends is a solid PSU but you can get it at zipzoomfly and use ebillme and bring the price down a bit.CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX after MIR and ebillme = $54.99

If you don't want to jump through all the hoops involved in rebates and ebillme consider this psu - Antec EA500 Its a sold PSU and has the requisite 2xPCIe 6 pin connectors you will need for a GTX260. (I personally have the 430 watt earthwatts in my rig)

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Antec makes a modular... I've used a modular from Thermaltake before. They are very nice.

IGF

6. zodiacbw

zodiacbw

Apr 3, 2008
    Buford, GA
    Thermaltake, Antec, Corsair, all good PSUs, I use Enermax myself. As IndyGunFreak said be sure to double check that it isn't using a different pinout for the 24-pin connector, quick google search would probably answer that. Depending on the case, you might have to take a Dremel to the back to clear the vents or power connector. Just be sure you have good airflow, video cards get hot.

7. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Jan 28, 2001
    Going through this now, 7 year old Dell P4 box died, think its the PS. I picked up a Thermaltake 350w to replace the OEM 250w from a local best buy, but the old mobo uses a 20 pin connector, so now I gotta wait until Newegg ships me an $1.99 adapter.

If a new PS doesn't fix it, I may try my hand at building a PC, eyeing some parts on Newegg that comes to around $580 with shipping.

8. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Jan 28, 2001
    Well, it wasn't the PS, or RAM seating. Think the MOBO is dead.

Looks like I'll be wading into Vista land, at least the 64 bit version. Snagged a Dell refurbished box for cheaper than I can build.

9. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Jan 28, 2001
    Well it wasn't the MOBO either. The video card had died, for some reason it wouldn't let the HD spin up to boot. After putting in a old crappy FX 5200 card, we're up and running. The broke 7600GS card (yeah, still in AGP land) has a couple of capacitors? split open. I think I'll keep the new PSU installed anyway.

Anyway, it was a good kick in the ass to get a new box. We'll see how a Core i7 and 64 bit Vista runs next week. Plan to set up the old box to dual boot XP and Jaunty like my laptops.