close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Delivering a car from TX to NV - Carry and Ship Glock Home?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by NickV02, Apr 21, 2010.

1. NickV02

NickV02

Feb 8, 2010
    Texas
    Long story short, it appears as though I will be delivering a car (driving it) from Texas to Nevada (Las Vegas). According to handgunlaw.us and the TX DPS website, New Mexico and Arizona both recognize my Texas CHL. Nevada does not.

1) What are my options for carrying in Nevada. Does Nevada allow carry within your vehicle? Couldn't really find a clear cut answer.

2) Shipping the firearm home. I would be flying home from Nevada to Texas. I'm not real sure I want to deal with checking my firearm with the airline (still reading about that in a search I did on here), so what are the options for shipping the gun home? Would a FFL ship to a FFL? Or is it easier to go through UPS and ship it to myself?

Thanks in advance!

2. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

Jan 25, 2007
    in a desert
    you can ship to yourself ..

3. kensteele

kensteele

Aug 3, 2003
    Leawood, KS
    I highly recommend you take your firearm with you to the airport in LAV and check your baggage containing your unloaded firearm and pick it up at the airport back in TX when you land. Checked baggage only costs a few bucks (free on SWA) and you'll have it with you right away (unless it gets lost which is highly unlikely). Much easier than trying to ship it.

4. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

Nov 18, 2003
    Houston
    Ken left out the many rules for checking your firearm as baggage, including that it must be in a locked container. Check those rules before you choose this option.

5. cwprint

cwprint Millennium Member

Oct 21, 1999
    Virginia
    Also, ammo has to be stored in a seperate bag. I delivered a car to FL from VA a few years back. At the Key West airport I locked my handgun in one case and put my ammo in a box the airline gave me.

6. kensteele

kensteele

Aug 3, 2003
    Leawood, KS
    Yes, sorry....check the specific airline rules before you fly with a firearm. Also read Mac's Guide sticky at the top of this forum. My point is mailing firearms can turn into a really big hassle, especially if you are out of town. Couple of places turn you away and you may end up flying with your firearm anyway so you may as well be familiar. Honestly it's too easy.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

May 13, 2007
    Arizona Oven
    In Nevada, you're okay in the car if it's in a holster and in the glovebox, even loaded.

Unless you are in North Las Vegas or Boulder City, then you're in trouble for having a handgun without a NV permit.

...and yes, you have to drive through Boulder City on the way to Las Vegas.

8. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Mar 23, 2001
    WV
    Take along a Hi-Point instead, and throw it away before you come home.

9. NickV02

NickV02

Feb 8, 2010
    Texas
    Update. Flew home today from Vegas with my 19 locked in it's case. Southwest Airlines was more friendly than could be imagined. I followed Mac's guidelines and it was smooth sailing.

Two things, however, did happen. One I had no control over, one I should have been paying attention.

When I approached the counter, I disclosed my situation to the lady behind the counter, and she promptly took out the little red card you fill out and asked me to open the case so I could put it in. She said "thank you". However, while I was filling it out, she raised her voice to the other Southwest employee who was sending people from kiosks up to the counter and said "hey, hold off on sending anyone up, I'm checking in a firearm". As soon as she said it, she kind of hesitated and said to me "I guess I shouldn't have said that so loud." I looked around and no one seemed to notice, except maybe the guy next to me. No harm done.

The thing I did not see, as she took my bag away rather quickly to put on the conveyer (TSA is apparently behind the scenes at McCarran?), is she put the red tag on the OUTSIDE of the freakin' bag (or maybe TSA did, I have no idea). When my bag came out of the carousel, there it was, for all the world to see (if they knew what it was). A big red hatched tag on my luggage handle. I'm glad I followed the advice of "don't pee, don't get a magazine, don't stop at McDonald's, get your ass to the luggage conveyer pronto!". Good thing!

All in all, an A for effort to Southwest Airlines. No snide comments, no hesitations, it was as if she had done it a hundred times that day. I had read up on the internet about Southwest being one of the more friendly airlines towards customers with firearms. I'm glad it proved to be true.

A huge thanks to Mac for his writeup, and thanks to everyone else who posted in this thread, and Mac's.

10. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    I will be flying out of Vegas Fri morning with Delta. Hope it goes smoothly for me to.

11. B.Reid

B.Reid

Jun 20, 2005
    Montana
    I just flew to Alaska and back on Delta, got home yesterday. No problems at all. Truth is I think my bag was safer with the gun in it.

12. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

Only on a few airlines. Most airlines allow ammo in factory packaging, isolated packaging, or gun magazines, in the same bag as the gun. Some allow ammo in the actual gun case, so long as the gun itself is unloaded.

'Drew

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Personally, I'd just leave it at home. A gun is just a tool and, while it is often the best tool, it isn't the only way of handling problems. When it's too difficult to carry a gun, I just don't.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  14. vmann

vmann Controller

Jan 22, 2010
    DFW
    what airport is LAV??

15. kensteele

kensteele

Aug 3, 2003
    Leawood, KS
    Sorry McCarran which is LAS.

16. Combatcomm

Combatcomm

Jan 22, 2010
    Middle Georgia

:rofl::rofl:

17. Timberwulf

Timberwulf Pack'n Llama

Sep 28, 2001
    TX
    I very frequently fly with my Walther properly checked in my baggage (four or more times a year). It's really not very difficult, and other than the bonehead putting the tag on the outside of the bag, you can see how easy it is. Don't feel bad, I got to show mine was unloaded "old school" last weekend - the guy apparently hadn't gotten the memo and made me demonstrate that it was unloaded there at the ticketing counter - haven't had to do that since 1999 (I usually fly American and know their policies inside and out). The ticketing agent on my flight back looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him if he wanted me to pull it out and show that it was unloaded - I had figured it was a SWA thing since I haven't flown them armed since, well 1999.

Anyhow, if you have a permit to carry a concealed weapon that is valid in the place you are going, why wouldn't you take it with you? Better to have and not need than need and not have. :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  18. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    Went super smooth. I did not check in ahead of time since I did not bring a printer with me to Vegas. Walked up to the ticket counter said I have a firearm to declare in my checked bag. Agent said that is fine handed me a red tag. I signed and dated it and she said to put it on top of the case. Closed the bag and off it went. At Vegas they put the bag on a belt that goes to the back so I don't think TSA even knows it is a bag with a gun. I HOPE they notice it when they scan it and then I assume they open it to make sure the tag is in there. :)

That is twice (my first two times) that they did not want me to open the case.

19. No longer true. NRS invokes state premeption; The NLV and Boulder City statutes are invalid and the City attorney for NLV has even admitted it.You can OC anywhere in Nevada and have a weapon in your vehicle if not concealed on your person.. You may get hassled, but you are not breaking any law. I OC'd in North town lalt month.

No issues

Last edited: May 1, 2010