close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Degroat Nano

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by emt1581, Mar 31, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Now that it has been out for a few months, has anyone heard anything about them from other owners or got a chance to use one themselves?

It looks like the best bang for the buck on the market by far! It can shoot over a dozen different calibers, uses baffels, wipes and can be used wet. Plus it can be completely taken apart for cleaning. Oh yeah and it's 100% TITANIUM so it should hold up pretty well.

I saw a youtube video on it but other than that, I haven't really seen or heard anything. Please share what you've got.

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

2. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

May 17, 2005
    Land O lakes, FL
    Ive fondled one that my SOT had in his safe. Very precise machining and laser engraving. I've never heard it in person, only on the net. I own James' MK9 MOD0 can for my M9, great can very well built and sounds good to.

The nano is a great little can.... Ti, wipes, multical use, and no booster needed. It would look right at home on a threaded Beretta21a or PPK.:cool:

Buy one and let us know how is sounds:whistling:hehe

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    I actually emailed James yesterday and am waiting for a response.

I'm not buying anything until I find out...

1) What calibers it can handle (a complete list!), rather than just the few that are listed on his site.

2) Why it doesn't need a ND/Booster?

3) What it sounds like without wipes/wet? Seems to me that the baffel system isn't any good without at least a wipe in it.

I haven't seen ANY reviews on this online and given that it's been out for a few months now, I find that a little odd.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

4. Fireman1291

May 17, 2005
    Land O lakes, FL
    Its WAAAAYY light, this is why it doesnt need a booster. The weight will still allow a browning type action to unlock.

It was designed as a wipe/wet only can because of its lack of volume.

It can handle .22, 25, .32, .380, 9mm.

5. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods

-Emt1581

6. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    When asking about other calibers, think bore size and gas volume.

All the 17 rem fires will be OK.
    All the 22 rem fires will be OK.
    223, HELL NO..unless you are hand loading them to make them produce less gas.

7. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Oh ok. That makes sense.

I know it's just wishful thinking but it'd be nice to have a can that could handle anything from a .45acp (diameter-wise) on down. That'd mean .45, 10mm/.40S&W, 9mm, .357sig, etc...a one can fits all type of deal. Again, just wishful thinking.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

8. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004
    I don't know if I would try a 10mm in a 45ACP suppressor. This would be gas volume related.

My SWR didn't work with 45Super until it was modified. It should be able to do 10mm also.

A 9mm suppressor should do 300-221 subsonic, but I would want Degroat to verify that since his suppressor is different.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  9. Fireman1291

May 17, 2005
    Land O lakes, FL
    He is suppossed to be working on a 45 can that is wiped and boosterless.....You might want to ask him if hes close to releasing it, or if you should pull the trigger on the nano.

BTW the wipes last approx 20rds IIRC, there is a video of him out there shooting it until it gets loud from a worn out wipe.

To me this can doesnt have a place on a target range, but rather around your house dispatching critters while not alarming others.

10. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    I dunno...still hasn't responded to me yet. He responded within the hour that last few times I emailed him. But he could be on vacation or just really busy.

As far as the Nano, yes, it does seem like it'd be better for non-target shooting. I know I've used my can to dispatch MANY ground hogs that were trying to get at my garden...works like a charm! Plus I'm guessing a 9mm would do a MUCH better job than a .22lr. But if he is coming out with a wiped/boosterless .45acp...so long as I could use 9mm and a bunch of other calibers in it, I'd rather have that, even though I'm not a huge .45acp fan.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

11. Jakk

Jakk Millennium Member

Nov 10, 1999
    Michigan
    You can make your own. It's just a sheet of neoprene rubber cut into disks.

My experience has been that a 1-size-fits-all can is going to be less effective in all calibers. If you are primarily going to use 9mm, get a 9mm can. The mini, wet, wiped cans are kind of a niche offering. For general shooting, a larger boosted can is going to be a better option for most people. (that being said, I'm still tempted to get a Nano, or the Poseidon from Thompson Machine).

12. Fireman1291

May 17, 2005
    Land O lakes, FL
    Totally agree!:cool:

13. Liquid

Liquid

Oct 19, 2001
    South Florida
    looks pretty neat and the price seems reasonable. i would like to see how the numbers compare to an evo's 128.

14. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    I know it's been two months but I wanted to update yall on what Degroat responded with...

"Pretty much any pistol caliber under 9mm and that is not a magnum round. If you have a certain caliber you would like to know if it will work with let me know what they are.

It was not made to work with .223 or any rifle calibers.

The reason the Nano do not need a booster, is because of the size and weight of the suppressor is light enough that one is not needed.

The suppressor will reduce the sound level when fired dry, but the way the baffle/monocore is design it's designed to be fired wet."

My question is...what calibers are under a 9mm? I take that to mean 9mm, 9mm Mak, .380, 357sig, 32acp, 25, .22lr, .22mag, .17. Am I missing any? Are there any I included (like the .357sig) that might not work?

I know, as was mentioned if I want the best 9mm can to GET a 9mm can. But having a suppressor that I can take off of my Glock and screw on to my MKII...I'm sorry but that's is just awesome on a whole nother level!! :cool:

Any other cans even come close to being that versatile?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

15. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Yes. You can shoot a smaller bullet through a larger hole. If you get a 9mm can and shoot .22 rimfire through it, you will be pleased with 9mm performance and disappointed at .22 rimfire performance.

Get a 9mm can and a .22 can.

RWBlue, for the gas volume issue with 10mm, I'd just download it subsonic rather than full power 10mm. For full power 10mm you have to accommodate the volume for up to and including 18gr of powder. That's a lot of gas volume to contend with from a relatively compact package (the .44 mag takes 20-22gr of powder or so for full power loads).

16. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Why will I be disappointed? Why would a can that can quiet a 9mm round, not do a decent (if not better) job quieting a round that is smaller, possibly slower, lighter, etc.?

AFAIK, this is also the smallest and lightest can on the market.

-Emt1581

17. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004
    Maybe not since he is using wipes.

Probably if you want the BEST performance. But if you are thinking of buying a cheap 9mm Can and a cheap 22LR Can, I think I would rather suggest buying a good 9mm can and see how disappointed you really are with the 22LR.

True, you can down load the 10mm, but then it is just a 40S&W with a long case. AND probably more importantly, What happens when you send a FULL powered 10mm down the pipe?

BTW, Does anyone have the DB number on this suppressor?

18. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

The bore diameter is too large versus the bullet diameter to effectively cut off the gas flow and slow it down. Gas will leak around the bullet and get ahead of the bullet. It will be quite loud and not efficient. The smaller the bore and the smaller the gas volume the quieter the suppressor will be. There are a few like the 45 TiRant that have very advanced baffles that make it quieter than most 9mm cans but that is rare.

If weight is the number one criteria, then it looks like this is the one.

Don't know. Everything I've read on wipes indicates they are as effective at suppression as many want. Quiet for a magazine or so and then get real loud.

Don't forget to match the threads or get an adapter.

I'm sure those few makers that have a .40 caliber can engineered it for the 10mm as well. I wouldn't think anything of it.

Don't know if ****worth tested it. Haven't been to his site in a while. Don't know about ST either.

19. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods

-Emt1581

20. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004
    I have heard the same thing. It is great for tactical use, where Seals/Special forces.....go in to shoot one person/gather intel...., but after one mag it gets LOUD.

It shouldn't be a problem with 9mm and 22LR as they usually use the same thread pattern. But it is always a consideration.