Definitive Arms AR15 mag conversion for the 5.56 AK

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Sturmgewehre, Feb 4, 2013.

1. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAjidZr5D7o"]Definitive Arms - AR15 mags in an AK - YouTube[/ame]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. .38 super

.38 super Observer

Great video, thank you!

3. Thanks for the review. Been waiting to see if it was a reliable product, good to hear you have a couple thousand through it w/o issue.

The only thing that makes me hesitate is that mags are one of the strong points of the AK platform and one of the weak points of the AR platform as far as durability and robustness go. AR mags have made a lot of strides in that area, but it still makes me hesitate when considering this conversion.

4. I would like to try this. Being able to use the same magazines would make things much easier/economical.

5. PMAGs are exceptionally reliable in my experience. This video should highlight the exceptional performace of PMAGs in harsh conditions.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHwoZ6SS_pY"]AR-15 Reliability Demonstration - YouTube[/ame]

6. Yeah, I saw that video. I watch all your videos actually.
    Any chance of doing a similar video with this Definitive Arms AK. :D

Part of it also the positive seating of the rock and lock style mag insertion, you know it's in, you don't have to worry about accidentally not fully seating the mag,

Don't get me wrong, I like ARs, was into them before I got into AKs, I just always felt the mag system was one of the big factors in the robustness of the AK platform. I don't think this is a bad product or anything, I have contemplated getting the conversion done to my SLR106, just not 100% sold on dumping the AK mag system for the AR's.

I already have a bunch of mags for my SLR106, so that doesn't help my hesitation.

7. If you have a stock of 5.56mm AK mags I wouldn't be all that excited about doing a conversion to your rifle either unless you sought to capitalize on their current market value should you sell them and go with PMAGs for your rifle.

I've never had any interest in buying 5.56mm AK mags. I have enough money wrapped up in 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 mags. Now that this product is on the market I have a 5.56mm AK and love the thing. I can take one case of ammo to the range, and one pouch full of mags and shoot my AR, SCAR, ACR, AUG, FS2000 and now my AK.

8. I've always avoided 5.56 AK's like the plague (as have most people from what I've read...) but that video makes me want one! Looks really cool.

9. barth

barth six barrels

My Arsenal SLR-106U 5.56 eats anything and runs like butter.
    HORNADY 5.56 NATO 75 GR. BTHP T2 TAP
    Silver State Armory 5.56 70 gr Barnes LF TSX BT
    Silver State Armory 5.56 77 gr HPBT
    Winchester Ranger .223 64 gr Power-Point
    Winchester Ranger .223 69 gr HPBT.
    Federal TRU .223
    LAKE CITY M855 PENETRATOR 5.56.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#9 barth, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  10. :tongueout:

11. barth

barth six barrels

I really believe the first one was one of the very early models with known teething pains. Spanking new models of guns, in any caliber, from any manufacturer, often have a few bugs.

But Arsenal stands by their products.
    And the replacement gun has been nothing short of flawless.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another Arsenal.

You guys remember way too much - LOL!

#11 barth, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  12. Just giving you a hard time, lol.

13. I should be receiving my Definitive Arms AK within the next 2 weeks. I've been waiting since October. I wasn't interested in a 5.56 AK until I started looking at the AR mag adapters. 5.56 AK mags are not as readily available as AR15 magazines. I wanted a platform that would use AR15 magazines and I think the Definitive Arms rifle is just what I was looking for. Can't wait for it to get here.

14. The 5.56 AK mags were readily available before the panic, but yeah, since then they are pretty hard to find. Best bet for 5.56 AK mags right now are Beryl mags on gunbroker.
    Need another boat full of themto hit our shores, Bulgaria needs to get the ball rolling. lol

15. .38 super

.38 super Observer

The guy that worked on the Factory 10 mags have his own line of mags now, the site is in Bulgarian, the factory is located in Kazanlak's vicinity ( http://niko-enina.com/Начало ), here the AK47 mags selection: http://niko-enina.com/Продукти/items/7--ak-47
    Here is the 5.56:http://niko-enina.com/Продукти/items/6-ar-15
    [​IMG]

I can ask one of his distributors in BG, never tried this particular type because they don't have the 5.45 - ones, but they are not expensive, I think... The mags are not permitted to be sold outside of the country by a business, but private citizens can purchase it and send it anywhere, technically this is not forbidden product for export, but customs can give you some trouble if they want to and stop the shipment... It is still legal to receive such product here as long as total of the package does not go over $100 I have been told... It's true... :supergrin:

16. All of those 5.56 mags are for the AR. Only AK mags are for 7.62x39 and they do not appear to have steel lugs or reinforced feed lips.

17. .38 super

.38 super Observer

Yes, this is 50/50 correct I believe... They are for AR but all of them have steel reinforcements by the lips molded in the mag's body.... I don't know how good they are, it was some additional info that I got, maybe I should get some here and try them...

18. My Definitive Arms rifle arrived today. Very pleased. I swapped the pistol grip for a SAW type grip and put a Tapco Intrafuse hand guard with a light on it. I have a folding stock ordered. Can't wait to get it to the range.

[​IMG]

#18 tchick, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  19. My Bonesteel Arms folding stock came in. Very pleased with it. The only other thing I may add is a TWS rail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. recon

Millennium Member

This company use to have spot on the AR 15 site! Now there gone. Not sure if that's good or not?