close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Definition of "good condition"

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Foxtrotx1, May 19, 2012.

1. Bob Hafler

Bob Hafler

Sep 13, 2011

2. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    :ack:

I wouldn't pay $50 for that.

3. 4 glocks

4 glocks

Jun 29, 2010
    It says " Just good condition"= POS

4. 40 0'Glock

40 0'Glock

Mar 22, 2009
    Philadelphia
    CAI really imports some full-fledged beaters.

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Remember that to the seller of a gun it is a "minor blemish in the finish" and to the buyer it is "rust that appears to have weakened the frame." In this ad maybe "good" means the functionality of the gun, not the finish.

6. AZ Jeff

AZ Jeff

Aug 20, 2003
    middle of AZ
    NRA MODERN GUN CONDITION STANDARDS:

NEW: Not previously sold at retail, in same condition as current factory production.

PERFECT: In New condition in every respect. (Jim's note - in my experience, many collectors & dealers use "As New" to describe this condition).

EXCELLENT: New condition, used but little, no noticeable marring of wood or metal, bluing perfect, (except at muzzle or sharp edges).

VERY GOOD: In perfect working condition, no appreciable wear on working surfaces, no corrosion or pitting, only minor surface dents or scratches.

GOOD: In safe working condition, minor wear on working surfaces, no broken parts, no corrosion or pitting that will interfere with proper functioning.

FAIR: In safe working condition but well worn, perhaps requiring replacement of minor parts or adjustments which should be indicated in advertisement, no rust, but may have corrosion pits which do not render article unsafe or inoperable.

7. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Jan 8, 2004
    Southern IN
    Pretty rough.

If it was a Smith, I would have it refinished after purchase. Of course, if it was a Smith, I doubt I could get it for $169.00. :dunno:

8. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Jan 29, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    Man, Good and Fair are generous words there.

9. Decguns

Decguns

Dec 29, 2003
    NC
    Welcome to the used & surplus gun world! Takes a while for most Noobs to understand the NRA Condition Standards. In your mind, "Good" condition is likely equivalent to NRA "Excellent" condition. In the real world, "Good" condition essentially means the gun will work. Scratched, pitted, counter-bored, rusty, worn... but in working order.

Companies like Century Arms label their products per the NRA criteria... "Good" is usually pretty ugly. But it meets the standards. Other importers often cut the consumer a break, and to perserve their good reputation, grade guns one under... "Very Good" labeled as "Good" for instance.