Glock Talk banner

Defining Moment(s) that led to your decision to CCW

419K views 1K replies 1K participants last post by  Chuck Finley69 
#1 · (Edited)
[Edit on 12/09/2010]: I requested a change to the thread's name, and I've decided to add something to this OP to better clarify the thread's intent.

There are dozens of threads, if not hundreds, with the subject "Why I/you/we CCW"...which is why I started this thread in the first place: to ask specifically about "Defining Moments" that you may have had, which led you to the decision to CCW. I haven't kept track of exact numbers, but a considerable portion of the posts -- particularly those more recent -- have been along the lines of "I CCW because..." which doesn't fit the thread's intent.

I'm not trying to play Moderator here, nor am I criticizing those who've posted "Why I Carry" responses to this thread; I'm simply wanting to remind folks that this thread is meant to be different from those "Why I Carry" threads.

Thanks

[End of 12/09/2010 Edit]
I want to briefly describe two incidents that led me to the decision to carry a firearm for self-defense. And if YOU had a defining moment--or numerous ones--that led to your CCW decision, then I think it would be interesting to read about them.

My story isn't very exciting, but I do hope you'll share your "defining moment(s)" with your fellow GT'ers.

Brief Background
I grew up in a family that only occasionally hunted. My dad had a .22LR rifle and a bolt-action .30-06 for large game. As for "incidents," I'd witnessed a few road-rage episodes and the like, but no weapons were ever involved and no deadly threats--perhaps one possible threat of serious bodily harm at age 15 (road rage).

Defining Moment
It was around October of 2002. My wife and I were talking about starting a family, and my mind was occupied by the responsibilities of a husband and future father. One morning I was listening to a local radio talk show (Bob Lonsberry -- www.lonsberry.com) and he was talking about CCW (he's a CCW'er and a vocal advocate for it), and he urged his audience to read a column he'd written regarding CCW entitled "This is Why I Carry a Gun." (He wrote two versions: one version for a general audience and another version for Guns & Ammo.)

I read both articles, and it was as if lightning had struck me. Paternal instinct? Maybe so.

The Decision
Long story short, from late 2002 till early 2003 I conducted my own crash course in firearms (handguns mostly) and CCW -- did so via the Internet, books, magazines, friends, etc. I'd handled Glocks in the gun shops and took a particular liking to the Glock 19, but budget constraints forced me to settle for a Kel-Tec P-11, which I eventually purchased in early summer of 2004 and could legally carry concealed one month later, UT permit in hand. (I eventually purchased a G19 and subsequently sold the P-11.)

Like I said, it's not that exciting a story.

Anyway, I hope you'll chime in and tell us about your Defining Moment(s).

See less See more
#852 ·
I work in real estate so I am in empty homes all the time with people I don't know. I have had some very sketchy situations so I carry 24/7.
A good friend's wife is a principal in real estate and had a couple of scary episodes showing properties before she decided to thigh-carry a Glock G-26.

I wonder how many female real estate agents are packing. The NRA or some other pro-Second Amendment group ought to conduct a credible survey about the need for professional women like her (and others, of course) to protect themselves in this day and age of undocumented, buzzed, paroled, crazed, etc ... perpetrators among us.

#853 · (Edited)
me and a friend were walking to the store one day in philly, i went into the store and he went to the side of the store to take a leak.

i came out of the store with our drinks and he comes flying pass me damn near knocked me down and while confused when i turned to look onto the side of the store their was a guy with a gun who started firing at my friend, my friend ended up taking one in the back of the head and the guy would have shot me if the gun hand not of jammed on him...

that was the first time i'd ever seen anyone die so horribly right in front of me, i literally couldn't move, i watched as he shaked and his eye rolled in his head, i watched him choke on his blood as he coughed it up and the blood pour from his head, i watched as his father grabbed his dying soon screaming and yelling for help and their was nothing anyone could do...

i later found out the guy was trying to rob him but he didn't have any money, i was the one with the money and it was my decision to go to the store, my treat...

the crazy part is i've always been around guns growing up, having and uncle in the marines who was a nam vet, guns weren't anything new to me but he tough us how to use and respect them and i never once thought about owning and carrying a gun until that day when i realized i could have saved my friends life...

the guy ended getting arrested and is now doing life and i carry EVERYWHERE!

#854 ·
For me, there wasn't a defining moment. It was what my mom, dad, and brother did. Firearms are, to my family, an integral part of American life. They belong every bit as much as the ballot and the churches of varying faiths. For coyotes, pop cans, or bad people, a gun ought to always be at hand.

#857 · (Edited)
Last April (2006), I nearly became a stabbing victim in a Wal-Mart parking lot, and that was my wakeup call that I am responsible for my own safety and well being.

I strongly believe in the right to self defense, and the fact that the cops can't protect you all the time. Another thing I believe in is that criminals don't only hang around the dirtier parts of town, some of the more "safer" places can be prime targets for bad guys, so I'm always armed at all waking hours.
I wear my Glock all the time i'm awake as well. That is just one way to get use to carrying. Carry should be automatic not something you have to think about. Should you find yourself in a situation where you have to pull your gun, your mind doesnt need to be thinking about if you have your weapon or not. My defining moment occured at a Seattle bus stop. I was waiting for my bus when these 3 thugs walked right up too this dude and without warning just started pounding on him. They beat him uncouncious and broke 5 bones in his face. I was helpless to help the guy. And it could have been ME! I am a disabled Vet with a partial foot amputation and a prostetic eye, so I felt really vulnerable. So I bought my Glock and got my CCW a month later. Now I shoot twice a week, am taking gun classes and I also bought a Mossbeerg for truck and home. There has been an increase in home invasions and I want to share some minerals with anyone who decides to make me a victum. Minerals=Lead:faint:

#859 ·
I always had a gun. However, A few years ago, there was an attempt to steal my ATV (All Terrain Vehicle) from my property. Long story short, the LEO got there on time and was able to catch one of the two thieves (BG). The BG was put to jail for about six months. The detective working on this case told me that they had questioned the BG and he confessed to the crime. As per the BG's report, they (BGs) had followed me home from where I was riding. Once they knew where i lived, they decided to make there move the next day when I went to work.

So I asked myself what if they had decided to make there move while I got home or on my way home? What if they had a gun? Next morning I was on the phone requesting a CCW Application.

#861 ·
The whole Connecticut home invasion, rape, and burning murder thing of the Doctor and his family really affected me. I have an 11 year old girl who looks remarkeably like that poor child in that incident.

#862 ·
My story is not nearly as moving, but it makes sense non the less. I have read the Constitution and understand the events that transpired before this country was formed, but never really believed that the times we live in are dangerously similar to the way things were then.

About 5 years ago, I was working for a solid conservative Congressman in Washington DC. During my time there, I was able to see first hand how terribly mixed up our country is and how quickly our rights (particularly the 2nd Amendment) can be taken away from us. We are never more than 4 years away from being prohibited to live the way we do today. I once saw a signature line from a poster on this forum that showed a picture of a man holding a sign at a DC rally, it stated "We've come unarmed.......this time". Firearms are the ultimate check and balance...and they are worthless unless they are readily available.

Thats why I carry......because our freedoms are eroding, the world is becoming increasingly unstable and I'm not going to rely on someone else to protect my family.

#863 ·
Thats why I carry......because our freedoms are eroding, the world is becoming increasingly unstable and I'm not going to rely on someone else to protect my family.

One of the most well put and true statements i have read on here.
I had thought about getting my ccw for a while and never did it. Well one day i was in a convenience store and while waiting in line a guy got mad because someone behind skipped in front of and he threatened to go to his truck and get his gun. That night i called and set up my ccw class.

#864 ·
I purchased my first handgun for home defense and sport shooting. Took my CPL class in July of 2011. Never went down and applied for the permit.

An angry customer calls me in September of 2011, mad because I removed his vehicle off of his auto insurance policy per HIS REQUEST, later that day his daughter was in an accident with the vehicle, and he is being held responsible for 100% of the damages. He threatened to come up and bust out my business windows. I ran an internet search on him, found out he has had and STILL has a PPO for stalking active against him. Fast forward to that night, I am sitting out on my front porch when guess who drives by my house, TWICE...

the next day I went downtown and filed for my license, been carrying everyday since.

#865 ·
This horrible family massacre occurred on May 14, 1973 in Donalsonville, Georgia. I remember hearing about it in the news while in high school, and it happened over 100 miles from my hometown. I never really paid much attention to the incident at that time, but for whatever reason the sad story stuck in my memory.

Two unrelated personal events not associated with the Alday massacre had a lasting impact on me. I've had a part-time job in high school working in a small mom & pop grocery store. After the owner was nearly killed by two punks using an axe, I began thinking about personal safety. The two young men thought they had killed the owner and threw him in the meat locker. The good news is that he lived through the ordeal as he was only knocked unconscious. Worked as a bank teller during summer break back in 1976, and it got robbed after I had left to go back to college. The two robbers threatened to kill all of the bank personnel during the holdup. Fortunately no one was hurt. That left a negative impression on me about how easy someone else can take your life.

Whenever I'm in a hurry leaving my house and don't feel like carrying, I simply recall the Alday Family Massacre. It then becomes an easy decision to go back and pick up some type of protection.

If you are not familar with the story, one can google the Alday Family Massacre for the details. Several books have been written about the unfortunate incident. It is really sad that most Georgia residents are not even aware that the killings took place. May 14, 1973 is certainly one of the dark stains in Georgia history, and it should not be forgotten. Those that do remember the Alday deaths have lost faith in the Georgia judicial system to a degree. I certainly have and that's why I carry.

#866 ·
Greetings,

The horrible massacre at McDonald's, in San Diego. I've never gotten over my horror of that unthinkable tragedy. I made the commitment to learn what was needed, learn the laws, practice until I felt comfortable and capable, and then did the deed. I've never needed to respond, and I hope I NEVER do! But, just being prepared to defend myself, my family, and other innocents, makes all that effort more than worthwhile, both then, and now. For what it's worth..... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

#867 ·
I have heard rumors that the gun control people want to eliminate pistols and CCW in NY for years. So I figured get it now, before its to late. I live in a pretty crime free area, way out in the country. I used to carry my ar15 when out in the woods cutting wood or whatever, but its usually in the truck or on the 4wheeler and that doesnt do much good there, so having my glock 20 on my side in case of a wild animal attack is the better option. You never know, the one time you might need that glock and dont have it you might not live to tell a bout it. So since its my right living in the USA I carry my glock 27. I hope I never ever have to pull it and use it on a person, but if I do, I will do it without hesitation, because I can carry it, I do carry it and I train alot with it. I shoot almost every day. Im not a doomsdayer or anything, but you just never know when it might come in handy.

#869 ·
I never had a defining moment, more of a natural progression. Most of my family are LEOs, lawyers or something in between, and on top of that my grandfather is a hunter. Guns, and their safe use, has been instilled in me since I was a small child.

When if came to picking my major in college, I choose criminal justice. The combination of my fathers police work, two shootings, and the information I acquired in school, led me to realize you can have the best police force in the world, but that doesn't matter much if you are sitting at a stop light and are getting car jacked. The response time will never be quick enough to help you. I choose not to be at the mercy of someone elses protection.

This has been further reenforced by recently becoming an uncle. I dont even have kids of my own, but I know I would do anything to protect my nephew.

#872 ·
I absolutely obliterated my right knee back in late 2010. 2 surgeries and almost a year of therapy and im still at it trying to get it back to a level where it should be. one swift strike to that knee and i will be incapacitated for some time. so with one more sufficent blow to my knee im looking at a requirment for a complete knee replacment. so for me peice of mind i carry. i will most likley never need to resort to my glock but if i have to i like knowing its there. my knee injury seriously affects my ability to get out of a sticky situation. atleast an unarmed situation.

#873 ·
Way back in 1974 I got my first concealed carry permit. My job required I have a weapon. I wasn't carrying all the time until 2008 when I was in a very uncomfortable position with 8 young "gangsta" types. I managed to keep it from becoming violent and at that point I realized I was a fat old man who couldn't run or fight his way outta a paper bag. Next day to the Sherrifs Dept, filed a report of the incident and picked up the carry permit pack. Joined the modern world, retired the 6 shooter and got me a high cap 9mm. About a year later my wife decided she wouldn't be an easy target and got her permit too. My EDC is a G30 and wife's EDC is a G26.

#876 ·
I do PC repair in home. I went to this 1 guy's house, waaay out in the boonies. Meth head, standing over me the whole time I was working. Felt like he was sizing me up and kept eyeing my equipment (laptop, tools, etc.). I carry a knife, but I didn't feel adequate with just my 3" blade. Usually my worst concern is getting stiffed. This guy felt like I was going to get burried in the back yard. I left quickly.