close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Defensive bullet pushback

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by thewoo1, Jan 9, 2012.

1. thewoo1

thewoo1

May 8, 2011
    Would JHP rounds in this case 124 gr +P 9mm be subject to bullet pushback? I ask because I unload my g19 when I leave work

2. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    All semiauto rounds are subject to "Set back". It depends on the caliber & the individual gun. SOme offer more than others. Yes you should always inspect your rounds when you unchamber & prior to rechambering. Rounds shorter than 1/16" from factory should be removed to a practice box (if you feel brave) or broken down for components or tossed. With some calibers the pressure increase is significant.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  3. NG VI

NG VI

Feb 20, 2008
    Maine
    Why subject your defense gun to multiple unnecessary chamberings? Why not just leave it on and in a proper holster?

4. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

:animlol:

5. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    All semi-auto handgun cartridges are subject to set back. Some sooner than others, but none are exempt. Keep it loaded and in a good holster, and don't mess with it.

6. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    You guys do know storing guns in leather holsters is NOT good for the finish??

7. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    You do know that not all holsters are leather?

8. ghr1142

ghr1142

May 26, 2011
    I'm thinking about "set back" How can I measure this ?? Is it that you have to inspect new ammo out of the box ?
    GT-17-19-26-27-33

9. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Correct, compare it to factory new, you can see 1/16" w/o having to actually measure it. I have seen bad factory ammo, so I inspect every round that goes into my gun for SD/HD.
    And that should be qualified, not a blanket statement.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  10. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

Mar 25, 2003
    Tennessee
    If for whatever reason you choose not to keep the firearm loaded, I would suggest loading the weapon by locking the slide to the rear, inserting a round into the chamber, close the slide, then insert the magazine. That way you dont have to worry about the bullet eating the feed ramp every time you close the slide on a full mag.

11. NG VI

NG VI

Feb 20, 2008
    Maine
    Yeah, but it will wreck your extractor soon enough unless you are using one of the few weapons designed to work that way.

Glocks are not one of them.

12. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

Mar 25, 2003
    Tennessee
    I honestly dont see how this would put more wear on the extractor compared to normal firing.

13. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Snapping the extractor over the round vs having it feed into the extractor. Some guns, this eventually breaks or chips the extractor. Semiautos are designed to feed from the mag & full speed, that is how they should also be loaded.

14. dsa1115

dsa1115

Sep 22, 2010
    Suburban Chicago
    I'm thinking about "set back" How can I measure this ?? Is it that you have to inspect new ammo out of the box ?

Answer....If you want to measure the OAL, buy some calipers. You'd be surprised by the OAL variations I find on NIB factory ammunition.

15. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

Fred's right. It is not smart to do this as soon the extractor will be ruined and more importantly the gun won't function. Maybe when you need it most.

16. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

Aug 23, 2008
    Beavercreek, OH
    To the OP; several years ago, I wondered this very thing. I did an "experiment" where I took 10 124 +P GDHP's and measured the OAL with a caliper. I then proceeded to chamber all of them and eject them from my Glock 26. I figured with the higher spring tension in that gun, if there was any chance of bullet setback, it would be from that. I measured the OAL after unchambering, and repeated the process 9 more times for each bullet. In the end, I found that the cartridges were longer than when they started. It seems that the sudden stopping in the chamber would actually start pulling the bullet out instead of setting it back.

Granted, bullet setback is a possibility, and I have seen it from cartridges getting caught on the feed ramp of a firearm, I didn't see it in the experiment I performed. If you're really worried, when you load your gun, don't let the slide snap home, but instead "ride" it in order to gently chamber the round and just make sure the gun is fully locked into battery before you holster.

17. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

Not a smart move. ALWAYS chamber with authority. I use the slide stop however many "slingshot" as well. NEVER ride the ctg. home slowly. NEVER.

18. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    I teach that as well. Riding the slide is going to eventually cause a malfunction, especially if it becomes a habit ingrained in your muscle memory. Same w/ inserting mags, don't baby the gun, it will eventually fail you. Full speed, that is how the gun is designed to run. Just inspect your ammo after each unload & make sure the bullet hasn't moved more than 1/16" deeper or longer for that matter. Once the neck tension has been broken, that round is less reliable.