close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Defensive Ammo & The Springfield 1911-A1 G.I.?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Michigun, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Ok guys… I just picked me up a hardly used 5” Springfield 1911-A1 ‘mil-spec’ G.I…. so what is the general consensus on my choices for 45acp defensive ammo for this bad boy…

Stick with ‘ball’ 230-grain FMJ?

… OR …

Is there a good option for an HP round that feeds well in one of these non-ramped G.I. guns?

Someone gave me a box of Federal’s 165-grain (EFMJ) Expanding Full Metal Jackets, but their flat nose is no better then the box of Winchester 230-grain Ranger-T’s I have laying around as well…(not sure how the EFMJ’s perform?)

How about Corbon’s 165-grain Pow-R-Ball ammo? (not sure how the these perform?) They sure would feed as well as ‘ball’ ammo…

Just looking for some input… thanks!

P.S. The original owner of my new-to-me G.I. had the slide milled out & a good set of sights installed, which is a HUGE plus! (Next on the list is to figure out a DIY grip safety ‘bump’ for this Spring’er…J.B. Weld?)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. knedrgr

knedrgr

3. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

?? Mine has a feed ramp? 06 manufacture. I feed it 230gr +P or non +P Gold Dots. Never had a problem with this ammo.

4. ctfireman

ctfireman

Powrball for me.

5. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Soon sir, soon! :cool:

Not mine... just the chamfer.

Reason?

6. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

Golden Sabers are pretty good for feeding in picky pistols. They have a more rounded nose then some of the more modern loads.

The big problem with them is they tend to have a very high muzzle flash in low light, or at least did. They may have changed powders, but I wouldn't know since I use Gold Dots or Ranger-T's.

7. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Guest

I like Hornady TAP ammo. It is 230gr of +p goodness. I have yet to have any feeding problems in either of my 1911's using it.

8. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

If this G.I. had a feed-ramp I'd be ALL OVER either of those loads... from experience YEARS ago now with another Springfield 1911-A1 I do know that I'll be keeping away from the Gold Dots... they were reliable 90% of the time but would hang up the other 10%... Gold Dots have a pretty aggressive HP design! (Love'em with any other pistol!)

Now, the Ranger-T's HP design isn't too extreme so I'm planning to try a box of those out in my Springer. (Just because I have'em already.)

Yes, but do your 1911's have feed-ramps?

9. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

How about the newer Hornady Critical Defense 185-grain FTX load? It's profile is VERY close to a FMJ...

10. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Guest

Just the officer sized Kimber.. my SA Loaded eats it just fine without a ramped barrel

11. woodrowNC

woodrowNC

i don't know if he's changed his opinion but a few yrs back clint smith said he didn't even bother with hollowpoints. that big ol ball was enough. said he didn't want any chances of a failure. i imagine he knows more about it than we do.

12. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Well... the Winchester Ranger-T's are out... I had 2 failures to feed in 50-rounds...

Federal's EFMJ did good... but that was only a 20-round test...

I went ahead & grabbed a box of Hornady's Critical Defense 185-grain FTX's... they did great as well... but that was only a 20-round test as well... however, with their profile I don't see having a problem with these...

Which has been what I have been thinking as well...

... looks like it'll either be 'ball' or the Hornady Critical Defense 185-grain FTX's for this G.I.!

13. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

I have to say you're making me think too hard. You're pistol should have a feed ramp, are you meaning your barrel isn't throated?

14. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

It's my understanding that there are two ways to do a feed ramp on a 1911.

[​IMG]

I believe having the ramped barrel isn't necessarily essential to getting HPs to load properly, but I don't have a whole lot of experience with it. I just use 230 grain ball ammo, so I'll just sit by and let someone with some more experience post their thoughts. :dunno:

15. tango44

tango44

Ball ammo for mine and no problems at all!

16. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

Yep, I've had more issues with ramped barrels than standard GI's. A ramped barrel is more for aluminum frames and higher pressure rounds.

I think the OP is talking about the barrels throat, which would cause issues for feeding HP ammo.

[​IMG]

17. woodrowNC

woodrowNC

if i'm not mistaken thats colts new barrel on the right with the 6oclock undercut. i've got a 3 in new agent that i simply can't make choke on anything. good idea.

18. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

So what do i got? It got it used & it looks like it was messed with. The trigger feels pretty good & has someones initials engraved inside the slide.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. woodrowNC

woodrowNC

conventional feed ramped barrel. and that little .03,.04 gap between the barrel throat and feed ramp is very important.

20. The_Drizzle

The_Drizzle I make it rain!

I have an '09 GI. I put in a 18.5# recoil spring and have yet to find ammo that won't feed.

I usually keep it full of Winchester Ranger.

ETA: Pics!!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011