Glock Talk banner

Deer hunting in very high winds. Question.

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Natty 
#1 ·
First , let me say I hunt in very very close, 20 yards or less. So, with that said.
I went out this morning and sat in my tree stand. The wind wasn't just blowing, it was gusting like a gale. I didn't stay long. The wind blew my tree all over the place, I was actually getting concerned my tree was going to end up on the ground(I know, not realistic) when a big dead tree near me went *CRACK!* CRASH. Onto the ground it went. At that point I lost my nerve. I had already figured that with the conditions a deer would have to be right beside be for me to know it. I was loud as hell with the wind, and everything was blowing all over the place.
Was there much point to me going out at all? What do deer do in weather like this. Would this have been a perfect time for a rifle and creeping from ridge to ridge?
What about scent in this kind of situation?
The leaves are dry and on the ground now, so usually walking is just noisy.

#2 ·
Just my experience;

I never killed a deer in high winds conditions

heck, I never seen a deer in high winds conditions

Now what that said, you will find these animals to include squirrel, hogs, bobcat, to lay low and sit tight. High winds does alot of negatives to deers.

> make identifying sounds impossible at extreme distance

> I think ( just my guess ) their noses can't really pickup smells as good in a lite breeze

> your scent could be blown clean away and next to impossible to pickup by a deer

> a deer would be vulnerable ( more so than what he/she is already is )

my 2cts.....

High winds is a negative in all shapes and sizes for a hunters. A purr-fect wind would be no more than 1-3mph imho.

What I do; read the people or go to online weather channel, if they forcast high winds, than I pull the boat out and do fishing, or if that's not doable, I clean my weapons and load some more ammo for when a better day comes around

;)

#6 ·
They are right, around here deer dont move in high winds. And you are right about the gulleys. They like to get in gulleys or ravines where they are protected from the winds. And they dont like branches falling from overhead so they get in thick but very low brush.

Look for the steepest ravine/gulley on your property they will be in there towards the bottom. They bed down facing downwind, so they can see hunters coming ahead and smell hunters coming from behind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.