close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Decent Electronic Ear Muffs?

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by jeff_in_tx, Mar 30, 2010.

1. jeff_in_tx

jeff_in_tx

Mar 26, 2010
    I went to a local IDPA match this weekend with a buddy. Didn't shoot, only watched. Definitely will be shooting at the next match with my G19.

Anyway, I had a really hard time hearing the buzzer and the RO's commands. I had on regular Peltor ear muffs. I noticed everybody else had some sort of electronic ear protection. I guess the RO felt he didn't need to speak loudly.

I shopped around online a bit and there seems to be a huge price spread ($20-$400). Is there a "sweet spot" pricewise that will get a guy a decent pair?

Is there a preferred brand?

Thanks.

2. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    You might have had a hard time hearing the commands, because you weren't shooting. You were standing behind the R.O, while the shooter is standing in front of the R.O.... his voice is going to be "travelling" forward.

I don't have Electronics, just plain muffs, and have NO issues with hearing commands.

3. Haven't had much chance to test them since IDPA season here just started. But the couple of times I had them on at the range they worked really well. Could hear SO and conversation while doing a good job of muffling shots.

Under $40.

4. HexHead

HexHead

Jul 16, 2009
    Peltor Tactical 7S muffs. Not only do they do a great job, but they use a 9v battery in an external access battery compartment. No risking tearing up the ear cups to change the battery.

5. JimM_PA

JimM_PA

Sep 26, 2001
    PA
    I have the same brand. They have worked well for me so far this year for some indoor shooting as well as for an IDPA shoot this past weekend. There was a wide variety of muffs (electronic and otherwise) at that shoot. I may upgrade at some point, but for now, practice ammo is a higher priority for me.

6. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Southern California
  7. bisdak

bisdak

Jun 22, 2006
    Coffeetown, U.S.A.
    Ive been using the MSA Sordin PRO for the past 2 years and couldnt be happier. You can find them on ebay for low to mid 200's.

8. ecmills

ecmills I shoot guns.

Oct 8, 2004
    Memphis, TN
    Budget?

Radians Pro Amp. $60 on eBay or at Academy sporting goods, $90 in your local BassPro.

Best ears under $100 in my opinion. Peltor's Tac 6 would be my second choice.

I do NOT like neckband-style because they aren't clamped on as tightly. Lying down on a 'bed' at a start, I've seen several sets left lying at the start position while the shooter departed. :supergrin:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  9. jeff_in_tx

jeff_in_tx

Mar 26, 2010
    I bought the Radians set at Academy.

The match starts at 10am today; I'll see how they (and I) do!

10. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    Virginia
    note on the Tac 6

You don't have to tear the ear cups

look for the small slot on the side and separate there with a small screwdriver.

For us they let us hear normally with protection.

11. Ordered some from Harbor Freight--$14.95. I'll post how they do.

12. js0ne

js0ne

Dec 8, 2008
    I never cared for electronic hearing protection over $100, but those Sordin Supremes have definitely caught my eye!

13. mteagle1

mteagle1

Oct 17, 2008
    Great Falls, MT
    Bought the same set from Brownells cheaper. My Dillons were past their 1 year warranty period and their normally great service does not extend to their electronic ear muffs.

14. I have the howard leight impact sport ear muffs they work great and cabelas sells them

15. doc540

doc540

Apr 25, 2007
    Deep SE Texas
  16. The Harbor Freight $15.00 electronic head set hearing protectors arrived--AND THEY WORK. Can easily hear conversation and the buzzer. The shot is muffled. Uses 2 AA batt for 200 hours of use.

17. eljay45

eljay45 NRA member

Jul 14, 2001
    I use Pro Ears, and plugs. They have a good NRR and a five year warranty. Buy the best you can afford. Hearing loss is permanent.