close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

decent deal on 5.11 knife at la police gear

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by rem2429, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. rem2429

rem2429
    Expand Collapse

5.11s on closeout including the 10-8 tanto knife for 39.99. That is 60.00 off their price and well below other forums. Not a great knife, but darn good for 40 bucks.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. rem2429

rem2429
    Expand Collapse

Well, after losing my last benchmade, I bought one of these at $39.99 to replace it in my EDC rotation. While a little big for my tastes, it will do well for EDC clipped into my waist, and I won't cry if I lose it. I'm not a big Tanto fan, but it works well enough for what I need. As a bonus, I learned it works well as a wood chisel. :whistling: The 154cm blade and G10 grips are well made. The liners and liner lock are a little on the thin side and very stiff. It can be opened by a good wrist flick, and I like holes better than studs on the blade. All in all, a good deal for the knife.

3. mercop

mercop
    Expand Collapse

The reason it is on close out because it is a POS. Someone gave my kid one a while back. I never looked at before giving him the box. He opened it up and it was missing a screw from the factory. 5.11 should have stuck to clothes (which are inferior to Woolrich Elite) You could got to Wally World and get yourself a Spyderco Native for about the same price and have a good knife.- George

4. mesteve2

mesteve2
    Expand Collapse

:wow:
    You know sir!
    Sorry 511 did not do a better job :wow:

I have given my wife and twin daughters Spyderco 12 years ago. And they still carry them knives.

They think they are Great!
    :wow:

5. rem2429

rem2429
    Expand Collapse

Hmm...
    No missing screws here.
    154 CM blade
    G10 scales
    admittedly mediocore liner lock
    Not great, but hardly a POS, and half the cost of the cheapest Native I have seen.
    BTW I already own a Delica, which is a great knife.

#5 rem2429, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  6. a1b2c3

a1b2c3
    Expand Collapse

I'm a Spyderco Endura man but I do own one of these 5.11 10-8s and it's a good solid blade that I've been carrying with an endura the last 8 months. I have no complaints on the knife or their clothing.

7. camdz

camdz
    Expand Collapse

In my opinion the $40 Spyderco Native from Walmart was one of the best deals going. They have been discontinued as far as I know (at least around here). I get where you are going though, and wont turn this into a "buy this knife instead" thread.

#7 camdz, Mar 6, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  8. Legion Etrangere

Legion Etrangere
    Expand Collapse

:wow:George,the OP stated it was not a great knife in his post. Yet in your attempt in sharing a little wisdom you kind of thread crapped his post. Better to have sent a PM? I know,I didn't PM you.:supergrin:.

9. mercop

mercop
    Expand Collapse

You are right. I apologize. Dick move on my part.-George