close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Death

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Kingarthurhk, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
  2. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Tragic? Not uniformly, but sometimes achingly so. Necessary? Inevitable given the limited qualities of our physical bodies. Happily, death is only the boundary between two kingdoms. And, we get to choose how we shall live beyond this life. Cool.

3. Our DNA shortens every time it is replicated. We age, we are subject to oncogenic mutations, and we become more susceptible to infection. Some people believe there is something after we die, others believe that we are no different than any other living creature in that we biodegrade and become fertilizer. I think the former belief is much more comforting, but also without a shade of evidence.

4. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

May 21, 2011
    North-Central Florida
    If there was no death, the planet couldn't support the population.

5. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

Dec 23, 2007
    Under the bus
    Death isn't tragic. Sometimes the circumstances may be, but death is the natural way of things. None of us get out of this alive.

I fail to understand the second question, unless you mean it literally, in that case, the world is to small to hold everything that has been born since the beginning of life on this planet. Methinks it would be a bit crowded by now.

Besides, who wants to live forever?

6. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

May 21, 2011
    North-Central Florida
    <--------------------------------

If I was in pain, sick or suffering some other way, and couldn't end it any other way, I wouldn't mind checking out. Otherwise, I'm sticking around as long as I can.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  7. Japle

Japle John, Viera, Fl

Feb 26, 2000
    Viera, Florida
    I plan to live forever.

So far, I'm right on schedule.

8. Death is tragic because God wants us to live and not only live, but have good quality of life. God's original intention was that man should live forever.

Death is necessary because we are seperated from God and He is the source of all life. Only God has life within Himself. The Son also has life within Himself.

John 5:26 For as the Father has life in himself; so has he given to the Son to have life in himself;
    5:27 And has given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.
    5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
    5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, to the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, to the resurrection of damnation.

9. Guss

Guss

Jul 1, 2010
    Tampa
    From Mark Twain -

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

10. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    We all get to do it at least once, it's kinda like a rule or something.

Might as well get used to it, and do it with as much class and style as you can muster.

11. void *

void * Dereference Me!

It's tragic because we as humans find it tragic, when we care about each other.

It's not tragic when we don't. (When a serial killer gets the needle, for instance. I don't find that tragic)

I don't think it's established that it's a necessity, rather than an effect of biological systems being imperfect. There's seagrass that based on data is probably at least a hundred thousand years old, for instance. We've figured out how to extend our lives. We might figure out how to extend them more, potentially indefinitely (barring accident). Although that kind of tech may be a long way away if it's even possible.

Eventually, there won't be enough available energy to sustain life, but I don't think that means death is automatically a necessity, either. Just a fact that means that life will eventually not exist.

12. creaky

creaky Pamwe Chete

Dec 12, 2007
    The Orion Spur
    Finally, a post I can go along with. All except for the last paragraph. I believe there will always be life, scripturally speaking.

What is the current theory, Big Crunch, Cold Death??

13. creaky

creaky Pamwe Chete

Dec 12, 2007
    The Orion Spur
    Even with death, it eventually won't.

All the more reason to put more effort into colonizing the other planets.

14. Kingarthurhk

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    Well, let's examine that thought. If we are evolving toward a better state all the time as Atheists tend to surmise, then this would be compensated for. The species would reproduce less to accomodate its natural surroundings. Clearly, this is not happening.

15. void *

void * Dereference Me!

It's my understanding that, since we've observed that the rate of expansion of the universe is increasing, and it looks like it will continue to do so, either heat death (maximal entropy, no energy available to do work) or every particle being so far apart it won't much matter even if there is a tiny bit of energy available.

16. 427

Nov 23, 2009
    KUMSC
    Over population has a built in check valve. When a population, doesn't matter what it is, gets too big for whatever reason, it dies off.

17. Altaris

Altaris

Feb 16, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    Without death what I am supposed to put on my grill and eat? Death of something else is required so that I may live(plant and animal alike). When I die, my rotting corpse will contribute to the life of some other thing that needs energy to thrive.

18. Kingarthurhk

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    It seems unecessary, inefficient, and certainly not evolving in a positive direction. Why do you suppose that is?

19. Kingarthurhk

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    You aren't required to put a dead animal on your grill to survive.

20. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

Dec 23, 2007
    Under the bus
    Probly because clearly, we don't live forever.