Dealing with Solid Human Waste

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by patermagnus, Feb 12, 2014.

1. I figure I can "bug in" for about a month with the wife and kids and current supplies. Hopefully that amount of time will be lengthening with further prep. Except.... I don't have a great plan to deal with solid human waste. Do have a toilet seat that sits on a 5 gallon bucket, some cat litter to cover odors. What to do with it from there?

Home is in a typical suburb with houses on all 4 sides with sewers/city water. There is a drainage creek in the back, which would be an intermittent water soure (filtered and/or boiled of course).

Thoughts?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

Pooping your neighbors yard

3. May not be exactly what you are looking for, but there is a section on human waste

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1616088583/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]The Mini Farming Guide to Composting: Self-Sufficiency from Your Kitchen to Your Backyard: Brett L. Markham: 9781616088583: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/610iXhlIXYL.@@AMEPARAM@@610iXhlIXYL[/ame]

or this one deals with it full on

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Humanure-Handbook-Composting-Edition/dp/0964425831/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392228507&sr=8-1&keywords=human+waste+composting"]The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure, Third Edition: Joseph C. Jenkins: 9780964425835: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515KMQasR9L.@@AMEPARAM@@515KMQasR9L[/ame]

#3 Lone Kimono, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  4. Or, dry it and burn it.

5. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

my toilet still works if you pour water into it but yeah they do make a seat for a 5 gallon bucket.

6. That is definitely the first option, if there is enough water around. Bringing in a bucket from the creek out back is what I'll do.

I was wondering what people suggest for times when water is more scarce?

7. Could buy some quicklime.

8. quake

Millennium Member

Chemical camping toilet (with plenty of chemicals, bags & a shovel) can serve as a good temporary solution. Not ideal perhaps, but functional and storable.

9. I have a 5 gallon bucket crapper for work, I build bridges/ bridge restoration and sometimes we don't have a porta john or it is way in the boonies. It beats crappin leaned against a tree. They make bags with a powder in them I don't know if the powder is like rid-x or just an absorbent. U gta get rid of the bags somehow so I don't know if that would work or not in your situation.

10. Compost under sawdust is the standard procedure

11. Deputydave

Millennium Member

Very good question. Cody Lundin has an entire section on this and other sanitary consideration in an extended, grid down scenario. Very good book and I highly recommend it.

When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/When-All-Hell-Breaks-Loose/dp/142360105X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392240123&sr=8-1&keywords=cody+lundin+when+all+hell+breaks+loose"]When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes: Cody Lundin, Russell L. Miller, Christopher Marchetti: 9781423601050: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Rv1bRu1yL.@@AMEPARAM@@51Rv1bRu1yL[/ame]

12. Another component to keep on hand is lime. Get 200 lbs of agricultural lime powder. Once the depositor is thru depositing, simply spread a little lime on top of the deposited and this will help with odor and will add beneficial nutrients to the soil once u can pour the bucket out. Just b sure to dig a hole and bury the deposited n a hole where nature can break it down and enhance the soil. Just b as clean as possible when handling waste material because of the risk of contamination.

13. Lime is not needed
    Over complicating a simple matter
    Lay sawdust on it in a far corner
    It will dry out
    IT will decompose
    When covered insects and smell are not issues
    BTDT
    Just keep it away from drainage areas so it does not contaminate water sources

#13 hunter 111, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  14. World Health Organization (seriously) has a great PDF on building latrines.

These people go places and build some serious poop sheds. They know their waste disposal.

Cat litter is a great idea, but how do the cats feel about that?!?!?!

Keep plastic grocery bags for this, by the way. Hang them in the bucket, wrap & remove. Short term only....

#14 Aceman, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  15. I can put my hands on bags of lime very easily, so where do you pick up bags of sawdust? Pet section?

16. sugarcreek

sugarcreek familyman

We did the three bin composting method and 5 gallon bucket toilet for about 5 years as described in the Humanure Handbook by Jenkins. Straw for cover material.

17. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

What if you are in a suburb where everyone is enclosed in their own fenced off housing? Buckets and sawdust or lime would be the only option it seems if you have no other place to go and no creeks and nothing... like most of L.A.

18. Solid waste breaks down pretty fast. In the short term (2-3 months) a simple hole in the back yard a few feet deep will suffice.

I have a regular camp spot in the mountains that I visit several times a year and there are not a lot of places to dig a proper cat hole due to how rocky it is. Because of this, we usually have to dig in the same spots for latrine business. Only a couple of times have I ever seen the remnants of a previous latrine hole and even then it was only some TP scraps; the rest had already been naturally degraded. I know I am not the only guy to use this camp spot either

19. And by the way....a note about the "creek" solution.

Just saying, that IMO, the creek is a PRECIOUS supply of fresh water. Dumping poo in it is the LAST thing I want to do to that!

However, even in this rarified prepping air, look how quickly people are crapping up a fresh water supply.

A few hundred idiots dropping a deuce in the stream, and now we are either thirsty, or sick. Cleaning regular dirty water takes effort. Cleaning serious waste water may not even be possible.

It won't take many people to completely ruin a water source. So, waste and water are related themes.

Hygiene is a critical topic, IMO. I think it is one of the LEAST addressed issues.

Dirt, germs and filth will make any disaster worse.

20. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

Dig a hole. Build an outhouse.